Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimi Hendrix’s version is clearly superior IMO. Beautiful guitar work and build up with his vocals.

Tbh I don’t particularly love or hate Bob Dylan’s vocals and really enjoy The Tallest Man On Earth who has clearly copied his style. He’s just never been an artist - especially a popular rock artist - I have vibed with.

A lot of the songs on The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan are great. I’ve always enjoyed short, punchy, direct folk music. It’s a very sweet and poignant album. Always scares the piss out of me when the harmonica comes in towards the end of Girl From The North Country though.

Blonde On Blonde is a nice listen too and give it a crack from time to time. Most of the songs are longer but the instrumentation is fantastic, and Dylan brought an elite set of session musicians in to add some really solid layers of sound.

A lot of his stuff I find a little bit forgettable and long-winded. The lyrics are definitely clever and poetic, I just cbf listen to 8 minutes of a vocals and acoustic guitar. The songwriting becomes redundant at that stage. No there’s no general arc that you’ll find in something like post rock or progressive metal.

It’s probably the same reason I’ve always disliked Oh Comely by Neutral Milk Hotel and a lot of Bright Eyes songs leave me cold.

If I wanted to pay attention to 40 lines of writing I’d go read a book.

Jimi Hendrix’s version is clearly superior IMO. Beautiful guitar work and build up with his vocals.

Tbh I don’t particularly love or hate Bob Dylan’s vocals and really enjoy The Tallest Man On Earth who has clearly copied his style. He’s just never been an artist - especially a popular rock artist - I have vibed with.

A lot of the songs on The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan are great. I’ve always enjoyed short, punchy, direct folk music. It’s a very sweet and poignant album. Always scares the piss out of me when the harmonica comes in towards the end of Girl From The North Country though.

Blonde On Blonde is a nice listen too and give it a crack from time to time. Most of the songs are longer but the instrumentation is fantastic, and Dylan brought an elite set of session musicians in to add some really solid layers of sound.

A lot of his stuff I find a little bit forgettable and long-winded. The lyrics are definitely clever and poetic, I just cbf listen to 8 minutes of a vocals and acoustic guitar. The songwriting becomes redundant at that stage. No there’s no general arc that you’ll find in something like post rock or progressive metal.

It’s probably the same reason I’ve always disliked Oh Comely by Neutral Milk Hotel and a lot of Bright Eyes songs leave me cold.

If I wanted to pay attention to 40 lines of writing I’d go read a book.
I'ma gonna have to dispute that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not doubting Dylan's song composing ability - he's a genius in this respect. Just that his vocals are s**t, and that the harmonica as a musical instrument is severely over-rated.
I don't think anyone disputes his vocal abilities, just like Bowie. It's like watching a sci fi movie with plot holes. It's something you can overlook if the content is valuable. For me, the story telling, the emotion, being relatable. For me in my 40s his work is highly relatable. Because of that, I can overlook the vocals and see beyond that. What's the point of throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back