Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Gang of Youths

I just hear a bloated, pompous version on The National.

*shrugs*

They sound like an amalgamation of every big indie rock band over the past decade. I also get Arcade Fire and The War on Drugs vibes. The baritone voice is pretty reminiscent of Matt Berninger, and sings about wine. There are some pretty obvious similarities I guess.

They sound like an amalgamation of every big indie rock band over the past decade. I also get Arcade Fire and The War on Drugs vibes. The baritone voice is pretty reminiscent of Matt Berninger, and sings about wine. There are some pretty obvious similarities I guess.
Yeah I mentioned pompous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will qualify what I'm about to say in that I'm not massively familiar with their music and there are some songs that I do like, but I've never quite understood the huge appeal or following that U2 has.

The hugeness of their shows is part of it. I think also - and bearing in mind they vie with Zeppelin, Queen, Bowie and early era oasis (yes I know, tragic) as my favourite bands of all time - they managed to combine showmanship and really epic songwriting with a cause, and have been more than happy to reinvent themselves a lot. Whether you like their music or not there’s a fair bit to admire in how much they’ve parlayed out of not a great deal of raw musical talent.

on the subject itself:

Coldplay are definitely up there for
Me. Their songs often have a very boring and repetitive ‘meter’ to them. Clocks is one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard and it seemed to spawn another dozen songs just the same. As stupidly pointless as the bulk lyrics for Yellow were, the melody of that song and the drive behind that guitar and drums is ******* phenomenal.
more of that, less of the pretence thanks.

Kings of Leon - ******* hell what a boring band.

matchbox 20. *en hell change chords from time to time.

John Melancamp. If I wanted to listen to someone trying to be like Bruce Springsteen I’d just listen to Bruce Springsteen.

I saw someone earlier mention the Ramones and their response was a perfect example of ‘not getting it.’
‘Their music sounds s**t.’
That’s why you don’t get it 😂😂😂
It’s not supposed to sound like Tommy Emmanuel dueling guitars with Eric Johnson. They deliberately shunned anything that could even be perceived as a pretence of musical talent. Jonny didn’t play a single solo. As someone once wrote, he played like he was getting paid by the downstroke. If you don’t get the ramones you don’t get punk. Short, rapid, very loud, and usually about anything from a neighbour chasing her kid with a baseball bat to sniffing glue to rent boys on the corner of 53rd and 3rd.

they also made the greatest ever cameo on the simpsons

Foo Fighters, RHCP and U2

RHCP 100 per cent. It’s not catchy to me, and it’s always the same structure - rapid delivery lyrics that are forced to rhyme, a prominent baseline, diminished minor chords, slower delivery chorus lyrics, and a ******* boring obsession with singing about California

RHCP 100 per cent. It’s not catchy to me, and it’s always the same structure - rapid delivery lyrics that are forced to rhyme, a prominent baseline, diminished minor chords, slower delivery chorus lyrics, and a ******* boring obsession with singing about California
Californication is one of the most uninspiring, depressing songs ive ever heard but every campaigner seemed to love it when it came out

Pretty much lost me after BSSM.
That album was fantastic at the time though.
I only got into RHCP when Californication came out, so it still holds a bit of a soft spot in my heart. I went back and bought all their previous albums and then scoured Napster/Limewire for every b-side and live set I could find. Wouldn't say I'm still really a fan, but I put on One Hot Minute the other day and it is still a great album and sounds a lot less dated than BSSM does (which again sounds way less dated than their earlier stuff).

Pretty much lost me after BSSM.
That album was fantastic at the time though.
Losing John Frusciante after Mother's Milk and BSSM took them on an odd path. One Hot Minute was a completely different style. More rock. Even though Dave Navarro is a good guitarist it didn't really suit them.

Frusciante came back 6 or so years after leaving but they'd gone past that period of being one of the it bands for the youth of the day. Became popular rock which was meh

I liked one hot minute
The band didn't. Didn't play any songs from it live once Frusciante rejoined the band. Almost pretended it didn't exist for a while. Still played early songs from before Frusciante joined the band.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back