Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not doubting Dylan's song composing ability - he's a genius in this respect. Just that his vocals are s**t, and that the harmonica as a musical instrument is severely over-rated.
The harmonica is great, Dylan just plays very high notes on it.

Springsteen uses it to marvelous effect:

Which is also the greatest intro to any album, ever.

I'm not doubting Dylan's song composing ability - he's a genius in this respect. Just that his vocals are s**t, and that the harmonica as a musical instrument is severely over-rated.
Harmonica is great when played by people dedicated to the instrument, Dylan & busker folk types are nothing but entry level dabblers.

Last edited:

Harmonica is great when played by people dedicated to the instrument, Dylan & busker folk types are nothing but entry level dabblers.

Totally appreciate that - Chris Wilson was a genius with the instrument too, and it actually complimented his vocals and music.

I probably used the word "over-rated" in this context like I would personally say poetry in general is over-rated, despite there being some wonderful examples of poetry in existence and brilliant poets.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the Beatles either, and have never bothered buying any of their music for my collection nor ever playing them across many, many years of doing a radio show, but I can totally see and understand why they're so popular and the biggest pop band ever.

Totally appreciate that - Chris Wilson was a genius with the instrument too, and it actually complimented his vocals and music.

I probably used the word "over-rated" in this context like I would personally say poetry in general is over-rated, despite there being some wonderful examples of poetry in existence and brilliant poets.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the Beatles either, and have never bothered buying any of their music for my collection nor ever playing them across many, many years of doing a radio show, but I can totally see and understand why they're so popular and the biggest pop band ever.
I don't like the Beatles much either a lot of it sounds like fluffy jingle writing to me.

I don't like the Beatles much either a lot of it sounds like fluffy jingle writing to me.

I don't know what you normally listen to but I reckon most fans of rock will enjoy the White Album. There's a bit of different stuff on there but certainly songs like Helter Skelter verge into the hard rock category, that's even close to metal in some ways.

I don't like the Beatles much either
Never been a fan but understand their historical connection to popular music in general.
Belong in the 60's and I'm sure in that time, they were a breath of fresh air to what music had been decades before but never understand people of later generations that think it the greatest thing since sliced bread. It just not.

Kodaline: Been listening to their albums and my impressions on them is:

• Poor man's coldplay
  • No diversity, the music all sounds the same
  • Very generic
  • Uninspiring
  • Even their best songs aren't even mediocre
  • very annoying to listen to
  • I don't feel like they offer me anything

Kodaline: Been listening to their albums and my impressions on them is:

• Poor man's coldplay
  • No diversity, the music all sounds the same
  • Very generic
  • Uninspiring
  • Even their best songs aren't even mediocre
  • very annoying to listen to
  • I don't feel like they offer me anything

Never heard of them, but 'A poor mans Coldplay"
Jeez, they must really suck, as Coldplay are utterly boring crap!!!!!

I don't know what you normally listen to but I reckon most fans of rock will enjoy the White Album. There's a bit of different stuff on there but certainly songs like Helter Skelter verge into the hard rock category, that's even close to metal in some ways.
The White Album is great as a whole listen and I don’t get actually consider many - if any - songs to be filler.

Even a lot of the weaker songs are pretty interesting at worst.

Reckon Abbey Road has as many poor tracks I could skip over.

The first time I heard 'Tomorrow Never Knows' I thought it was a recent song.
I’d challenge most music fans to listen to Tomorrow Never Knows or A Day In The Life or In My Life or Happiness Is A Warm Gun and at least concede on how well The Beatles could write songs.

Not many bands can claim to be good compositionally while also continually reinventing themselves and exploring new sounds - many of which had loosely never been put on tape before.

Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath et al. It’s a tiny group of artists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not many bands can claim to be good compositionally while also continually reinventing themselves and exploring new sounds - many of which had loosely never been put on tape before.

Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath et al. It’s a tiny group of artists.
There were tons of bands/artists exploring new sounds in the late 60's it's one of the most fertile times in the history of music.

Pink Floyd had to change focus when Barrett went nuts because none of them could write a single to save themselves, even then the germ of long experimental pieces was also part of the Barrett era.

*I wont comment on Radiohead it'll lead nowhere good.

Wham

They had a few catchy tunes and all that but they were no Hall and Oates.

Well overrated
I actually think they are underrated. They tend to get overshadowed by GM's solo career (understandably), but those 3 albums are really good. GM was also producing the bulk of their music come Make it Big. The early hits like Wham Rap, Bad Boys, Club Tropicana, etc. in particular cop it unfairly in pop culture. They were only about 18-20yo during those early singles. Hall & Oates were mid-late 20s when they started to break, at the same age GM was doing his sophomore solo album LWP.

They never blew me away, I preferred Rainbow a lot more
I've got several Rainbow songs on playlists.

Having said that, Deep Purple have a lot of very good "B" songs. Their hits are well known but it's their B sides that really do well

I've got several Rainbow songs on playlists.

Having said that, Deep Purple have a lot of very good "B" songs. Their hits are well known but it's their B sides that really do well
Fireball is an exceptional record, and not a hit on it. I'm a big Stormbringer fan too. Love that period of Deep Purple.

Ghost. Sort of gothic rock I guess they are, they get lumped in with metal but I don't reckon they're metal, I'm not sure what they are.

Anyway they appear to be massive, playing stadiums etc and I'm not sure why.

My impression is that Ghost have gone down the Ozzy approach in inserting pop-hooks and vocal harmonies within heavy metal songs, placing their songs on the 'lighter' end of the metal spectrum (with Ozzy IMO being the 'lightest' heavy metal around).

They're a bit more sludgy than Ozzy, so while they're slightly heavier, their sound doesn't lend itself to commercial success like Ozzy's did.

Rats is good - has a stomping riff and effective vocal harmonies. Definitely heavy metal, with a pop tinge. Their collaboration with Def Leppard was...interesting.

Nothing else from Ghost has really struck my fancy yet, though.

Fireball is an exceptional record, and not a hit on it. I'm a big Stormbringer fan too. Love that period of Deep Purple.
I like when a blind man cries
My impression is that Ghost have gone down the Ozzy approach in inserting pop-hooks and vocal harmonies within heavy metal songs, placing their songs on the 'lighter' end of the metal spectrum (with Ozzy IMO being the 'lightest' heavy metal around).

They're a bit more sludgy than Ozzy, so while they're slightly heavier, their sound doesn't lend itself to commercial success like Ozzy's did.

Rats is good - has a stomping riff and effective vocal harmonies. Definitely heavy metal, with a pop tinge. Their collaboration with Def Leppard was...interesting.

Nothing else from Ghost has really struck my fancy yet, though.
Square hammer and Elizabeth

That's my favourite album of theirs as well. Really like Abbey Road and Rubber Soul too, but most of the rest, meh. Lots of other and better bands from that era, and tons with way better musicians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back