Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like I need to start a new thread: Your "I Don't Get The Hate" Band.

I'd have Muse at the top of my list. I'm by no means a fan, but I tend to enjoy their music when I hear it and I really don't understand the vitriol that gets thrown at them at all.

Agreed, they get way too much hate.

Issue is they've been a genuinely awful band for about a decade and were never anything more than a fun rock band who had some proggy leanings. Prog fans hate them, Radiohead fans hate them.

Their first 4 albums hold up pretty well though - especially Origin of Symmetry and Absolution.

My I don't get it bands.
1. Led Zepplin
2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. Cold Chisel
4. Oasis.
5. Pearl jam
6. Nivarna.
7. Silverchair - (Nivarna pearl jam clone)
I don't listen to anything hip-hop rap so cant name anyone.

My I don't get it bands.
1. Led Zepplin
2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. Cold Chisel
4. Oasis.
5. Pearl jam
6. Nivarna.
The last 4 on your list, imo, are pretty average, sans some incredible Nirvana moments.

The top 3 are interesting for diff reasons. LZ, had to be there to understand the new thing they did. They were mostly HATED by the media and most purist fans, this just added tp their aura. From a distance they do look a bit puffed up and over wrought. First 4 albums though, wowee.
Skynard not my style but can appreciate the musicianship. Chisel, ho hum for me, as for you, I agree. I am often surprised though how many of my nonOz mates here them and are gobsmacked, especially the 1st half of their discog.

Suppose Bob Dylan sounds good too?

"I was never a good singer, but if you have a good story, then it doesn’t matter because people want to listen" - Bob Dylan.

He wrote this as a protest song for Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a boxer who was framed for a murder. Bob visited him in jail.

Last edited:
"I was never a good singer, but if you have a good story, then it doesn’t matter because people want to listen" - Bob Dylan.

He wrote this song for Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a boxer who was framed for a murder. Bob visited him in jail.

Bob sounds just swell if one knows how to listen.

My I don't get it bands.
1. Led Zepplin
2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. Cold Chisel
4. Oasis.
5. Pearl jam
6. Nivarna.

I find this interesting primarily because I love most of those bands.

Some of them were ‘had to be there’ bands I guess but just my two cents:

Chisel - they suffer a stigma because every c*** at an Australian pub on a given night knows all the words to Khe Sanh. They are so, so much more than that. Barnesy’s voice while often joked about is absolutely freakish. Some of the notes he hits in songs like When The War is Over - even Freddie Mercury would struggle to reach them. And they’re clean, not screamed. More than anything their songwriting chops are incredible. Doubt there would be another five piece in the world where every member has written a hit. And they wrote about meaningful stuff. Abortion, war, the outback, going home. Not a band you have to like, but a band that everyone should have a lot of respect for.

I don’t get the hate for Silverchair’s early music. Whether it was derivative or not (no way I’d describe their guitar and drum parts as Pearl Jam like), they were 14 when they made that first album and again, ripped off or not, sonically it was heavier than most rock bands of the time. Ultra distorted guitars in some songs, a riff like the one in Israel’s Son still stands up 25 years later and the guy was in year 8 when he wrote it. I am not a Daniel Johns fan by any means - in the years since his music has gotten way more complex and way less listenable, and his ball and chain Paul Mac hasn’t made it any better.

Oasis - I see why people hate them but f*** me Noel Gallagher can write a melody. He has a gift. Definitely Maybe is a faultless album IMO. Once coke took over they lost their way.

Credence are the only swamp rock band I love so I can’t say I’m a Lynrd Skynrd fan but their musicianship is first class. Tuesday’s Gone is a beautiful song

I’m not a huge Pearl jam fan. I dont get them in the way that some of my mates do. Daughter and Given To Fly are my two favourite songs but beyond that I think they’re bland.

Nirvana - I can’t speak highly enough of them. There’s not much to get. Loud, sad, and far far more talented than they were given credit for. Kurt broke music rules with his chord progressions but they worked.

I find this interesting primarily because I love most of those bands.

Some of them were ‘had to be there’ bands I guess but just my two cents:

Chisel - they suffer a stigma because every c*** at an Australian pub on a given night knows all the words to Khe Sanh. They are so, so much more than that. Barnesy’s voice while often joked about is absolutely freakish. Some of the notes he hits in songs like When The War is Over - even Freddie Mercury would struggle to reach them. And they’re clean, not screamed. More than anything their songwriting chops are incredible. Doubt there would be another five piece in the world where every member has written a hit. And they wrote about meaningful stuff. Abortion, war, the outback, going home. Not a band you have to like, but a band that everyone should have a lot of respect for.

I don’t get the hate for Silverchair’s early music. Whether it was derivative or not (no way I’d describe their guitar and drum parts as Pearl Jam like), they were 14 when they made that first album and again, ripped off or not, sonically it was heavier than most rock bands of the time. Ultra distorted guitars in some songs, a riff like the one in Israel’s Son still stands up 25 years later and the guy was in year 8 when he wrote it. I am not a Daniel Johns fan by any means - in the years since his music has gotten way more complex and way less listenable, and his ball and chain Paul Mac hasn’t made it any better.

Oasis - I see why people hate them but f*** me Noel Gallagher can write a melody. He has a gift. Definitely Maybe is a faultless album IMO. Once coke took over they lost their way.

Credence are the only swamp rock band I love so I can’t say I’m a Lynrd Skynrd fan but their musicianship is first class. Tuesday’s Gone is a beautiful song

I’m not a huge Pearl jam fan. I dont get them in the way that some of my mates do. Daughter and Given To Fly are my two favourite songs but beyond that I think they’re bland.

Nirvana - I can’t speak highly enough of them. There’s not much to get. Loud, sad, and far far more talented than they were given credit for. Kurt broke music rules with his chord progressions but they worked.

Good summation. Chisel are more of a band my Dad loved; I can deal with it, doesn't grab me, but understand their revered place. Same with Oasis (Dad hated them though...). Silverchair are a few years older than I am, so I was amazed at their rise when it happened. Early stuff simplistic yet fun, then became stuff that didn't grab me at all. Nirvana were the first band I loved (was after the suicide though); I still try to hunt down videos of their gigs.

Can't ****ing stand Pearl Jam though. Bland, mainstream, so inoffensive that it is offensive...if you're at the stage where you actively look forward to anything new from them, then you're probably exactly what you never thought you'd become when you argued with your parents growing up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good summation. Chisel are more of a band my Dad loved; I can deal with it, doesn't grab me, but understand their revered place. Same with Oasis (Dad hated them though...). Silverchair are a few years older than I am, so I was amazed at their rise when it happened. Early stuff simplistic yet fun, then became stuff that didn't grab me at all. Nirvana were the first band I loved (was after the suicide though); I still try to hunt down videos of their gigs.

Can't ****ing stand Pearl Jam though. Bland, mainstream, so inoffensive that it is offensive...if you're at the stage where you actively look forward to anything new from them, then you're probably exactly what you never thought you'd become when you argued with your parents growing up.

I wouldn’t say I hate Pearl jam but I do agree with your sentiment. They have it in them to be great I think, they can write a melody and Eddie Vedder at his best is a good singer. He/they aren’t at their best often enough though

My I don't get it bands.
1. Led Zepplin
2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. Cold Chisel
4. Oasis.
5. Pearl jam
6. Nivarna.
That's pretty much my Spotify playlist. Really getting into Lynyrd Skynyrd now - mainly the hits admittedly, (excl Alabama) but their stuff is so cool and clean. I love it.

Gonna stick up for Pearl Jam here as they are my all time. I get the hate though. Ten was an amazing debut and the story of how it came to be is just as magnificent as the songs themselves. Watch Rick Beato's 'what makes this song great' on both Jeremy and Black, and be blown away.

Vs was as good a sophomore album as you will get. Ten was the culmination of mainly Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament having years and years of song writing, with Eddie Vedder adding his layers to it. Vs was when as a band they had to make music together - and they nailed it. Some of the songs were written in the Ten era, but mainly it was 'okay kids, lets see what you got'. And their first single, Go, blew it away. Daughter and Elderly Woman sounded nothing like anything from Ten. And RVM is still my hands down favourite song.

Vitalogy went into a few weird places, but an album with Spin the Black Circle, Not For You, Nothingman, Last Exit, Corduroy can't be all bad - and thats not counting FM radio staple, Better Man.

This is when they hit the wall, and they went out of their way to not be massive. Have a listen to their B-sides album, Lost Dogs. A lot of the songs on there from Binaural and Riot Act sessions are much better than the album tracks.

They spurned MTV, did no film clips after Jeremy, up until Do The Evolution which is an amazing comic based clip. Nothing really since Better Man hit the airwaves hard, except the god awful Last Kiss.

The new album is good. Very good. Much better than the previous 2 or 3. Can't wait to see those tracks live.

Never known anybody who actually enjoys listening to Phil Collins... a stain on the 80's and pop music in general

In general I agree. I have to admit though that Against All Odds is one of my all time guilty pleasures.

Back on topic:
Fu Manchu are ok but barely 1% of what Kyuss were in the battle of 90s stoner rock heavyweights.
Bon Iver - seen twice at festivals, I swear even some of their fans looked bored during the set
Kid Rock - silver spoon millionaire kid who pretended to be a hick to sell albums.
Limp Bizkit - even as someone who actually listened to some Nu Metal back in the day (SOTD, Mudvayne) I didn't get why they were the popular band

I actually think Fu Manchu are underrated. Agree that they are no Kyuss, but still pretty good. Also, would have thought they they are not really well known enough to make an I don’t get it list.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back