Your Guilty Pleasure

Remove this Banner Ad

Lana Del Rey and Kanye are in my top 3 favourite musicians (Deafheaven the other but no guilt there).

Interesting noms.

I had Lana Del Rey pigeonholed as bland singer songwriter stuff, but sheā€™s a decent lyricist who has some killer hooks.

Kanye I kind of get. Hit and miss lyrically, often rejected by hardcore hip hop fans. People tend to dislike him based on his personality moreso than his artistic ability.

Deafheaven are great too, and I think they get unfairly criticised. Not black metal, but the best elements are undoubtedly BM influenced. Closer in reality to shoegaze, but donā€™t sit comfortably in that scene either.

I had Lana Del Rey pigeonholed as bland singer songwriter stuff, but sheā€™s a decent lyricist who has some killer hooks.
I can see why you could see Lana as bland or even can't stand her. That's why it's a guilty pleasure. Substantial negatives include...
- Voice doesn't have amazing range and she is apparently pretty inconsistent live (probably the best indication of quality).
- Some repetitive themes, some of which about fame and materialism are obviously shallow as well.
- Most fans I know are entitled, influencer wannabes that match Lana's somewhat diva personality.

Despite this I find her blend of classical and modern pop the best of both worlds. Her music is easy listening personified. She's creatively introspective of her criticisms. I never understood the dark appeal of beauty, glamour, drugs, bad relationships etc. until I listened to her. There's a fantastical element to her that is mesmerizing.

For those interested favourite album: Norman ******* Rockwell.
Favourite song: West Coast.
Kanye I kind of get. Hit and miss lyrically, often rejected by hardcore hip hop fans. People tend to dislike him based on his personality moreso than his artistic ability.

Yes the main reason for my guilt with Kanye is his frankly detestable personality. Can't sing well and not a technically gifted rapper either. Last two albums are nowhere near his apex unfortunately.

That said, his music is fun personified and an instant mood improver. An insanely brilliant producer. Favourite gig I've been too. Absolute euphoria that night.

Favourite album: Late Registration.
Favourite song: Never let me down.

Deafheaven are great too, and I think they get unfairly criticised. Not black metal, but the best elements are undoubtedly BM influenced. Closer in reality to shoegaze, but donā€™t sit comfortably in that scene either.
This might be naivety showing but the only criticisms I can see of Deafheaven would be from people who don't like "extreme" music or metal gatekeepers who don't consider them metal enough. Ok the latest album was their weakest because it diverged from their unique fusion but I appreciated the attempt to grow. Musically the buildups to crescendos that payoff are unmatched as are their technical brilliance imho.

Favourite album: Sunbather.
Favourite song: Canary Yellow.

Sorry for the long windedness but these musicians are fascinating to me.

I've derailed the thread so another guilty pleasure is Dierks Bentley.

Tried to convince urban friends that country music can be great by playing him at our last get together with terrible results.

My guilty pleasure every new year is watching old episodes of Countdown and Rock Arena during Rage Retro Month (which is usually January, but during Covid times has been February)
First episode was last night. Looking forward to checking it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back