Your "I Don't Get It" Band

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I've always liked Mark Seymour's lyrics.

H&C in general get lumped in as a pub rock group, but they were really just their generation's Something For Kate and had quite a few thoughtful songs.

There’s a band who bring up mixed thoughts from me.

I loved Something for Kate during their first couple of albums. Paul Dempsey had a great knack for melody and their songs were complex without being pretentious. And for what it’s worth I think he has the best voice in australia and he is musically just amazing. BUT: like Daniel Johns, I think he is almost too complex for his own good. Odd time signatures and key changes and discordant combinations of notes that don’t go where they should - and not in a good way.

Van Halen, i mean how cheesy are they? Even Eddie VH was obviously a great guitar player but I can't say I enjoyed his style, shred for the fu** of it basically.

I can handle VH well enough, but I view them as the entire 1980s condensed into the sense of sound.

There’s a band who bring up mixed thoughts from me.

I loved Something for Kate during their first couple of albums. Paul Dempsey had a great knack for melody and their songs were complex without being pretentious. And for what it’s worth I think he has the best voice in australia and he is musically just amazing. BUT: like Daniel Johns, I think he is almost too complex for his own good. Odd time signatures and key changes and discordant combinations of notes that don’t go where they should - and not in a good way.
Their drummer was incredible though, saw them back in the day just after their first EP and damn he hit hard. You can understand bands with influential drummers getting sucked in to wanky time signatures.

Van Halen, i mean how cheesy are they? Even Eddie VH was obviously a great guitar player but I can't say I enjoyed his style, shred for the fu** of it basically.
David Lee Roth's beef with Sammy Hagar justifies their entire existence.
Plus Eddie put his signature yellow & black guitar in Dimebag's coffin. Respect.

Edit: if you don't like pointless shredding, you really don't want to hear any album with Steve Vai on it.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
David Lee Roth's beef with Sammy Hagar justifies their entire existence.
Plus Eddie put his signature yellow & black guitar in Dimebag's coffin. Respect.

Edit: if you don't like pointless shredding, you really don't want to hear any album with Steve Vai on it.

Yeah I mean respect because they basically inspired Pantera, I’ll give them that. They probably inspired glam metal though so * em.

And I don’t mind the instrumental stuff occasionally, Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, even guys like John Schofield and the jazz stuff. I’d much rather listen to Vai, sure there’s a lot of w***ery but he’s just so ******* amazing on guitar.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

I tend to agree with this. I love a good solo and I love a good guitarist but all their songs seemed to be just filler built around EVH rather than him
Playing solos around their songs.

When I think about the guitarists and the specific solos I like, the ones that stand out are when the fast impressive shreddy bits are used to get to the important notes - Brian May was a master of that. Cliched as the song is (there’s about a dozen Queen songs I like more), the solo in Bohemian Rhapsody grabs me because of the apex notes and bends he hits at the end of his little syncopated runs.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I mean respect because they basically inspired Pantera, I’ll give them that. They probably inspired glam metal though so fu** em.

And I don’t mind the instrumental stuff occasionally, Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, even guys like John Schofield and the jazz stuff. I’d much rather listen to Vai, sure there’s a lot of w*ery but he’s just so ***** amazing on guitar.

Eric Johnson is a different beast to the others - he sings with his guitar an it’s beautiful to listen to

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I tend to agree with this. I love a good solo and I love a good guitarist but all their songs seemed to be just filler built around EVH rather than him
Playing solos around their songs.

When I think about the guitarists and the specific solos I like, the ones that stand out are when the fast impressive shreddy bits are used to get to the important notes - Brian May was a master of that. Cliched as the song is (there’s about a dozen Queen songs I like more), the solo in Bohemian Rhapsody grabs me because of the apex notes and bends he hits at the end of his little syncopated runs.

Squealer ACDC, very hard to find online and rarely ever played live. Angus - it's actually a mix of 3 solos sequences and was simply to hard to replicate on stage..!

This is an admiral cover effort - kudus to this bloke because very few even attempt this:

Last edited:
Squealer ACDC, very hard to find online and rarely ever played live. Angus - it's actually a mix of 3 solos sequences and was simply to hard to replicate on stage..!

This is an admiral cover effort - kudus to him because very few even attempt this:

Impressive effort. Great song.
Surely the RocknRoll Guitar God that is Angus could nail that on stage though?

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Impressive effort. Great song.
Surely the RocknRoll Guitar God that is Angus could nail that on stage though?
According to what I've read - Angus's solo in Squealer was some studio experimentation with Malcom and it took many takes to refine/complete.
In fact the fade out ending of the song was because older brother George, in the production booth just cut him off as the track had to end.
They performed it live at a few small gigs but Angus struggled the remember the sequencing and because his solo is half the song, they dropped it from their live sets.
Remember Angus is a self taught guitarist, he can't read music, Malcom wrote the riffs/chord progressions, so everything Angus played was/is from ear and memory...

Last edited:

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Post-Freakshow Silverchair.

More artistic and thoughtful doesn’t mean it sounds better.

Across The Night is one of the most pointlessly complex songs I’ve heard.

I don’t get it
Post Neon Ballroom. Thought Neon Ballroom had a good mix of Old Silverchair with the artistic stuff. Ana's song Miss you love are crackers. Even Emotion sickness very good. Young Modern was literally Straight Lines and a bunch of experimental thoughts from Daniel's head. They broke up for good reason. No surprise John's has become irrelevant since TBH.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It took me quite a long time to really get Prince. I went through a massive funk & soul stage during my late teens and early 20s and during that time I couldn't get with Prince at all. It was only after I moved into a different phase of musical obsession (don't get me wrong though, I still love funk and soul) that I started to really love his stuff. But there is a bunch of terrible music he made too. The posthumous album that was just released is horribly unenjoyable.
As a musician he is underrated. Phenomenal guitarist and performer. Think he didn't take his songs and singing that seriously tbh. Most of the themes were similar and the style as well.

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Post Neon Ballroom. Thought Neon Ballroom had a good mix of Old Silverchair with the artistic stuff. Ana's song Miss you love are crackers. Even Emotion sickness very good. Young Modern was literally Straight Lines and a bunch of experimental thoughts from Daniel's head. They broke up for good reason. No surprise John's has become irrelevant since TBH.

Yeah I always felt there was a level of arrogance with Silverchair or probably moreso Daniel, as if to say "No, you'll like this music because its what we have written, not what you have come to like about us."

FWIW, Emotion Sickness is a very underrated song IMO.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I always felt there was a level of arrogance with Silverchair or probably moreso Daniel, as if to say "No, you'll like this music because its what we have written, not what you have come to like about us."

FWIW, Emotion Sickness is a very underrated song IMO.
IMO the guys apart from Johns still want to be Silverchair again but to do it without Daniel. From all the interviews Ive heard they basically don't want much to do with him because he has veered way off course to them musically and mentally and you could sense that with Young Modern. Be interesting to see if their is some sort of clause in place that means nobody else but Daniel can lead the band. Wouldn't be surprised.

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
IMO the guys apart from Johns still want to be Silverchair again but to do it without Daniel. From all the interviews Ive heard they basically don't want much to do with him because he has veered way off course to them musically and mentally and you could sense that with Young Modern. Be interesting to see if their is some sort of clause in place that means nobody else but Daniel can lead the band. Wouldn't be surprised.

Not to stroke Daniel's ego - but if a band resurfaces with the original members minus Daniel with someone else on the pipes, it kinda aint Silverchair, right?

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Not to stroke Daniel's ego - but if a band resurfaces with the original members minus Daniel with someone else on the pipes, it kinda aint Silverchair, right?

Much like how Saliva ain't Saliva without Josey Scott. (FWIW, I know no other Saliva band member.)

Much like how Saliva ain't Saliva without Josey Scott. (FWIW, I know no other Saliva band member.)

Veering a little further off course, Napalm Death have no original members, yet devote a portion of their live set list to the debut "Scum" (on which none of the currenr members of the band played). I've never satisfactorily answered my own question either way as to if that portion of the set is to be considered as covers or not.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Veering a little further off course, Napalm Death have no original members, yet devote a portion of their live set list to the debut "Scum" (on which none of the currenr members of the band played). I've never satisfactorily answered my own question either way as to if that portion of the set is to be considered as covers or not.

It’s a bit like Megadeth, is it a band or Dave Mustaine’s solo project?

It’s a bit like Megadeth, is it a band or Dave Mustaine’s solo project?

imo was a band until TWNAH. Everything after that, Mustaine's solo project.

Back