Your "I Don't Get It" Band

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Much like how Saliva ain't Saliva without Josey Scott. (FWIW, I know no other Saliva band member.)

images.jpeg-2.jpg

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not to stroke Daniel's ego - but if a band resurfaces with the original members minus Daniel with someone else on the pipes, it kinda aint Silverchair, right?
Don't disagree with that at all. If they get together they would have to rename the band. ACDC made it work with Brian Johnson.

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Don't disagree with that at all. If they get together they would have to rename the band. ACDC made it work with Brian Johnson.

I think in the event of death it’s a different scenario. Somehow. Queen, as another example

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think in the event of death it’s a different scenario. Somehow. Queen, as another example
Another example where they have tried it but it's not the same is Blink 182. They have released 2 albums since Tom left. You wouldn't know though as it's barely mentioned that there even still together.

5 piece with an iconic lead guitarist vs 3 piece.

A singer/guitarist leading a three piece just isn't replaceable.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
What about Pink Floyd when they split.

Waters leaves and the rest of the band continue as Pink Floyd despite his protests.

Waters does concerts and it’s basically a cover band gig with big theatrics. Some say no one from Pink Floyd plays in Waters concerts, seeing as he lip synchs and his bass isn’t plugged in

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
What about Pink Floyd when they split.

Waters leaves and the rest of the band continue as Pink Floyd despite his protests.

Waters does concerts and it’s basically a cover band gig with big theatrics. Some say no one from Pink Floyd plays in Waters concerts, seeing as he lip synchs and his bass isn’t plugged in

Yes, Pink Floyd, could almost have it's own thread relating to their issues with Waters...

Looking a big closer to home, on a smaller level, but the Little River Band, what an absolute dogs breakfast that was and continues to be! The current 'legal LRB' group are a band consisting of all American's, who none have ever performed in Australia..!

Last edited:

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Beatles and Bob Dylan.
Beatles songs sound like lightweight jingles to me.. it's probably the appeal to some I guess.

Dylan has never done it for me although I can admit something like Gates of Eden is brilliant songwriting, seems to be mountains of formulaic dross in between anything good here and there.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Beatles songs sound like lightweight jingles to me.. it's probably the appeal to some I guess.

Dylan has never done it for me although I can admit something like Gates of Eden is brilliant songwriting, seems to be mountains of formulaic dross in between anything good here and there.
Yeah, I totally concede both artists have some great tunes in their respective catalogues. But they always seem to sound way better when someone else covers these songs. Eg. "Girl From The North Country" by Lions is far superior to Dylan's own dreary version. Similar with Hendrix and "All Along The Watchtower", and many more.

Yeah, I totally concede both artists have some great tunes in their respective catalogues. But they always seem to sound way better when someone else covers these songs. Eg. "Girl From The North Country" by Lions is far superior to Dylan's own dreary version. Similar with Hendrix and "All Along The Watchtower", and many more.

Nah, can’t agree with this. Watchtower maybe, even Bob said that Jimi owned it. But the song has to be written. That’s the point. I love Dylan’s ‘North’.
Any band could change it up a bit as Lions did. It’s a good take, but I’m sure if you asked them, they would laugh the thought of their version outshining the original!

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Nah, can’t agree with this. Watchtower maybe, even Bob said that Jimi owned it. But the song has to be written. That’s the point. I love Dylan’s ‘North’.
Any band could change it up a bit as Lions did. It’s a good take, but I’m sure if you asked them, they would laugh the thought of their version outshining the original!
I will never disagree with someone who has a Badmotorfinger profile pic. Respect.

It's just that Dylan has always been too dirgey for me. But he's clearly provided a lot of enjoyment for others.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Pretty much the whole of Nashville Skyline was brilliant.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Bands that I should like more than I do:

- Talking Heads: I am pretty partial to New Wave, and they are certainly respectable musicians who had a substantial influence on the movement, and their best songs are pop-rock perfection (Life During Wartime), but David Byrne's off-kilter delivery is very hit-and-miss for me and often prevents me from fully enjoying their songs. It's a shame really, because he was apparently a great frontman. Maybe if I saw them live, I'd feel differently.

- Arcade Fire: A lot of people love this band and I've heard plenty of their songs, but while I respect their willingness to innovate WRT their arrangements and their use of instruments, very few of their songs truly grab me on a gut level. This is just a subjective thing, but it feels to me like they're innovators who know a lot about writing songs in theory, but can't consistently apply that theory in practice. Their vocalist can also grate and their actual musicianship is OK, but IMO definitely not top-notch.

- Pearl Jam: A lot of Australians would list Pearl Jam as their favourite grunge band, but for mine they're #4. They're good, but not great. I respect their willingness to try different things (Vitalogy is a decent take on U2), and their musicianship can't really be faulted, but IMO they haven't bested Ten, and even then they struggled with bloated songwriting (Mike and Stone, you don't need to supplement your songs with overlong jams; you're not The Grateful Dead). Australians tend to prefer rock over metal, so maybe that's where much of the fondness comes from.

- Radiohead: Objectively they're great, but their output is so varied that I'm not going to enjoy all of it. I'd say many Radiohead fans feel the same way. At their best, they're energising, even when they're trying to be weird, but at their worst, they're soporific.

- Pink Floyd: Maybe this is because I'm not a huge fan of prog generally, but while I recognise their greatness, and respect their lyrical ability and musicianship, I find them more soporific than I should. Maybe I just don't have the patience for their longer outings. Oddly enough, Yes don't bother me as much in this respect, even though they're arguably more pretentious.

I used to love listening to The Beatles as a child, but I've come to associate them with my childhood as a result, and so listening to them now makes me feel uncomfortable.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

- Talking Heads: I am pretty partial to New Wave, and they are certainly respectable musicians who had a substantial influence on the movement, and their best songs are pop-rock perfection (Life During Wartime), but David Byrne's off-kilter delivery is very hit-and-miss for me and often prevents me from fully enjoying their songs. It's a shame really, because he was apparently a great frontman. Maybe if I saw them live, I'd feel differently.

- Arcade Fire: A lot of people love this band and I've heard plenty of their songs, but while I respect their willingness to innovate WRT their arrangements and their use of instruments, very few of their songs truly grab me on a gut level. This is just a subjective thing, but it feels to me like they're innovators who know a lot about writing songs in theory, but can't consistently apply that theory in practice. Their vocalist can also grate and their actual musicianship is OK, but IMO definitely not top-notch.

- Pearl Jam: A lot of Australians would list Pearl Jam as their favourite grunge band, but for mine they're #4. They're good, but not great. I respect their willingness to try different things (Vitalogy is a decent take on U2), and their musicianship can't really be faulted, but IMO they haven't bested Ten, and even then they struggled with bloated songwriting (Mike and Stone, you don't need to supplement your songs with overlong jams; you're not The Grateful Dead). Australians tend to prefer rock over metal, so maybe that's where much of the fondness comes from.

- Radiohead: Objectively they're great, but their output is so varied that I'm not going to enjoy all of it. I'd say many Radiohead fans feel the same way. At their best, they're energising, even when they're trying to be weird, but at their worst, they're soporific.

- Pink Floyd: Maybe this is because I'm not a huge fan of prog generally, but while I recognise their greatness, and respect their lyrical ability and musicianship, I find them more soporific than I should. Maybe I just don't have the patience for their longer outings. Oddly enough, Yes don't bother me as much in this respect, even though they're arguably more pretentious.

I used to love listening to The Beatles as a child, but I've come to associate them with my childhood as a result, and so listening to them now makes me feel uncomfortable.
Well, I'm with you all the way down your list, except for RADIOHEAD, who have given me several of my ATG album experiences starting with The Bends. These albums coincided with my life falling apart, and were my theme songs. I am still deeply attached to that music. Beatles also hold youthful memories, mostly good memories, or was it all those beatles albums at home helped make childhood and young adulthood grand?

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Well, I'm with you all the way down your list, except for RADIOHEAD, who have given me several of my ATG album experiences starting with The Bends. These albums coincided with my life falling apart, and were my theme songs. I am still deeply attached to that music. Beatles also hold youthful memories, mostly good memories, or was it all those beatles albums at home helped make childhood and young adulthood grand?

RE Radiohead, The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A are my faves.

Kid A is weird, but the weirdness is still entertaining in large parts.

After that, their output just gets spottier and more soporific - but this is a subjective thing.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Aerosmith. Awful band. I just don't get it.

70s Aerosmith is a completely different beast to 80s/90s Aerosmith.

The former is mostly straight-ahead hard rock with a few power ballads; the latter is much more bombastic and leans on power ballads more.

I'd say 70s Aerosmith is good, not great. 80s/90s Aerosmith is not much less enjoyable for mine, but it's also much more of a guilty pleasure.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
RE Radiohead, The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A are my faves.

Kid A is weird, but the weirdness is still entertaining in large parts.

After that, their output just gets spottier and more soporific - but this is a subjective thing.
Yep. Side B Kid A started to lose me.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

IMO -

Talking Heads. Took me a long time to enjoy their music, but over three or four years I've really come to like their style and appreciate the depth of their stuff. Fear of Music probably doesn't get the credit it deserves and is on par with Remain In Light.

Arcade Fire. They've undoubtedly lived off the Funeral hype for a long period of time. I've listened to that LP too many times to properly enjoy, but none of their follow up albums have been gripping in the slightest. There's always a couple of good songs, but nothing that moves the dial. They're basically a poor man's Wilco, and unlike Wilco they don't know how to really put together a decent LP end-to-end that doesn't really lag in a couple of key spots. Getting through Neon Bible can be an absolute chore given the lack of general variation on that album. Reflektor is cool but long-winded. I find Win's lyrics haven't had the same authentic pull as they did on Funeral. I can still listen to Neighbourhood #1 or #2 and be enthralled. Their musicianship is definitely average, and I think that's another absolute killer when the songs themselves just aren't that interesting either.

Pearl Jam. Written plenty on here about them, but I much prefer their softer, more introspective stuff from the late 90's. They're kinda faux rock - great musicians, but almost too studied and on point to be enjoyable. When the music starts to collapse a bit, (for lack of a better expression, eg the Jeremy outro) they sound interesting. Eddie Vedder's solo stuff is cool though, but mainly because his songwriting complements the style of music.

Radiohead. I don't think even the most staunch Radiohead fan can enjoy all of it, or can enjoy it in any context. OKC, The Bends and In Rainbows I can listen to any time, but I need to be in the right mood for AMSP or KOL, despite having really come around to both recently. Their shortcomings become apparent when you're properly dialling into either though. Even Kid A doesn't hit right that often. I'm not the biggest proponent, but the rockier songs on that album and the ending is superb. That Boards of Canada-inspired mid-section is just too much though (IMO).

Pink Floyd. Definitely in the overrated pile, but still a great band. Only listened to some of their earlier more obscure LP's for the first time the other day and was blown away by how good they are, eg A Saucerful of Secrets and Atom Heart Mother. Really wonder what they'd have been putting out if they went down a more experimental path, rather than tastefully bringing their ideas together into accessible (relatively speaking) albums.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
70s Aerosmith is a completely different beast to 80s/90s Aerosmith.

The former is mostly straight-ahead hard rock with a few power ballads; the latter is much more bombastic and leans on power ballads more.

I'd say 70s Aerosmith is good, not great. 80s/90s Aerosmith is not much less enjoyable for mine, but it's also much more of a guilty pleasure.
Sweet Emotion is a banger of a song

I tried with Radiohead, listened to the Bends and Ok Computer, just really not my thing
I really enjoyed both those albums but didn't get into anything after that.
Which probably leads into another "I don't get it" band for me - Coldplay. If "unexciting" could be put into musical form, they are what it would sound like to me.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
I really enjoyed both those albums but didn't get into anything after that.
Which probably leads into another "I don't get it" band for me - Coldplay. If "unexciting" could be put into musical form, they are what it would sound like to me.
Coldplay are a bit of an enigma to me. They've really got no right to be part of my record collection, given how different they are to all of the psych/stoner/prog/metal/punk/roots rock that occupies 99% of it. And I certainly don't listen to any radio stations upon which they might actually get airplay. But those first couple of records Parachutes and Rush Of Blood To The Head really left an impression on me about 20 years ago, and I still give them a spin at times.

That said, I won't have a bar of anything they've released in the last 15 years or so.

Back