Universal Love YOUR Grand Final Day Story!

Remove this Banner Ad

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey Bigfooty-ers.
So in the glory of the premiership off-season I thought it would be really awesome to share our grand final day experiences, if not because you're bored but because hey -we're premiers, WE CAN.

I don't feel like this has been talked about enough in light of the COLA and Tippett saga, especially as a lot of us on this board all know each other and I guess this is a chance to re-live one of the greatest moments ever. I guess it’s like looking at the Grand Final from heaps of different perspectives – but I think it would be a positive and fun activity that would be a good read.

Mine:

Pre-Game:
4.30am. It was pretty ******* early. The night before I didn’t get much sleep at all, did anyone? Actually packing only took 10 minutes tops, I was going to be lucky enough to stay with my in-laws & SM ;). Got driven to Sydney airport for a 6am Jetstar flight – distinctly remember feeling nauseous both from the time and the nerves.
Pre-Game Entertainment:
Got there SUPPPPER early with SOPH_CROSS and Alex, but time absolutely flew. My view was actually amazing, it was so high up and vertical I thought I’d fall. Trust. Had sworn off alcohol for that week after a way too crazy Commerce Ball. SM was going on and on and on about how important the first 5 minutes was – shows how much he knows. I lost a little bit of faith after Q1, if not also because SM looked like he would be physically ill and that we had already lost it.
Q2 – disbelief, shock. How long could this last?
Q3 – thought that we could actually win it when we were 30 up, and that the next goal much just be enough. NEK MINNIT – they kick to the lead. Felt that ill I went to the bathroom, came back and we were in front. Legitimately contemplated staying in the bathroom the whole match because I’m superstitious like that.
Q4 – So much anger at the umpiring. At the time it was the most frustrating thing ever, in hindsight it wasn’t that much. When we were 12 down I actually thought there was only 5 minutes to go, so I was pretty depressed. Then out of nowhere –HANNERS ? WTF?! Then the person behind us gave us the time and it was 7 minutes, there was hope. That Gunston behind - and SOPH PREDICTING THEM THE WHOLE DAY. The Goodes goal was a blur, I don’t remember seeing it but I remember celebrating it. Absolutely shaking and nearly in tears at that point. The replay showed how much the ball was in Hawthorn’s end, but I wasn’t as nervous maybe because of the angle. If I had actually known how close Sewell came to goaling I would have been losing it. When we got the time update of 1 minute and Jetta had marked it, I officially started tearing up. Didn’t even realize Malceski goaled. When the final siren went – that was the best feeling I’ve had.
Post-Game:
Disbelief. Singing the song way too much. Catching up with Melbourne fans, and my personal savior, bonzaburgers The best bit was I was sober the whole night – didn’t drink a bit of alcohol so I remember everything. Left the gang fairly early at 10 that night, and went on to catch-up with a mate and solidify that day/night as the best I’ve had.

Its Hard to put down in words how amazing the day was & even how amazing the weekend itself was

I flew down to melbourne on the thursday night and just before i flew into Avalon we flew over the MCG and it was lit up and you could see the ground i LOST it and the guy next to me asked why i was smiling so much...as i got off the Plane he said good luck and have fun

I went up for the parade and such and caught up with some of my fave BF Crew on the Friday...great fun

GAME DAY:

I slept well and woke up at around 8 as i had a few too many drinks the night before

I caught the train up from Geelong making small talk on the train and telling a Cat's supporter to put money on Nick Smith for Norm Smith...i wish haha

I arrived in Richmond and Found grimlock vonn SM bonzaburgers and we made our way over to the ground to which we made plans for the night WIN or LOSE and i remember walking up to our gate hands shaking and scanning my ticket and walking INSIDE the MCG on GRAND FINAL DAY i lost it again

Sitting down between Vonn and Alex i took in the incredible MCG and just sat in complete awe it was 2 hours to the 1st Bounce but time raced away! I do remember watching the Sprint and even tough Harry Cunningham came 2nd he did beat the Hawks player which was my 1st little sign of goodness to come!

Q1 and the 1st Mal Goal was incredible and i was pretty good until the siren blew then i was nervous but was ok as there was still plenty of footy to be played

Q2: I sat and watched some amazing footy by our boys and mentioned to Alex how much we attacked through the middle it was amazing to have that lead, was super proud and half time was a little more easier to take in Especially when the Temper Trap played "Sweet Disposition" everytime i heard that song at games this year we won...Goodness No.2

Q3: Opened up with the Kennedy Goal i was on cloud 9 but kept myself in check...I thought to myself how lucky McVeigh was to get that 50m...just kept us in front...Alex reminding me that the team in front at 3Q Time always won the GF...Goodness No.3

04: THE MOST AMAZING FOOTY I HAVE EVER SEEN! The Morton Goals...The Hannbery Goal...The tackles the courage, The Goodes Goal (Feel back in my seat & cried thats when i knew we were going to win & Screaming "NOW LIFT BOYS") THE BLOODS, Predicting the Poster of Jack Gunsten, The Malceski Goal...GOODNESS NO.4 I remember asking for the time left and a guy told us 7 Mins they went so fast i remember thinking it would go so slow! THE SIREN was the sweetest sweetest sound i have ever Heard i just jumped into Alex's arms and cried and then Vonn and I sat and cried and then we just screamed and cheered and got around all the other swans fans!

I remember running around the MCG and Finding everyone bedford S120 Danz4 and everyone else! I think i screamed "How good is this" alot then finally we left the AMAZING MCG singing the club song at the top of our lungs and me waving my flag whilst getting phone calls & Text messages one after another

DRINKS at Young and Jackson with the entire crew was a blast the best fun...great time and ill never forget it im so happy i got to spend it with you all...stayed out late Eating Maccas with Travis Cloke and then eating Dumplings at 4am before crawling into bed....Sore feet and No Voice (Lost it for a week) before waking at 7am to be at lake side to see the boys

BEST WEEKEND EVER!

Sorry if i forgot anyone that i shared the day with it was just so great xx

7pm Friday: In my excitement, turned up Strathfield station 2 hrs early. Went to pub.
approx 8.50pm. Boarded train. Went to kiosk, bought beer.
10.30 pm. Cabin mate weird young fella, slept with one ear open.
6am. woken up with a coffe, feeling a bit hazy but pumped
6.15. Nearly break neck having a shower in the closet passed of as a shower.
730. Hello Melbourne!
7.40. Going wrong way, lady picks me in my Swans gear, points me in the right direction.
8 am. Walking along Yarra, taking pictures, spots Cafe
830 Having a nice serve of brekkie, enviously peering at the lads who came in after me, convincing the Manager to pony up some beers. It worked.
9am. Looking for a pub.
9.30 Gave up, walked to ground, did a lap, took some pics, had a look at the radio booths.
10 am found possie near gates, reading the Record waited for gatesopen

approx 1pm-halftime talking to those around me, having a few frothies, taking pics. Team up with the swans fan next to me who his with his little bro, chants, boos. Lots of others flying solo around me. Some nuffys some friendly.
half time head out the ground, stretch legs, say g'day to Lisa May...didn't know she like a ciggie.
it gets a little hazy from here.
5 mins or so to go. Adrenaline cutting through the beers, losing my voice....Goodes goals!! then... MAL GOALS!!! cue absolute mayhem, random hugs, missed high fives, croaking like a frog, trying to keep it together.
Final Siren..it's all too much, i tear up.

Ceremony. taking as many pics and vids as i can, i may never be here again
6 pm. Walking back to the station. Feet not touching the ground, feeling 10 feet tall, random GO SWANS, more random hugs and high fives..oh s**t, going wrong way, again...

6.30pm have time to kill, head to hotel across the road from the station, had a couple of pints, chatted with more swans fans
730 voard train, find cabin. Head to the kiosk. Train full of swans fans, more randomness
830. Find out my cabin mate, on older gentleman, also went to the game, and is a good mate of my best mates dad from Tamworth, small world. More beers.
930 Train runs out of beer(yeah right), head back to cab. Bruce pulls jumbo bottle of red from his bag, nice drop too, talk footy to the wee hours.
7am. back at Strathfield, straight home feeling s**t, but watch GF anyway,
11am. Go to bed again,
5pm. woke up, had a feed, watched GF again.

BEST...DAY...EVER

Woke up. Caught the train in round 11.

Went to some pub on Collins St. Probably had one or two too many beers given the early hour.

Wandered over the G around an hour before the start. Walked through the gates behind some of the reserves boys, who were in decent enough spirits given they were missing out.

Drank another settling beer.

Watched the game. Annoyed my mate with 4th quarter pessimism. He arced up. Issued an apology. Some chatty young guy behind me had the radio in, so we got to yell the 10-second count down at the Hawks supporters in the bay opposite.

We won. Celebrated a bit, danced around, made amends with a guy that had got angry when I stood up to take my rain poncho off in the 4th quarter (it was a stoppage).

Headed to the Rising Sun. Got on Channel 10 news in Perth. Started a few LRT chants. Watched the replay. Started some more LRT chants. Pub ran out of beer.

Wandered up to the Emerald. Had one beer and was depressed by the surroundings.

Walked back up to St Kilda Rd and got a tram home.

Next day attended a lunch with my relos, were I was literally unable to speak more than a couple of words at a time.

Went home. Watched the replay. Watched on the Couch. Got a pizza. Watched more replay.

Righteo, then. I should be sleeping, but here goes.... enjoy my ramblings!

The day itself was just crazy. Not knowing what the weather was going to do to us, we came prepared for all weather conditions, and Melbourne duly obliged. Felt like we had four seasons (well, apart from summer) before the opening bounce.

Began the day meeting up with Mum's friends for coffee at a deli/cafe a stone's throw from the 'G. Our close family friend (from the same country town as Alistair Clarkson, Kaniva for those of you playing at home), who always goes to games with my mum, took her teenage god-son along as a birthday present for him. I thought he was a Swans fan, but it turned out he was a Bomber. Needless to say he barracked for the Swans all day, not that he had a choice sitting with us! But more on the game later. Maybe he brought good vibes, due to the Ted connection (I believe the Richards family and the Watsons are quite tight, apparently Jobe was seen at the Rising Sun the night before).

Anyhoo, where was I? Generosity nearly turned to stupidity when she realised she'd forgotten his ticket, an unforgivable sin! A phonecall and a short wait for said ticket to arrive, and we were on our way to the 'G.

The heavens started to open (again) and we hurried inside, without having much of a chance to soak up the atmosphere outside the ground.

The wait for the game to start was a bit of a blur. Couldn't eat. We took cover a few times in the bowels of the southern stand when the rain looked like coming, I don't know how the game itself stayed dry, I consider it some sort of miracle. I remember bumping into SOPH_CROSS 's Hawks friend from the day before after the parade, she thought I was grimlock.

The game itself... unbelievable. Much has been said about the Hawks' shoddy conversion on the day, but we missed some sitters in the first quarter and while I didn't panic, I knew we had to hit back early in the second because you don't want to fall too far behind a high scoring team like Hawthorn. I actually thought the first quarter was pretty even despite their late goals, I think we just struggled to clear their zone coming out of defence. Pyke took some terrific marks and Johnson was reading the play so well in the backline. I didn't get a proper look at Hanners' mark live. He was my pick for BOG on the day, but when I watched the replay I reckon they got it right picking O'Keefe for the Norm Smith... just a tad more consistent.

Was at the Swans cheersquad end and it was rocking in the second and early in the third, with the L-R-T chants (great work). The vibe was confident, but I kept telling myself at half time, it's only 3 goals. Still couldn't eat.

The Hawks comeback happened in a flash, for some reason I felt like I was watching one of those Swans-Eagles classic games from the 2005-2006 era where one team would establish a break and the other would find a way to come back. But these two teams took it to another level in this game, this was an epic in every sense of the word. Still couldn't eat.

For some reason I wasn't worried when we went 2 goals behind early in the last quarter, and was probably more relieved that it happened so early. I probably took comfort out of the fact that Luke Ablett kick to Ben Cousins in 2005 happened early in the quarter also.

I knew we had it after the Goodes goal. I thought there was no way, that the guys who missed out in 2006, would let this one slip now, after working so hard to regain the lead. McVeigh gathered some critical touches in that last quarter, which you had to see in replay to appreciate some of his work.

Was getting regular updates of how long there was to go from the radio, and those last 7 minutes went by so quickly, couldn't believe it when there were only 2 minutes to go.

The last 40 seconds after Mal's goal and after the siren were just bliss, pure red and white joy. Can't remember how I reacted now. I think our whole section was on its feet by then. I actually went speechless for a few seconds immediately after the end of the game, because it was such a crazy match, I was sitting quite close to CAS79 and Danz4 but I think we lost each other in the celebrations.

Stayed for the post-match party at the 'G with the Bombers fan (now fully converted to the Bloods, who wouldn't be after a game like that), I thought it was important to share the moment with the people I'd sat with for most of the season.

Remember getting texts to join the BF crew in the city after but I never actually made it there, was 8:30 by the time our mob sat down for dinner in Chinatown (best meal I ever had after a very LONG day), and by the time we'd eaten and enjoyed a couple of drinks, we were all pretty much exhausted. Maybe it was for the best because the next day Mum & I went for brunch with our relatives in Melbourne who we hadn't seen in years, so was very happy we were able to re-connect.

Would love to hear stories about how others spent/enjoyed the day. It's a special moment in the life of a football fan and I've been lucky enough to experience it twice in my lifetime. I think I appreciated this one a lot more than the first, because I had more of an appreciation for what it takes to get there. Rhyce Shaw summed it up perfectly, Swans on their deathbed on the verge of folding in the early 90s, NEK MINNIT we win two flags in seven years. ;)

SM was going on and on and on about how important the first 5 minutes was – shows how much he knows.

Except the first five minutes WERE important! It was a real arm-wrestle, with few easy possessions, and quite a few goal-less minutes before the Hawks kicked the first. I took that as a positive sign for us, because we were able to contain them and play 'our' brand of football. If Hawthorn had gotten away to a flyer early it could have been a long day at the office! Give the LOYL some credit ;)

I went to a pub in London. I traveled down early on Friday on a 5 hour train trip and arrived late-ish Friday afternoon. Once i checked into the hostel i tried to get a few hours nap before heading off to a sold out Walkabout pub which ended up having over 1,000 punters turnout. But, i didn't get those few hours sleep i needed due to nerves. I saundered down to the Walkabout at 4am to find a massive que to get in where i met an equally nervous Hawthorn couple. I don't really remember much else as i had a bit to drink, but there were plenty of hugs from a lot of Swans randoms who we all kept asking each other "How good is this?" after the siren and for many hours afterwards. We all talked about points during the game, how great sections of it were and how we reacted when Malceski's sealer floated through..... Will never forget any of it!

I took the chance in booking a mid afternoon train back, in the hope that if we won i could watch a replay, which i ended up doing back at the hostel i was staying in, where i could relax a bit. It would of been a loooooong wait for the train if we had of lost. lol. I ended up recieving calls over Skype from my old man and my brother congratulating on the victory as well and finally got some sleep on the train back to Glasgow.

Except the first five minutes WERE important! It was a real arm-wrestle, with few easy possessions, and quite a few goal-less minutes before the Hawks kicked the first. I took that as a positive sign for us, because we were able to contain them and play 'our' brand of football. If Hawthorn had gotten away to a flyer early it could have been a long day at the office! Give the LOYL some credit ;)

Yeah absolutely, and I was actually relieved after the first five that it hadn't blown out.

Yeah absolutely, and I was actually relieved after the first five that it hadn't blown out.

Cause you were sooooo relieved after Q1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NOW POST YOUR STORY

Basically just take your, flip the perspective, and add in Soph's description of what we did after you left. I feel mine is kind of redundant. :p

Awake at 530, flight at 7, scammed a lift in the taxi to my mate's place in Brunswick, got brunch, repeatedly made jokes about 'Brunchwick', went back to mates place where they were setting up a canopy and screen, had a few drinks, left to get the tram into the city, realised at the Zoo that I'd forgotten my ticket, went and got my ticket, met with mates at some bar on Swan St, walked to game, roller coaster, presentation, went to the city for a bit, went back to mates place where a shindig was under way, threw down my liquid / MC Hammer fusion moves, someone started playing TNGHT tracks and at about 2 I decided that was a bit much. Sleep on floor.

Was such a perfect week that I don't know where to start...

May as well start at the exact moment we took out Collingwood in the preliminary final (Watched the match with two Collingwood supporters who had been giving me so much crap about us about their streak over us that when we won I actually think I wasn't that bad (Although in hindsight I think I made poor David cry...))

After that I didn't really get much work done during the week... spent most of it searching up sports news, stalking bigfooty or searching up grand final theories and superstitions... Was sitting accross from a couple of hawks fans... so decided to decorate my desk appropriately

377178_10151075279608616_1736214543_n.jpg

Although I also did find time to go and pick up my ticket on the Monday :)

557068_10151071597958616_277529791_n.jpg

Due to me being so superstitious during the week I actually didn't want Kennedy to win the Brownlow medal (Has anyone else noticed that that that thing is cursed when it comes to grand finals??? Think of Goodes and 06 or Cousins and 05 or Swan and 11 it's cursed I tell you!!!)
So was rather happy when Watson won it :p

On the other nights during the week distracted myself by getting the new fifa and more browsing of bigfooty and several other forums.

On grand final parade day managed to somehow end up giving a random little kid a lift on my back so he could watch it all and after the parade managed to meet up with SOPH_CROSS grimlock Danz4 and even the infamous bedford was great meeting all of them but all this seemed to do was make me even more nervous on the day...

The actual morning of the day involved me going to Elsternwick station and meeting up with the Hawk's supporter who had managed to con us out of tickets on this board.. Got one of the tickets back and passed it to an old member of this board HooleyMcBoob (She used to post a few years ago here and had met up with us all at the parade the previous day).

Then the next thing I knew was I was on the way to the ground on the training talking to an 80 year old south fan about his previous experiences at Lakeside oval (Was actually really interesting)

Then I got to the ground and went to a little pub around the side of it to meet up with SM vonn grimlock SOPH_CROSS and Danz4 and we made our plans for after the match... Win or lose (Although if we had lost sorry guys I wouldn't of been up for going out...)

After that managed to take my seat at the ground (Was in the perfect pocket for the match... with most of the goals (Including Malceski's and Hanner's) as well as the run between Cyril and Jetta (The photo doesn't give it justice sadly... and the broadcast equipment did leave when the match started)

564252_10151077884758616_572036301_n.jpg

Apart from that the rest of the prematch is a bit of a blur... Although I did get really annoyed at the stupid countdown...

1st Quarter...

Oh god the anger.... I don't think I had ever been this frustrated with umpires before... there really wasn't too much to cheer about the Jetta run was awesome, And Hanner's mark I swear I heard the crunch... Malceski's goal was amazing and I will admit I did clap at Gunston's goal (Went to school with Jack for ten years, His actually a really nice guy not cocky in the slightest)

2nd Quarter...

Brilliant, Amazing, Wonderful, Lovely and Perfect all wrapped up in one!!! Loved Kennedy's goal from the set shot... a real hush went over everybody as he kicked it and it was never in doubt, OH AND THE MORTON GOALS WERE AMAZING!!!!

3rd Quarter

Started off awesome... then went sour very very quickly...Kennedy combining with Jetta for that first goal gave me real hope... and When LRT goaled I was starting to get a bit confident... boy did things turn sour quickly though... I think the low light was watching Franklin kick that freak goal from 60 out... great goal... horrible time for him to kick it though... After Macca got his goal though all I could do was hope that we could last until 3/4 time knowing it would be a bit of a confidence boost...

4th Quarter

Oh god had given up by the ten minute mark... I really had just sat there praying... literally... had lost all hope... but when Hanner's goal went through and I saw him trying to rev us up I had suddenly found voice and was screaming for us to go on and win this thing... I remember a little old man screaming the times left in the quarter and when Goodes got his goal... basicing begging that we got one more after watching miss after miss from Hawthorn (Couldn't even find a way to feel sorry for Jack when he hit the post... Although I did feel for him when I watched the replay after the match...)
When Malceski's goal went through and the fan screamed 40 seconds left over and over again we were all screaming but I don't think a single fan around me thought we had won!!! We did all stand though... and when that siren went was the biggest hug frenzy I have ever been involved in!!!! So many happy fans and incredible memories!!! (I remember giving my flag to a little kid who was behind me so he had something to wave as I was just waving my scarf like a crazy person :p)

564116_10151077910793616_1730832261_n.jpg

oh and the whole crowd in our area was laughing at Kenny's rev up before the team sung the song was incredibly funny :p

391646_10151077908113616_222715110_n.jpg

After that managed to somehow find grimlock Danz4 (Who I swear hugged me screaming his head off for five minuets) SOPH_CROSS SM and vonn (Who will owe me for the rest of her life :p) and after about ten minuets of us all jumping and screaming like idiots (And me buying ten Weg Posters...) a bunch of my mates turned up to the MCG and basically mobbed me joining in on the celebrations (in fact of of these guys is Murraj1966 )

After eventually leaving the stadium one of the highlights of my life happened with all of us singing the Swan's song on the train and a poor hawks supporter sitting in the middle of us and somehow rejecting a hug from SOPH_CROSS :p I swear the whole train echoed with us singing that amazing song over and over again :D:D

Oh and after some Hungry Jacks and a bit of a walk the atmosphere at Young and Jacksons was incredible and amazing all wrapped up in one (Has now become pretty much my favourite bar in Melbourne just because of that one night :D)

Eventually left Young and Jackson at around 11 or 11:30 to see a few more friends and catch a replay at home :D Before heading to South Melbourne at 7am in the morning... and getting celebartory Teppanyaki on the Monday after (It's a dam good way to celebrate o.k???)

385087_10151080392283616_917320737_n.jpg

All in all that is a very long summery of the greatest week of my life <3

Friday
6:00 am- wake up and drive down to melbourne with my dad. Quite a nice drive tbh. Nice scenery outside, had my swans scarf out the window for the whole time. Every swans supporter who drove past we beeped eachother yelling out the windows go the swannies.

5:00 pm - Arrive in Richmond where we would stay at my dads sisters luxurious apartment, 5 minute walk from the MCG.

7:00 pm - Go down the road to a corner pub with my dad, met up with my cousin and his mate and they had a few beers, but I'm 16 so I just stuck to the coke. Had a good chat about the game, our predictions (I actually predicted we would win by 10 points and that Hannebery would get the North Smith, which he should have)

10:00 pm - Walked back with my dad making sure he didn't try and tackle a bus.

11:00 pm - Tried going to bed but couldn't sleep so I took a melatonin sleeping pill which did the trick.

Saturday

10:00 am - wake up, this was the earliest i'd woken up in a long time. Jump out of bed, pumped, butterflies in stomach, watched a bit of prematch news and then took off.

11:30 am - Arrive at the G, me and my Dad were in different bays. About 15,000 people inside the stadium, sat there and watched all the pre-game entertainment etc.

1:00 pm - the stadium starts to get pretty full, was surrounded by Red and White, old grandmother south melbourne faithful takes a seat next to me. I would go on to answer "Who's that with the ball, I can't see" and "Oh that was a great goal, who kicked that" about 50 times throughtout the game -.-

2:30 pm 1st qr - IT'S ON. butterflies in stomach couldn't go away no matter how hard I tried, was getting frustrated, weren't very efficient, Hawks dominating.

2qr - :D Is this real life? :))))

3qr - continued our dominance for half of the 3rd, then Hawks stepped it up, Buddy started looking dangerous, consequetive goals. CMONNNN SWANSSSS DONT * ME OVER

4 qr - The best qr of football I have ever seen, the most hard faught qr anyone has ever watched. Bodys flying, injuries everywhere. Hannerbery steps up big time, kicks the goal to give us our momentum back. That was my favourite moment of the GF. Goodes, AJ, Mummy, Richards, Jetta. They're all rooted. Nek minnnnnitttttttt

The best moment of my *ing life. Hugged anyone I could see, was pure euphoria. Too good to explain. Stayed at the ground for a good one hour looking at the players and the cup go round, was actually on the fence in the frontrow high fiving the players, got a good closeup glimpse of the cup. just the best day ever.

I was away on a long weekend with friends on the NSW south coast. When you have little ones, you can kiss your chances of being at the ground goodbye. At least, that's my story.

With yanks and kiwis among the group, fellow AFL supporters were hard to find. Only three of us were present for the opening bounce. By the start of the final quarter though, the drama of the game had attracted people like a magnet, and the room was packed. When Mal's goal went through, I picked up my four year old daughter and ran around the room like a crazy person. She started to cry. I'm assuming she foresaw losing her father to a secure mental health facility for an extended period.

For the remainder of the weekend I was not entirely present, continually disappearing to rewatch the last five minutes on my smart phone.

ESSAY TIME

Grand Final Eve
Aimed to catch the parade but flight was delayed (thanks Virgin) so I made it to Parliament House just as it had finished. Met up with SOPH_CROSS bedford bonzaburgers Danz4 CAS79 rwfan83 and some others at a nearby pub (can't recall it's name but officially purchased my most expensive burger ever there. It cost $20 and still tasted worse than Macca's). Lots of Swans/AFL/GF talk. Left late afternoon to meet up with my cousins who gave me a lift back to their house where I was staying. Had a few drinks with them but a relatively subdued night, watched Before the Game GF edition and then went to bed.

Grand Final Day
Woke up reasonably early and had a big breakfast at a cafe. At the time I thought it was a big mistake to down so much food as there would be a good chance I'd regurgitate the majority of its reconstituted contents on the way to the game but in hindsight it was the best move of the day as I didn't eat another thing until about 8.30 that night. Took the train into the Fed Square to pick up my ticket from a mate, then tried to get to the Cricketers Arms to meet up with the BF crew.

Got lost along the way, had to double back and along the way bumped into aforementioned BF Crew who were trying to sneak away from the pub without me noticing. (Nice try guys). Walked with them to the MCG, soaking up the excitement and atmosphere in between giving worrying looks to the sky, and then left them to get to my seat which was at ground level, near the Hawthorn cheersquad.

Tried to calm the nerves by distracting myself and watching the pre-match activities but then a rumour started going around that Mumford was out of the team with a hammy/back/calf/forget to perm his hair injury. Metaphorically crapped my daks and spent the next 45 minutes browsing web sites/Twitter/Facebook/BF/other forums for any news and end up wasting 40% of my precious phone battery in vain. Finally saw him come out to do the warmup which convinced me that it was a malicious hoax started by Hawks supporters, not knowing how close he was to not playing.

I can recall many pieces of individual play, but many big chunks went missing that surprised me when I was watching the replay later on. Because the majority of the goals were kicked to my end (15 of 21?) those stick out the most. I recall screaming at Morton to snap at the goals when he had those 2 opportunities, I remember Goodes' goal at the end, and I definitely can visualise KJ picking up the loose ball after Young stumbled (although at the time I thought it was a blatant push) and goaling. Hanners' mark and Mattner's tackle near the end also stick out in my mind.

I also recall thinking that we were 'home' when we kicked the first couple of the third quarter, of course that was a horrible thing to think and was almost our kiss of death. Then when the Hawks kicked the first 2 of the last I thought we were GAWN (oh me of little faith) before that incredible finish.

For Mal's last goal, I vividly remember the minutes leading up to it. Pyke's kick out of midair for Jetta to mark. Praying to my non-existent god(s) for him to kick the goal, prematurely leaping out of my seat when the angle of his shot looked good and then biting every finger nail in the ensuing scramble around the goalmouth. When his kicked sailed through, everyone leapt up and started hugging each other like complete loonies. But it was only when someone with a radio earpiece said 40 seconds left that it hit me that we had won the bloody premiership that I started to tear up with what had just happened. Siren sounded, I screamed the song out like I had never before (I have a video of it, oh I sound awful in it).

Post match, tried to meet up with the BF crew again, but in a Benny Hill-esque set of events, went around to their area while they came around to mine. Had little battery on my phone so that added to the whole shemozzle. Bought a few WEG posters while waiting, bumped into Danz4 and his parents coming out, then bonzaburgers and his mates. Finally, we all met up, including that noted hipster S120, the ninja qqaaxx, surprised SOPH_CROSS with a big hug before being ambushed by vonn with another. Caught train back to Southern Cross, tormented a poor Hawks supporter who was incredibly humble and cool about it. Grabbed some food, tried to figure out where to go, for some reason we took a tram and walked to Young and Jacksons instead of catching a train which seemed easier to me, but hey I don't live in Melbourne so what do I know?

Y&J was going off, multiple renditions of the club song were sung, plenty of L-R-T chants were raised. The next few hours are still a blur to me but the following events did happen:
  • Got told off by some snarky bartender for starting one too many L-R-T chants. he must be an Essendon supporter.
  • Tried to convince SM that the female bartender was definitely not cute, just because she was wearing a Carlton jumper.
  • Saw the spiky hair Swans supporter that always ends up on the TV coverage.
  • Propositioned by some older lady, ew no thanks I'm not that drunk. Yet.
  • Took a phone call from bedford, tried to convince him to come up from the Rising Sun but he never materalised.
  • At some point in time hours later, we decided the best option was to go to a strip club.
  • On the way to the strip joint, we spot a Macca's and decided we desperately needed to replenish our empty stomachs. We spot Travis Cloke in line with his smoking hot blonde GF, SM goes up to him and basically molests him on behalf of vonn. We also see a puddle of blood just outside the bathroom door. Turns out that there's this girl totally not with it who has managed to cut herself. The good samaritans in our group help her clean up and get her home.
  • At this time, the strip club is completely forgotten about, and we decide dumplings at 3am sounded pretty tempting. We point to the first page of the menu and said we'll have all of these thanks, the stunned waitress takes a deep breath, before cheekily turning to the second page and asking if we want the dumplings at the top too. Yeah why not. Ate about 3 dumplings in total before giving up. 4am decide to call it a night.
Head back to hostel, took a shower, went to sleep at 5am. Woken up at 7am by a phone call from some inconsiderate, rude person who enquired about then declined to go to Lakeside. Finally drag myself out of bed at 8am, skip the free breakfast, head down to Lakeside via 2 trams. Couldn't see much due to the size of the crowd. Ate a sausage. Was the best food I had in Melbourne. Make my way back to my cousins' place, basically crash the whole afternoon then took the evening flight back to Sydney.

I cant believe SM molested Travy and I didn't :(

• At this time, the strip club is completely forgotten about, and we decide dumplings at 3am sounded pretty tempting. We point to the first page of the menu and said we'll have all of these thanks, the stunned waitress takes a deep breath, before cheekily turning to the second page and asking if we want the dumplings at the top too. Yeah why not. Ate about 3 dumplings in total before giving up. 4am decide to call it a night.
Arguably highlight of the night.

Ok guess I'll add my version of what seems to be the only GF story people are reading. Feels like that episode of the Simpsons where you get the three version of the same day...

Pre-Game
I'd stayed at Dad's the night before but woke up pretty early because I couldn't sleep too well. His step-daughter, 7, otherwise known as Birth Control, had decorated the house with red and white streamers in the heart of Hawthorn so it was a beautiful sight to wake up to. Got dragged out to pick Vonn up soon after and came back for a quick breakfast before we headed out to meet up with Soph and Grim at a pub. They were both predictably late so we put a few bets on for the GF, and I proceeded to talk Vonn out of betting on O'Keefe for Norm Smith in favour of Goodes. Troll successful.

Caught up with the others and headed for the MCG, just couldn't believe we were there and determined to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the day no matter the result. We found our seats which were brilliantly angled for the Malceski snap in the first. The pre-game went surprisingly fast, I was convinced it would drag on and on.

The Game
I had been telling Vonn that the first five minutes were crucial because I was convinced if the Hawks blew us out of the water early it would destroy our confidence due to most of the players having never won at the MCG before and never playing in front of such a crowd. We hung with them which was a huge positive, but the quarter was still a write off as far as I was concerned, apart from the brilliant Malceski snap which just kept spinning into the goal from the impossible angle. Other lasting memory was the Hanners mark. What a beauty. Also remember Pyke seemingly clunking them from everywhere.

Second quarter I've forgotten a lot of, apart from our unbelievable comeback, though I can't pinpoint specific moments. Were the Morton snaps in this quarter? Just remember screaming "SUCK IT GRIM" after his second and dancing around. When Reid kicked one and we were ripping them up through the middle I was feeling a lot better.

Third quarter we got the first and I was convinced one or two more would be game over. When Kennedy hit the post I knew that had been the big chance to end it there and then. Hawks come back was unbelievable, the two Buddy goals were freakish but at the time it was the worst sight in the world to see that Hawks cheersquad go up, my heart just sank and my gut twisted.

Still in front by a point at 3/4 time gave me some hope because of the 35-year old stat about the team leading at 3/4 time having not lost it. The back and forth in the last was nerve-wracking, and the Hawks misses just piled it on. When we finally had an idea of how long was to go I felt more and more sick. When Jetta threw himself at the ball to get it to Hanners and I immediately called it as my moment of the match, the way Hanners pumped himself up after the goal gave me hope, and when Goodes and Jack put us in front I dared to dream, as the time ran down. When Malceski kicked his goal, it was just a blur of noise, emotion, and hugging. I just remember praying for the siren and when it blew, it was the sweetest sound I have ever heard, and that instant still sticks in my mind as bringing this huge hit of emotion and adrenalin. I felt kind of numb, and just couldn't believe it.

Post-Game
Kind of like Grim, it was just a blur of moments for me.

• Sitting at the station charging our phones. Actually buying a charger because my phone was dead. Getting Hungry Jacks and just having some down time after the huge adrenalin rush.
  • Heading to Young & Jackson and convincing my mate to come out and catch up. Having about 4 Cheeky Rascal Ciders which were apparently double strength cider, which was pointed out to me by the bartender after my third. My mate rubbing it in that he'd put $50 on ROK for Norm Smith, and shouting drinks with his winnings.
  • Pissing off the bartender by giving Judd s**t.
  • Hooley's reaction to finding out I was Stat_Machine: "But you're so nice! I always thought you were such a dick head!"
  • Soph kissing someone I think.
  • LRT chants and Swans songs from the band.
  • Deciding to go to a strip club
  • Going to Maccas and shaking Cloke's hand because everyone else was too shy, and saying I was glad he stayed at the Pies, and him just giving me a massive WTF look. Maybe that's his normal face, I dunno.
  • Helping a drunk chick get home.
  • Deciding on dumplings, and ordering the entire page because we couldn't decide and throwing money at the waitress so she didn't think we were pissing around. Then eating about 2 dumplings and deciding I wasn't that hungry.
  • Struggling to find a cab that would take me to Hawthorn because it was too close or something. Finally getting one after about 15 minutes.
  • Collapsing into bed at about 5am and deciding I was not getting up at 7 to go to Lakeside.

They were both predictably late so we put a few bets on for the GF, and I proceeded to talk Vonn out of betting on O'Keefe for Norm Smith in favour of Goodes. Troll successful.

You are a dick.

EDIT: I forgot to add something to mine, later on that night I was with some Collingwood members and an Essendon one, who told me that grand final was one of the best they'd seen and that Sydney were now their second team. The legitimacy of that comment is doubtful but it was nice to see how universally respected we are nevertheless.

Pre-Game:
Friday 6pm - arrived home in Perth after a 26hr flight from New York via Hong Kong, was met at airport by a mate who dropped me home only to be told that we have tickets to the game and are flying in a few hours so pack a bag! ... by 11pm I was boarding another plane bound for the MCG!

Pre-Game Entertainment:
Arrived in Melbourne at 5.30am and heading straight to Etihad Stadium and the North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast, first beer of the day at 7.00.01am, have heard many good things about this breakfast and it didnt disappoint.

Q1 If i say I was nervous that would be an understatement, it was a little bit of a blur actually maybe overwhelming but I remember just thinking to myself that they had the opportunity to blow us of the park and didn't take it - there is still hope!

Q2 – WTF? Where did that come from? Did they swap jumpers not ends at quarter time? Then I remember a game early in the season down in Launceston, we won well after a slow start I said to myself .... maybe we can actually do this!

Q3 – When we went 30 points up, I wasn't thinking that the game was over but I was sitting comfortable in my seat, taking the time since first bounce down to enjoy my beer and actually taking the magnitude of being at the MCG on Grand Final in that sea of RED watching the boys put on one of their more impressive performances ..... then BOOM! ... by Q3 time I was sweating wondering WTF just happened!

Q4 – I remember thinking to myself that we needed to kick the first goal and hang on for grim life, when they goaled then goaled again I honestly thought that was it, when Hanners goaled there was a glimmer of hope, then Young fell over and Kizza goaled and we had momentum, the SWANS chant was deafening, through-out the quarter I had absolutely no idea what time was and when Goodesy goaled I was starting to become a true believer that I was witnessing something special and I was just screaming BLOW THE SIREN! The next 6 mins seemed like 60mins, when Mal goaled I lost it, jumping up and down and yes I had a little tear in my eye ... when the final siren went – its indescribable, words don't do it justice, the most amazing feeling anyone can experience, only felt it once before on sunny September saturday afternoon in 2005.

Post-Game:
Absolute disbelief and euphoria. I just kept singing and singing the club song way all the way to South Melbourne where I caught up with a group of friends at a pub just in time to watch of all things a REPLAY!!. Kept on toasting and singing into the night, ended up at Crown playing blackjack with 4 other swans fans till 6am before heading back to my mates apartment in South Melbourne for a shower and break before the long flight home to Perth.

I can honestly say that was the best 40 hours I've had in my life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back