La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
Death Cab For Cutie are a decent.

They are a little cookie cutter and weirdly enough kind of like a rich mans Coldplay but Ben Gibbard is a decent songwriter.

Still love ripping through Tranatlanticism and Plans from time to time.

But yeh I’m not sure how you could miss listening to Coldplay by accident if you’ve ever walked into a Woolies. You hear Fix You played in every single Olympics montage… there are actually few more recognisable mainstream rock bands the past couple of decades. Yellow was huge, The Scientist was huge and played in plenty of rom coms.

killtaker1993

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Death Cab For Cutie are a decent.

They are a little cookie cutter and weirdly enough kind of like a rich mans Coldplay but Ben Gibbard is a decent songwriter.

Still love ripping through Tranatlanticism and Plans from time to time.

But yeh I’m not sure how you could miss listening to Coldplay by accident if you’ve ever walked into a Woolies. You hear Fix You played in every single Olympics montage… there are actually few more recognisable mainstream rock bands the past couple of decades. Yellow was huge, The Scientist was huge and played in plenty of rom coms.

I'm glad I've never watched the Olympics or romantic comedies then

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
My ones are:
  • Nirvana
  • Megadeth
  • Korn
  • Dream Theater

Nirvana, yeah I feel like there's something for everyone in their stuff but ok

Megadeth, I'm a huge fan but I can understand Mustaine's vocals turning anyone off ha ha

Korn, bit of had to be there maybe, nu metal in general annoyed a lot I guess

I love DT but yes there's a lot of w***ery, sometimes I'm not sure there's a song in there, the musicianship is incredible though

Alberto_Magnifico

All Australian
Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
That first record of theirs is sublime though. Has a 90's Beach Boys vibe about it at times, some great moments. It all kinda went all MMM after that.
Fair enough, I never gave their debut much of a chance to be honest, as an angry teen I was too cool and contrarian to listen to it, me being a massive Nirvana fan at the time.

GhostofJimJess

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair enough, I never gave their debut much of a chance to be honest, as an angry teen I was too cool and contrarian to listen to it, me being a massive Nirvana fan at the time.
Yeah, I get that. I went a saw them do Marvel about about 8-10 years ago - mate got $200 tix for us in what was apparently gold standard seating. If it wasn't for his birthday I wouldn't have bothered. Complete waste of money and time. Incomparable to seeing them at club gigs in the mid-90's. Stadium rock leaves me cold, gotta be up close and personal or I won't bother. And if Dave Grohl wasn't such a f*n legend of a human I'd have totally discarded them years ago.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
Bands Bigfooty posters ‘don’t get’:

Pearl Jam
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Coldplay
U2
Nirvana

I have varying levels of interest and get enjoyment in small degrees out of most of those bands (I love Nirvana though), but I couldn’t say I don’t ‘get’ them. They have obvious commercial appeal, mostly passable songwriting, and have produced a handful of memorable tunes each - even if you don’t really want them to be. (Who doesn’t get lashes of nostalgia listening to the Clocks intro, for eg).

It’s a bit of a flawed concept in some ways. Bands will always sit on a spectrum of how much you enjoy them, but it’s hardly a mystery why popular bands are popular.

Maybe we need to look at less commercial bands and wonder why they’ve been elevated about their peers?

Neutral Milk Hotel get a lot of acclaim for a band that released one decent LP - with a surprising number of average songs, if you break it down track by track.

My Bloody Valentine? Loveless is great, the other two albums are so-so, but they are the poster band for shoegaze. Slowdive and Chapterhouse are better IMO, going on their back catalogues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad