Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Coldplay are a bit of an enigma to me. They've really got no right to be part of my record collection, given how different they are to all of the psych/stoner/prog/metal/punk/roots rock that occupies 99% of it. And I certainly don't listen to any radio stations upon which they might actually get airplay. But those first couple of records Parachutes and Rush Of Blood To The Head really left an impression on me about 20 years ago, and I still give them a spin at times.

That said, I won't have a bar of anything they've released in the last 15 years or so.
It's weird how that works. I've just picked up a pair of wireless earbuds for the gym and am re-discovering all the music I ripped from my old CDs back in the day (that has thankfully ended up on my phone via the cloud). Loved the first two SOAD albums (nu-metal discussion doesn't even need to have LimpBizcuit as an "I don't get it" band) and as much as I love Future of the Left, I still prefer the rawness/rough edges of Mclusky.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Sweet Emotion is a banger of a song

Sure is.

Toys In The Attic is still their best album, but even that I wouldn't give more than 4 stars.

Rocks has Back in the Saddle, which is my personal fav because of that ominous beginning, that galloping bass riff and Steven Tyler absolutely lacerating his voice, but I found the album itself to be overrated. It is energetic, but too often the choruses don't really hit.

Pump and Get A Grip are guilty pleasures, as is I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing. It's bombastic, overblown and has sappy lyrics, but it's so OTT that I can't really hate it.

I really enjoyed both those albums but didn't get into anything after that.
Which probably leads into another "I don't get it" band for me - Coldplay. If "unexciting" could be put into musical form, they are what it would sound like to me.

Coldplay is sort of like Radiohead, if Radiohead decided to go for maximum commercial appeal after The Bends rather than staying true to themselves. They're arguably more consistent, but they don't even approach Radiohead's highs.

Sort of like the Duran Duran to Radiohead's Japan.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
It's weird how that works. I've just picked up a pair of wireless earbuds for the gym and am re-discovering all the music I ripped from my old CDs back in the day (that has thankfully ended up on my phone via the cloud). Loved the first two SOAD albums (nu-metal discussion doesn't even need to have LimpBizcuit as an "I don't get it" band) and as much as I love Future of the Left, I still prefer the rawness/rough edges of Mclusky.
Yeah those two SOAD and the McLusky albums are fantastic. As are FOTL. Love your work mate.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I really enjoyed both those albums but didn't get into anything after that.
Which probably leads into another "I don't get it" band for me - Coldplay. If "unexciting" could be put into musical form, they are what it would sound like to me.

Yeah Coldplay bore the s**t out of me, saw em at a BDO years back, lit up a joint, watched for 5 and ****ed off to see something good.

Crowded House
Queen
Boomtown rats
Jimmy Barnes
John Farnham
Tina Turner
Culture Club
Bros/Backstreet Boys (if one of the sisters was in the front seat)
Matchbox 20
Could not get away from these clowns on FM radio, as a hostage in the family XE Falcon
Tina Turner's early work (Ike and Tina) is incredible. It's a shame she's more remembered for her later commercial career which is nowhere near as good.
She's a soul singer, not a pop star (cash probably talked)

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Coldplay are a bit of an enigma to me. They've really got no right to be part of my record collection, given how different they are to all of the psych/stoner/prog/metal/punk/roots rock that occupies 99% of it. And I certainly don't listen to any radio stations upon which they might actually get airplay. But those first couple of records Parachutes and Rush Of Blood To The Head really left an impression on me about 20 years ago, and I still give them a spin at times.

That said, I won't have a bar of anything they've released in the last 15 years or so.

Their first 5 albums will stand the test of time but time won't be kind to their overall legacy as their last 10 years have been deplorable.

People in 20-30 years time listening to their stuff for the first time will wonder wtf went wrong.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Common theme seems to be their 'x' amount of latest albums have been horrible. Show me a successful/well known band that has released anything better than their first 3 or so albums.

The Beatles. I have tried many times but it's just too flowery(?). I'm sure it was cool at the time but it hasn't been that time for decades.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Common theme seems to be their 'x' amount of latest albums have been horrible. Show me a successful/well known band that has released anything better than their first 3 or so albums.

The Beatles. I have tried many times but it's just too flowery(?). I'm sure it was cool at the time but it hasn't been that time for decades.
Fair call, and I'd agree on about 95% of artists I follow.

That said, my favourite era of Stones music is the 70's - Exile, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Goatshead Soup etc, so I guess they're an exception imo. Likewise Porcupine Tree's the half dozen or so 1990's releases were wonderful but I still prefer their 2000's batch of records like FOBP, In Absentia, Deadwing and The Incident.

Agree too on the Beatles - I can definitely see why they were so popular with their wide array of pop songs, but they just never appealed to my taste. Maybe I needed to be a Boomer?

Fair call, and I'd agree on about 95% of artists I follow.

That said, my favourite era of Stones music is the 70's - Exile, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Goatshead Soup etc, so I guess they're an exception imo. Likewise Porcupine Tree's the half dozen or so 1990's releases were wonderful but I still prefer their 2000's batch of records like FOBP, In Absentia, Deadwing and The Incident.

Agree too on the Beatles - I can definitely see why they were so popular with their wide array of pop songs, but they just never appealed to my taste. Maybe I needed to be a Boomer?
I’ve gotten into the Beatles a bit more in the last few years, some great stuff. A lot of silly songs thrown in to wreck an album. Maxwells Silver Hammer, Yellow Submarine, etc.
But I’ll always be a Stones man. That run from Beggars to Exile. Wow! Sticky Fingers will forever be locked in my top 5 of all time.

Oh yeah, Coldplay….
I could tolerate a few of their early songs, but I was never inspired to actu buy an album. So boring. So bland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

It's the way they are doing it and the kind of music they are making.

They are trying to stay relevant to what mainstream music sounds like.

They only thing that's distinguishable still about their music is you can tell Chris Martin is singing and the lyrics are as bad as ever.

If having farts in your songs was popular in 2 years time then Coldplays album in 2 years time would have farts in every song.

David Bowie admitted he was guilty of doing the same thing in the 80's but was able to redeem himself with some very good albums after.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Apart from Keith getting a nice dirty tele sound I really see nothing of great value in the Stones.

The Stones were at their best when Mick Taylor joined the band from 1969-74, Sticky Fingers is peak Stones, one of the all time great rock albums.

From what I've heard Keith resented Mick Taylor for being a better guitarist than him so they got rid of him and replaced him with Ronnie Wood.

They went downhill from there.

Or Sepultura without Max. Apologies if this has already mentioned.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sepultura peaked with Arise, and obviously Beneath the Remains and Schizophrenia are classics (Morbid Visions is dear to me, as it is first wave Black Metal, and so an influence, not a major one but an influence, on what came next in Scandinavia), but their post-Max era has produced some good stuff after some early middling albums. They were outperforming Soulfly, until the latter brought proper Death Metal into their sound.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Most people draw the line at Coldplay after viva la vida in 2008. That album and the ones prior are good to very good.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Bands/artists who’ve released best work after first 3 albums:

U2 (though some may argue they never did better than War, I’d disagree)
Depeche Mode
The Cure
Pantera
Simple Minds
Rolling Stones
Beatles
David Bowie
Midnight Oil
INXS
The Church
The Go betweens
Death Cab For Cutie
Destroyer

I’m sure plenty more I can’t think of the top of my head. I think it usually depends if an artist began fully formed then usually peak is in first 3 albums unless major reinventions.

Ghost. Sort of gothic rock I guess they are, they get lumped in with metal but I don't reckon they're metal, I'm not sure what they are.

Anyway they appear to be massive, playing stadiums etc and I'm not sure why.

Heard the buzz about them, finally heard a song, and my reaction was "..."

To think at Download a few years ago there were people who chose seeing them over Slayer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back