Strategy Your ideal starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Our depth is really good, only feedback I have for teams is that I can't see Stack playing the back half. Once the cavalry returned from injury this year, he was moved forward with bursts in the middle. He's just so dangerous forward of centre that I think that's where his home will be.
agree, will be used as a shedda type....specific role mainly, but with the freedom to bob up here, there and everywhere based on instinct and match situations.

How can you not have Castagna. Was consistently better than Rioli last year and more a natural forward than Short. He would be ahead of Bolton as well at this stage. Would he not be the first small forward picked? Wasn't Rioli dropped last year while he maintained his place?

Castagna:
View attachment 786646

Rioli:
View attachment 786647

Bolton:
View attachment 786648

Bolton is the player on our list I am most excited about though.
It was a tough call.

For me
B: Broad Astbury Grimes
HB: Houli Rance Vlas
C: Caddy Edwards Lambert
HF: Bolton Lynch Castagna
F: Martin Riewoldt Rioli
Foll: Nank Cotch Prestia
Bench: Baker Graham Stack Soldo
Emergency: Ross Pickett Short

Basically I have Baker over Short because he doesn't appear to really s**t himself when opposition come at him and I am using Stack as a small pressure forward. To be perfectly honest though if I were to drop a small forward it would be Rioli who would be first dropped.

Genuinely hard to do this after the backs

B: Grimes 🏆🏆 Rance 🏆 Broad 🏆🏆
HB: Houli 🏆🏆 Astbury 🏆🏆 Vlastuin 🏆🏆
C: Caddy 🏆🏆 Prestia 🏆🏆 Lambert 🏆🏆
HF: Edwards 🏆🏆 Riewoldt 🏆🏆 Pickett 🏆
F: Rioli 🏆🏆 Lynch 🏆 Castagna 🏆🏆
FOLL: Nank 🏆🏆 Cotchin (C) 🏆🏆 Martin 🏆🏆
INT: Graham 🏆 Bolton 🏆 Stack Soldo 🏆
EMG: Short 🏆 Baker 🏆 KMac 🏆 Higgins

DES Garthwaite Short
Turner Nyoun Baker
Higgins Ross Mcintosh
Cumberland Miller Naish
Ralphsmith Chol Balta
CCJ RCD Dow
Markov English Aarts Martyn

B: Grimes 🏆🏆 Rance 🏆 Broad 🏆🏆
HB: Houli 🏆🏆 Astbury 🏆🏆 Vlastuin 🏆🏆
C: Caddy 🏆🏆 Prestia 🏆🏆 Lambert 🏆🏆
HF: Edwards 🏆🏆 Riewoldt 🏆🏆 Pickett 🏆
F: Rioli 🏆🏆 Lynch 🏆 Castagna 🏆🏆
FOLL: Nank 🏆🏆 Cotchin (C) 🏆🏆 Martin 🏆🏆
INT: Graham 🏆 Bolton 🏆 Stack Soldo 🏆
EMG: Short 🏆 Baker 🏆 KMac 🏆 Higgins

DES Garthwaite Short
Turner Nyoun Baker
Higgins Ross Mcintosh
Cumberland Miller Naish
Ralphsmith Chol Balta
CCJ RCD Dow
Markov English Aarts Martyn
Gonna be a lot more work soon editing in more premiership cups for all the players after we go B2B

Seniors
B---grimes-- Astbury--- short
Hb- Vlaustin--Rance--- Houli
C-- Caddy---- Pickett---Edwards
Hf Lambert---Reiwoldt---Rioli
Ff - Bolton--- Lynchy--- Martin
R - Soldo--- Ross ---- Prestia
Int - Cotchin---Castagna-- stack- Nank
--------------------------------------------------------------
Reserves
B--- Eggman ---- garthwaite--- baker
Hb-- Naish -------' Balta ---- broady
C -- Turner----- Graham---- Cumberland
Hf- Ralphsmith-- Chol----Dow
Ff - higgy-- biggy - Markov
R - CCJ ------ RCD ---English
Int - - aarts -- Kmac - miller - martyn

Last edited:
Not necessarily our STRONGEST starting 22 but very soon we need to start rolling out the post-Cotch/Rance/Riewoldt/Houli contingency plan.

B: Vlastuin Astbury Grimes
HB: Houli Rance Stack
C: Castagna Pickett Lambert
HF: Bolton Lynch Edwards
F: Martin Riewoldt Rioli
Foll: Soldo Cotchin Prestia
Bench: Ross Graham Naish Coleman-Jones

This team wins games and pumps some experience into the next wave at the same time.

Seniors
B---grimes-- Astbury--- short
Hb- Vlaustin--Rance--- Houli
C-- Caddy---- Pickett---Edwards
Hf Lambert---Reiwoldt---Rioli
Ff - Bolton--- Lynchy--- Martin
R - Soldo--- Ross ---- Prestia
Int - Cotchin---Castagna-- stack- Nank
--------------------------------------------------------------
Reserves
B--- Eggman ---- garthwaite--- baker
Hb-- Naish -------' Balta ---- broady
C -- Turner----- Graham---- Cumberland
Hf- Ralphsmith-- Chol----Dow
Ff - higgy-- biggy - Markov
R - CCJ ------ RCD ---English
Int - - aarts -- Kmac - miller
KMac is on the bench in the twos?!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever doesn't have Jack Graham in their side has short memories.
round 1 side will be picked on form, availability and team balance, not of previous heroics, great stuff by jack graham and all that...but got that feeling if vlossy, broad, shedda, cotchy or anyone else popped their shoulder on that day the result would have been the same..take a serious hit for the team, be selfness, get a jab or two and deal with the pain and get on with it. concussions are a different story of course.

round 1 side will be picked on form, availability and team balance, not of previous heroics, great stuff by jack graham and all that...but got that feeling if vlossy, broad, shedda, cotchy or anyone else popped their shoulder on that day the result would have been the same..take a serious hit for the team, be selfness, get a jab or two and deal with the pain and get on with it. concussions are a different story of course.
Maybe your right.But at this stage you'd have too come up with a massive reason why Graham wouldn't get a game.

Maybe your right.But at this stage you'd have too come up with a massive reason why Graham wouldn't get a game.
my theory/spin is that most of our list will be managed and those with a history of shoulder/knee/hamstring, calf, groin issues will only be expected to play 17, 18, 19, 20 games maximum

- cotchin, graham, prestia, lynch, rance, houli, higgo, nanks, lambert thats 9....to name a few will be told they are being looked after for longevity

and extra opportunities will be given, but not gifted to to ross, garth, balta, egg, naish, ccj, chol, rcd and markov plus others to fill the void and fast track their development and see if they can be up to the task/s without being thrown to the wolves because they are thereabouts anyways, and all walk up starts in rebuilding, struggling, or bottom 4 teams.

arrogance maybe, but we need our best 25 fit, fresh and rarin to go in september not july.

Will have a delayed start to his preseason after his surgery, so still give him a full preseason after he's recovered and let him hit peak form in the 2nd half of the year

B: Grimes, Astbury, Broad
HB: Vlastuin, Rance, Houli
C: Caddy, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Bolton
F: Rioli, Lynch, Castagna
R: Soldo, Martin, Prestia
I: Nankervis, Pickett, Stack, Graham

--

B: Egg-Smith, Garthwaite, Naish
HB: Short, Balta, Baker
C: McIntosh, Ross, Turner
HF: English, Miller, Dow
F: Aarts, Chol, Markov
R: CCJ, RCD, Higgins
I: Martyn, Ralphsmith, Cumberland, Nyoun

Some pretty bloody good depth there, that VFL back 6 is insane. Beauty of it is that we could look back at this come round 1 and 6+ of the guys who I've named in the VFL could realistically be a chance of playing AFL. Really even group that should push eachother to maintain standards, genuinely will be 30+ guys all thinking they are deserving of a spot in the best 22.

my theory/spin is that most of our list will be managed and those with a history of shoulder/knee/hamstring, calf, groin issues will only be expected to play 17, 18, 19, 20 games maximum

- cotchin, graham, prestia, lynch, rance, houli, higgo, nanks, lambert thats 9....to name a few will be told they are being looked after for longevity

and extra opportunities will be given, but not gifted to to ross, garth, balta, egg, naish, ccj, chol, rcd and markov plus others to fill the void and fast track their development and see if they can be up to the task/s without being thrown to the wolves because they are thereabouts anyways, and all walk up starts in rebuilding, struggling, or bottom 4 teams.

arrogance maybe, but we need our best 25 fit, fresh and rarin to go in september not july.
Yeah. I can see us go with CJ rucking alternating with Nank for a few games and then Soldo for a few games. I can see Balta playing wing and back up ruck. In the ruck Balta doesn't have to either fwd or back and that should suit. I can see Ross, JG, Pickett rotating through the VFL. I can see Stack, Short and Baker rotating through the small back position. Broad may not play all games. JR maybe miss 4 or 5 games and see how Chol goes. Wings: the only genuine spot available. Let's see whoever play through there. Small fwd rest George, and Shai a bit. RCD maybe plays a few games for Cotch.

Totally agree with "Rotating" our more seasoned players.Just shows what a great position we are in.But come September and all being equal,Jack Graham will be one of the first picked.

Will have a delayed start to his preseason after his surgery, so still give him a full preseason after he's recovered and let him hit peak form in the 2nd half of the year
I understand that.Delayed pre-season means he's up against it rnd 1.But this thread is about your ideal starting 22.

Totally agree with "Rotating" our more seasoned players.Just shows what a great position we are in.But come September and all being equal,Jack Graham will be one of the first picked.
Each to his own judgement, but i have him JG that is, picked a lot later than that, at around 20-25 jostling with those last spots with higgo, short, baker and ross. only a dozen automatic selections in our side these days we are so brim with riches with so many putting their hands up if we stay healthy and on this crest of the wave are riding, to the oppositions envy and jealousy.

Each to his own judgement, but i have him JG that is, picked a lot later than that, at around 20-25 jostling with those last spots with higgo, short, baker and ross. only a dozen automatic selections in our side these days we are so brim with riches with so many putting their hands up if we stay healthy and on this crest of the wave are riding, to the oppositions envy and jealousy.

cant find a spot for Ellis?

Hate to be Our Match committee come September if our list is healthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back