Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

That reminds me, along with the antipathy towards Phil (but not those poor souls who bought his records), surely Eric post Derrick also deserves 2 thumbs down for inadventure and boring us silly...

Each to their own but Sussudio to me is just about everything that could possibly be bad about music condensed into 4 minutes. The title is a rubbish made-up word, the lyrics is another boring love story from the perspective of a high school outcast, the groove is an exact copy of 1999 by Prince for which most artists would have been taken to court for plagiarism. Ahhhh what else pisses me off about this song? The drum machine chews your ear off the entire duration of the song and never lets down, the chorus is just the name of the song repeated unrelentingly. Could go on

In The Air Tonight must be the longest song ever recorded. It drags and drags and doesn’t have a climax. How that song has stood the test of time (everybody knows it) is mind boggling

Clearly you’ve never heard of Harry Chapin. His songs make ‘In The Air Tonight’ look like a readers digest

The ponderous songs of the progressive rock band Rush. Journey, Reo Speedwagon, Kansas, Styx...all were using the same cubicle when writing songs...

Tool are similar to Rush in a lot of ways, very popular for an under the radar band, GOAT drummers and usually liked by blokes. But yeah it’s either your thing or it isn’t

Tool are similar to Rush in a lot of ways, very popular for an under the radar band, GOAT drummers and usually liked by blokes. But yeah it’s either your thing or it isn’t
I guess all those bands i mentioned were big when i was very young and impressionable with a great liking of the punks and new wave acts.

Latest one for me is Counting Crows.

A few good songs but some people carry on as if they were one of the best bands of the 90's.

P.S I do like "Mr Jones"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest one for me is Counting Crows.

A few good songs but some people carry on as if they were one of the best bands of the 90's.

P.S I do like "Mr Jones"

I felt August & Everything After was a great album but they never really did anything else after that

August & Everything After is a great album and pretty synonymous with the 90's along with Third Eye Blind's ST and Jagged Little Pill. All the artists had a few decent follow ups but peaked at those LP's. The number of hits and crossover appeal are probably the reason they are still highly rated.

The best part of all of those LP's is the singles are great, and some now iconic, but most of the album tracks are really strong too. August & Everything After doesn't let up in quality. Raining In Baltimore, Rain King or Omaha (tbh this could possibly be a single - Anna Begins maybe?) could equally be the best songs on the album. Everyone knows Mr Jones and Round Here. They're great singalongs and every cover band plays at least one.

The tail end of Third Eye Blind's ST is amazing too. The whole LP gets a second wind about track 10 after winding through a pretty strong tracklist anyway.

Some bands just don't have the capability to pump out more than one classic LP. Counting Crows had a lot of good ideas and a decent formula at that point and it worked really well, but it's hard to replicate that kind of form.

"I Want You' is so chill, it's probably their most underrated song.
Yeah I'm a big fan of that song too, probably my fave off the album if not for my Semi-Charmed nostalgia.

I've never really listened to a Counting Crows album, but I do love JLP and TEB so might give it a go for the 90s vibe at the very least.

"I Want You' is so chill, it's probably their most underrated song.

Yeh it's great - The Background and Motorcycle Drive By are my favourites.

Really in hindsight the LP has been put together a little sloppily. There's a bit of a dip in the mid-section, and they couldn't condensed the album to 10-11 tracks. It plays more like a compilation than an LP.

Even a great track like Narcolepsy sits uneasily as the 2nd track, but tbf half the songs feel like track 9. Losing A Whole Year is an unbelievable opener though and you've got most of the singles in the early part of the album.

Smash and to a lesser extent Ixnay On The Hombre are great albums. They were both pretty dark and some of the guitar playing and choice of scales, the kinds of pedals they'd use were really cool. That Genocide riff, which they use in the mid-section of the TT, slowed down and laden with delay was so cool. They used to use to it in (IIRC) footage of the Sydney Olympics, with predictably drawn out footage.

My first CD was Conspiracy of One and loved their poppier stuff when I was a kid, but it was pretty tacky in hindsight. Americana had a couple of great tracks (TT again, Pay The Man), but there was a pretty clear move into making accessible radio-friendly music with some novelty singles - which, as you point out, was something the Beatles used to do (successfully). Original Prankster was another cringey hit for that general era, and I'm sure you'd find a stack more on whatever else they put out after that. I remember hearing Hit That on Splinter and even as a kid kind of realised it was a bridge too far and pretty lame.

As good an album as Smash and to a lesser extent are, they are not as good as Ignition or there self-titled albums.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As good an album as Smash and to a lesser extent are, they are not as good as Ignition or there self-titled albums.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't say I have ever listened to either the whole way through. I've heard a few select songs off Ignition and really like Jennifer Lost The War, just haven't gone further back.

Regurgitator. The GURRRGE.

sh*t and ******* annoying music. Never understood their popularity.
Tu Plang and Unit were great albums. The sounds they managed to produce and diversity of product just through the three of them were fascinating.

That they used words like ‘c***’ in their songs and had no trouble writing explicitly added to their appeal imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back