Your hats that remain unfeathered

Remove this Banner Ad

heard from so many dees supporters about how we had 'too many private school types' and needed some mongrel, plenty of good private school players running around, we were just s**t.
These days 90% of the players come from private schools. Just need the occasional a-hole or two to fire them up.

Lol wtf are Howe, Martin and Wonna doing in here? Howe was always good for us up forward and an even better defender. But he hated playing defence and ran to Collingwood who promised he’d be a forward…

Wonna went home after his father passed away. Not much more to it.

Martin was a gun ruck for us in 2011 when Jamar got injured and then Neeld refused to play him and shipped him off for a fourth rounder because of his “training standards”
1. We could’ve played Howe as a defender from the start considering that we already had similar mid sized forwards. Instead we had him wasting away in a forward pocket for years with some of the shittest ball movement the league had seen.

2. Maybe he left the club because he felt unsupported? The club’s treatment of the indigenous players during Neeld’s tenure certainly wouldn’t have helped. We certainly didn’t seem to have high expectations regarding his physical condition before his father’s death either.

3. So your argument with Martin is: “lol how can you say he was developed poorly, the only reason he left was because he was developed poorly.”

Weird post to get in a snit about.

Last edited:
1. We could’ve played Howe as a defender from the start considering that we already had similar mid sized forwards. Instead we had him wasting away in a forward pocket for years with some of the shittest ball movement the league had seen.

2. Maybe he left the club because he felt unsupported? Neeld’s treatment of the indigenous players certainly wouldn’t have helped. We certainly didn’t seem to have high expectations regarding his physical condition before his father’s death either.

3. So your argument with Martin is: “lol how can you say he was developed poorly, the only reason he left was because he was developed poorly.”

Weird post to get in a snit about.
Thought the Neeld treating the indigenous players different story turned out to be nothing?

Thought the Neeld treating the indigenous players different story turned out to be nothing?
Should’ve clarified, I know the Mifsud allegations were bullshit. It was also unfair of me to attribute it solely to Neeld but during his tenure the club did bin welfare officers/programs that had previously been used by the Aboriginal players (as well as others). When asked about this I recall Neeld saying that the players didn’t need counselling as they had the coaches. He was the recipient of mendacious lies but it doesn’t strike me as a culturally safe environment either.

Ooooh another one. Thought Pickles Evans was going to be a gun after that last quarter against GWS in 2013. My word that year was dire

Was pumped when Toumpas slid to us. Thought we had an absolute gem. Held onto Grimes being good for far too long, but probably my worst was thinking Jack Viney was going to be the best of the new breed Petracca/Oliver/Brayshaw/Hogan etc just because of his drive.

Only game I've left early - walked out fuming at 3/4 time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pretty sure I was flat when we won that game. Thought Neeld was getting sacked then we ripped a win we didn't deserve out

Was pumped when Toumpas slid to us. Thought we had an absolute gem. Held onto Grimes being good for far too long, but probably my worst was thinking Jack Viney was going to be the best of the new breed Petracca/Oliver/Brayshaw/Hogan etc just because of his drive.
Jack Viney is pretty damn good mate. We're just blessed to have some generational players that are better. It is funny though how many players were highly regarded at some point only to just fizzle out of the system and no-one really knows why. like they had shortcomings but they were never spoken of at the time, only as they're on the way out of the system,. Guys like Matthew bate, Ricky Petterd, Tapscott, Morton, Bartram etc. like I couldn't even tell you why Petterd or Tapscott didn't make it. I thought they were both guns. lol

Jack Viney is pretty damn good mate. We're just blessed to have some generational players that are better. It is funny though how many players were highly regarded at some point only to just fizzle out of the system and no-one really knows why. like they had shortcomings but they were never spoken of at the time, only as they're on the way out of the system,. Guys like Matthew bate, Ricky Petterd, Tapscott, Morton, Bartram etc. like I couldn't even tell you why Petterd or Tapscott didn't make it. I thought they were both guns. lol
Yeah, agreed. But I think the cap I was preparing was the "Jack is so driven that there's no way he won't be amazing, and all this other talent will be like the rest of our talent and leave unfulfilled because they don't want it enough", cap. I think it's partly because I bought in to the whole narrative that it was the players, not the club, that drove the culture of mediocrity during that period.

Going back a bit further I remember when Burgoyne was leaving Port we were linked. I was desperate for us to not go after him, thought he was finished and would spend a few years on our list on big bucks while never getting on the park. Played for another 10+ years.

Thought Watts would play his best footy at Port and that we were being scammed getting a pick in the 30s (Fritsch).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesse Hogan.
Thought that he would be better than Lynch and Cameron.

Thought that he would stay (didn’t realise that the club were actively getting rid of him).

Thought that pick 6 and 23 was unders.

Thought that we should’ve got more than Steven May and Kolodjashnij for pick 6.

It’s my happiest unfeathered hat. 🥳🤗

Ooooh another one. Thought Pickles Evans was going to be a gun after that last quarter against GWS in 2013. My word that year was dire

So did the club, gave him a stupid contract extension on the back of it IIRC.

Back when one good game for us was enough to get you 2 or 3 more years. smh.

I'm still shocked Jordan Gysberts didn't win multiple Brownlow medals.

Has a career ever gone south as fast as Gysberts, 30 touches and a rising star nom on debut to out of the club in 2 years and out of the league in 3 years.

2 Rising Star nominations across 19 games.

I don’t recall him copping a debilitating injury either.
I suspect his training standards were low. I remember watching him get absolutely destroyed on the spread, and looking totally gassed.

Genuine footy player without the drive to make it at the top level.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back