Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Never known anybody who actually enjoys listening to Phil Collins... a stain on the 80's and pop music in general

Phil fan boy here.

He wrote and performed a lot of catchy tunes and a few anthems in an era where there was a lot of manufactured rubbish competing for the same audience.

Did not see him live, but my younger sister did, she got dragged along by her ex and said he was fantastic and got the audience rocking from his opening number...

Together with In the Air Tonight, my other favourite tune of his:

Each to their own but Sussudio to me is just about everything that could possibly be bad about music condensed into 4 minutes. The title is a rubbish made-up word, the lyrics is another boring love story from the perspective of a high school outcast, the groove is an exact copy of 1999 by Prince for which most artists would have been taken to court for plagiarism. Ahhhh what else pisses me off about this song? The drum machine chews your ear off the entire duration of the song and never lets down, the chorus is just the name of the song repeated unrelentingly. Could go on

In The Air Tonight must be the longest song ever recorded. It drags and drags and doesn’t have a climax. How that song has stood the test of time (everybody knows it) is mind boggling

Phil fan boy here.

He wrote and performed a lot of catchy tunes and a few anthems in an era where there was a lot of manufactured rubbish competing for the same audience.

Did not see him live, but my younger sister did, she got dragged along by her ex and said he was fantastic and got the audience rocking from his opening number...

Together with In the Air Tonight, my other favourite tune of his:

Well, I admire your courage and honesty, deanc.

Every Friday I choose a theme for colleagues to request songs for a playlist we put on at 3pm. I have a standing rule that no Kid Rock songs will be allowed because of one dude that without fail would nominate that cover of Sweet Home Alabama. It's an abomination. Almost as bad as the Disturbed cover of Sound Of Silence...
This is seriously the worst take I've ever seen on bigfooty about anything. I'm outraged, genuinely, and I'm also shocked and disappointed because I've always respected your opinion on music. Not any more.

Kid Rock has performed Sweet Home Alabama with Lynyrd Skynyd (and for the record, he has performed it with Hank Williams Jr. as well), but I'm fairly sure the masterpiece you are referring to is All Summer Long, which is not a cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama, and in actual fact not a cover of anything. It is an original composition in its own right, and if I do say so myself, a ******* brilliant one.

Of course All Summer Long interpolates parts of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama; it also uses parts of Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London, alongside Kid Rock's original (and unforgettable) lyrics. What a powerful combination! If sampling can be considered an artform- which it absolutely is, obviously- then I would argue very strongly that All Summer Long is as good an example as you will ever find; equal of anything from Since I Left You or Endtroducing. Personally, I think it's better.

Hand on heart, this is one of my favourite songs in the world.

And we were trying different things
We were smoking funny things
Making love out by the lake to our favourite song
Sipping whiskey out the bottle
Not thinking 'bout tomorrow
Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long!

Your colleague sounds awesome by the way.

This is seriously the worst take I've ever seen on bigfooty about anything. I'm outraged, genuinely, and I'm also shocked and disappointed because I've always respected your opinion on music. Not any more.

Kid Rock has performed Sweet Home Alabama with Lynyrd Skynyd (and for the record, he has performed it with Hank Williams Jr. as well), but I'm fairly sure the masterpiece you are referring to is All Summer Long, which is not a cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama, and in actual fact not a cover of anything. It is an original composition in its own right, and if I do say so myself, a ******* brilliant one.

Of course All Summer Long interpolates parts of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama; it also uses parts of Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London, alongside Kid Rock's original (and unforgettable) lyrics. What a powerful combination! If sampling can be considered an artform- which it absolutely is, obviously- then I would argue very strongly that All Summer Long is as good an example as you will ever find; equal of anything from Since I Left You or Endtroducing. Personally, I think it's better.

Nah, he's a bit of a s**t.

Nah, he's a bit of a sh*t.
You've gone mad mate, have a look at that video clip.

Peroxide Hair and fake **** everywhere, confederate flag bikinis, a sneaky girl-on-girl pash in the background.
What else do you want.

You've gone mad mate, have a look at that video clip.

Peroxide Hair and fake **** everywhere, confederate flag bikinis, a sneaky girl-on-girl pash in the background.
What else do you want.
I was talking about my mate, but I can see why you'd be confused I was talking about Mr Rock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, my "I don't get it" is Bruce Springsteen. It's basically Billy Joel but the saxophone solos aren't as good.

I was talking about my mate, but I can see why you'd be confused I was talking about Mr Rock.
LOL.

Yeah look as much as I love KR (and I genuinely do), I probably wouldn't share that with people I work with it. It's one of those things I think is best to just keep to yourself.

Back on topic:
Fu Manchu are ok but barely 1% of what Kyuss were in the battle of 90s stoner rock heavyweights.
Bon Iver - seen twice at festivals, I swear even some of their fans looked bored during the set
Kid Rock - silver spoon millionaire kid who pretended to be a hick to sell albums.
Limp Bizkit - even as someone who actually listened to some Nu Metal back in the day (SOTD, Mudvayne) I didn't get why they were the popular band

I dont get it, why does anyone have to choose between Kyuss and Fu Manchu? It's not like they sound alike. Same loose genre definition but thats about it.

King of the Road is a very good album.

Each to their own but Sussudio to me is just about everything that could possibly be bad about music condensed into 4 minutes. The title is a rubbish made-up word, the lyrics is another boring love story from the perspective of a high school outcast, the groove is an exact copy of 1999 by Prince for which most artists would have been taken to court for plagiarism. Ahhhh what else pisses me off about this song? The drum machine chews your ear off the entire duration of the song and never lets down, the chorus is just the name of the song repeated unrelentingly. Could go on

In The Air Tonight must be the longest song ever recorded. It drags and drags and doesn’t have a climax. How that song has stood the test of time (everybody knows it) is mind boggling

Each to their own. A few points to clarify - for the interest of others.

A. The title Sussudio came from and derived from the fact Phil's daughter could not pronounce 'Studio'.

B. In Air Tonight wouldn't even be in the top 100 of the longest songs every recorded.
BTW, the longest song ever recorded was/is 'The Rise and Fall of Bossanova' by PC III, which lasts 13 hours, 23 minutes, and 32 seconds.

In terms of rubbish produced in the 80's that bizarrely somehow were big hits, I give you; We Built This City, Rock Me Amadeus, Stars on 45 Medley, Ebony and Ivory, Girl I’m Gonna Miss You, Kokomo, Never Gonna Give You Up, Blame it on the Rain, I Can’t Go for That - just to name a few...

A. The title Sussudio came from and derived from the fact Phil's daughter could not pronounce 'Studio'.

B. In Air Tonight wouldn't even be in the top 100 of the longest songs every recorded.
BTW, the longest song ever recorded was/is 'The Rise and Fall of Bossanova' by PC III, which lasts 13 hours, 23 minutes, and 32 seconds.

In terms of rubbish produced in the 80's that bizarrely somehow were big hits, I give you; We Built This City, Rock Me Amadeus, Stars on 45 Medley, Ebony and Ivory, Girl I’m Gonna Miss You, Kokomo, Never Gonna Give You Up, Blame it on the Rain, I Can’t Go for That - just to name a few...
My take on In The Air Tonight was a sarcastic comment on how I believe the song drags and doesn’t really go anywhere, yet its remained one of the most known and played songs from its time.

Fair enough re Sussudio’s title, however it still has zero relevance to the song at all. It’s just a random word.

Yeah there’s plenty of rubbish from the 80’s. Fortunately it was before my time so most of it has been left behind. Phil Collins just ain’t my cup of tea

I'm all in on Phil Collins, but you're totally wrong on I Can't Go For That. There's a reason why it was a massive hit. It's because it's an absolute banger.

It's such a brilliant song that it even sounds good when played on a fiddle.

I find this interesting primarily because I love most of those bands.

Some of them were ‘had to be there’ bands I guess but just my two cents:

Chisel - they suffer a stigma because every c*** at an Australian pub on a given night knows all the words to Khe Sanh. They are so, so much more than that. Barnesy’s voice while often joked about is absolutely freakish. Some of the notes he hits in songs like When The War is Over - even Freddie Mercury would struggle to reach them. And they’re clean, not screamed. More than anything their songwriting chops are incredible. Doubt there would be another five piece in the world where every member has written a hit. And they wrote about meaningful stuff. Abortion, war, the outback, going home. Not a band you have to like, but a band that everyone should have a lot of respect for.

I don’t get the hate for Silverchair’s early music. Whether it was derivative or not (no way I’d describe their guitar and drum parts as Pearl Jam like), they were 14 when they made that first album and again, ripped off or not, sonically it was heavier than most rock bands of the time. Ultra distorted guitars in some songs, a riff like the one in Israel’s Son still stands up 25 years later and the guy was in year 8 when he wrote it. I am not a Daniel Johns fan by any means - in the years since his music has gotten way more complex and way less listenable, and his ball and chain Paul Mac hasn’t made it any better.

Oasis - I see why people hate them but f*** me Noel Gallagher can write a melody. He has a gift. Definitely Maybe is a faultless album IMO. Once coke took over they lost their way.

Credence are the only swamp rock band I love so I can’t say I’m a Lynrd Skynrd fan but their musicianship is first class. Tuesday’s Gone is a beautiful song

I’m not a huge Pearl jam fan. I dont get them in the way that some of my mates do. Daughter and Given To Fly are my two favourite songs but beyond that I think they’re bland.

Nirvana - I can’t speak highly enough of them. There’s not much to get. Loud, sad, and far far more talented than they were given credit for. Kurt broke music rules with his chord progressions but they worked.

Its not that I don’t listen to them (except Oasis and Nirvana), just don’t get the love they get. When Australian bands are listed chisel and AC/DC are at the top but I would list them behind LRB, gurus, Oils, inxs And more. It’s more just taste then seeing what they offer talent wise I suppose. The grunge genre is a total miss for me Sorry.

Surely this is satire?

The Offspring

Worst band of the 90s and they sunk to new lows with this Beatles ripoff, f***ing horrible band.

Smash and to a lesser extent Ixnay On The Hombre are great albums. They were both pretty dark and some of the guitar playing and choice of scales, the kinds of pedals they'd use were really cool. That Genocide riff, which they use in the mid-section of the TT, slowed down and laden with delay was so cool. They used to use to it in (IIRC) footage of the Sydney Olympics, with predictably drawn out footage.

My first CD was Conspiracy of One and loved their poppier stuff when I was a kid, but it was pretty tacky in hindsight. Americana had a couple of great tracks (TT again, Pay The Man), but there was a pretty clear move into making accessible radio-friendly music with some novelty singles - which, as you point out, was something the Beatles used to do (successfully). Original Prankster was another cringey hit for that general era, and I'm sure you'd find a stack more on whatever else they put out after that. I remember hearing Hit That on Splinter and even as a kid kind of realised it was a bridge too far and pretty lame.

My take on In The Air Tonight was a sarcastic comment on how I believe the song drags and doesn’t really go anywhere

Interesting takes on songs... one could argue from the perspective of it doesn't go anywhere that like the drum fill that it's known for is literally taking it to a peak!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back