Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I was watching a movie the other day and one of the characters called Led Zepplin "my I don't get it band". So who would be your "I don't get it" band. This is not from a genre you don't like. It's a band from a genre you usually do like but just don't get the appeal of this particular band. Mine would be Pink Floyd. I love rock music but have just never got the appeal of Pink Floyd.

Steely Dan

Have tried a bunch of times and friends whose music opinions I like and our tastes overlap strongly on lots of other bands love them

Maybe you have to be a musician to appreciate what they do?

I was watching a movie the other day and one of the characters called Led Zepplin "my I don't get it band". So who would be your "I don't get it" band. This is not from a genre you don't like. It's a band from a genre you usually do like but just don't get the appeal of this particular band. Mine would be Pink Floyd. I love rock music but have just never got the appeal of Pink Floyd.

Have to agree with you, don't understand PF either.

Radiohead

Big fan of their entire catalogue but i can see why people can't get into Thom's post Amnesiac era "Falsetto" style vocals and sometimes question the production. In Rainbows an exception. There's quite a few times where the production on songs seem really watered down, for no good reason. They are a far better studio band when you can hear the bass/drums, guitars prominently amplified in the mix with Thom articulating the vocals. Never been a fan of the mix on Amnesiac/HTTT/King of Limbs and even a few tracks on Moon Shaped Pool. Just seems watered down to me. Maybe the vinyl mixes are better, but i'm not too sure.

Last edited:
Not a big name but Fleet Foxes. Pretentious sh*t.

For more big name acts I’d say The Ramones. Their music sounds like sh*t

I have a massive love/hate relationship with Fleet Foxes. I reckon they're decent songwriters, capable of nice harmonies, but unless you're listening to them in the right context their music just sounds a little bit boring. It's perfect at the moment while the weather is cooler, and a pretty decent accompanying band for scrolling through Bigfooty. They have some decent songs, if you can spend enough time investing in them to differentiate them. Ragged Wood is probably my favourite.

The National & Animal Collective.
I dig a couple songs on Boxer but find their formula a bit same ol'.
I liked Merriweather, but ateaseweb used to idolise them, i mean they're alright. fun group etc.

The National are an elite band IMO, but unless you're into that specific style of deadpan indie rock - eg The Walkman, The Twilight Sad (not in terms of the vocals, but the music is pretty rigid) they can sound a little bland. I could see how you could enjoy something like Fake Empire but not enjoy anything else. To me they have some of the best lyrics and most interest drum patterns in the genre. They don't deviate much away from their original formula, but they make enough subtle alterations to sound interesting between albums. And if you really love their general sound that isn't even remotely an issue.

I don't mind Animal Collective, but they're definitely firmly in the 'overrated' pile. Their singles are largely pretty average and drag on forever - For Reverend Green, My Girls, Peacebone. If you listen to an entire album you'll find some nice moments spread throughout, but they make you work for them. Can't fault songs like Chores and Summertime Clothes. Their hooks can be pretty hit-and-miss, but when they hit they hit hard. Song Tungs also never gets mentioned as one of their best LP's, but it's pound-for-pound the most listenable. One of the few LP's I'm happy to enjoy the few peaks to not cop an inevitable array of dips either through experimentation that doesn't quite connect or it's just too weird and contrived.

I wouldn't even say they're much of a 'fun' band. They have some bouncy songs, but they are super boring live, and when you're stretching long songs out as they tend to do they lose their impact entirely.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Radiohead

Radiohead are divisive. There is not one single thing pop or entertainment about them and they don’t give a *. I can see why people do not like them or get them. They just make their music. My fav band of all time but I doubt I know anyone else who is much of a fan.

I think there is also the issue that they are not necessarily even trying to put on “a show”. They are just doing their thing and you can take it or or leave it.

I always find this fascinating. No one expects Leonard Cohen to get people dancing in the aisles.

Coldplay.

And Coldplay are the complete opposite. The entire thing is a show. The whole thing is pop and show biz and get them dancing in the aisles. Coldplay have some great tunes but at the end of the day it is commercial in every way from painting your pianos and guitars to match the album themes (pure sacrilege and a crime against guitars) to preplanned marketing JV’s.

I think everyone gets Coldplay - it is what it is - pure pop.

Last edited:
Probably more a solo artist thing for me (e.g. Taylor Swift, Kanye West, Beyonce & Lady Gaga just never particularly clicked with me).

But there are probably about half of the 2000s Indie Rock artists that I never got. I wasn't crazy about that sort of 2002-2013 pitchfork era of landfill indie, dance-punk, NME, lo-fi, revival, indietronica, melodic hardcore, neo-psych, indie/baroque pop, etc. A lot of fantastic stuff in there, but that blend of trendy scenes just didn't do much for me, a lot of blank stares. I think those years compelled me to instead get more into IDM, hiphop, jazz, funk, etc. I have two younger brothers born in the early 90s, and more than anything that put a slight generational divide between me and them.

Last edited:
Probably more a solo artist thing for me (e.g. Taylor Swift, Kanye West, Beyonce & Lady Gaga just never particularly clicked with me).

But there are probably about half of the 2000s Indie Rock artists that I never got. I wasn't crazy about that sort of 2002-2013 pitchfork era of landfill indie, dance-punk, NME, lo-fi, revival, indietronica, melodic hardcore, neo-psych, indie/baroque pop, etc. A lot of fantastic stuff in there, but that blend of trendy scenes just didn't do much for me, a lot of blank stares. I think those years compelled me to instead get more into IDM, hiphop, jazz, funk, etc. I have two younger brothers born in the early 90s, and more than anything that put a slight generational divide between me and them.

That's a huge array of genres, with at least a few really strong artists in each. Which artists are you referring to specifically? That period was essentially Sufjan Steven's peak for example, and he covered a lot of those genres.

Agree on electronica and ambient bands. Lot of Boards of Canada-inspired producers who made music that was completely unlike BOC. Four Tet, Tim Hecker.

Metallica.

Lacked the aggression of Slayer, the humour of S.O.D., the hooks of Suicidal Tendencies, the brutality of Morbid Angel, the originality of Venom etc., ... I just don't get it. Rob Trujillo is sooo wasted in Metallica it's not funny, and Suicidal Tendencies no longer play a lot of their back catalogue which Rob recorded on. There are sooo many bands that are better... better drummers than Lars, better singers than James... they just seem tepid compared to so many peers.

Steely Dan

Have tried a bunch of times and friends whose music opinions I like and our tastes overlap strongly on lots of other bands love them

Maybe you have to be a musician to appreciate what they do?

I'm not a musician and I love them, but I do think they are probably one of these bands.

And the lyrical and vocal style is probably something you are either going to love or hate.

Last edited:
AC/DC. Sure they're okay to nod your head to when they come on the radio and I don't mind hearing the start of Hells Bells when they play it at the MCG before the game but I can't say I'd ever buy an album or download their music.

Reported.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back