Strategy Your ideal starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

cant find a spot for Ellis?
nah, couldn't squeeze him in, plus i'm hearin he's just moved into little gazza's mansion on the goldie rent free, with tony cockroach as his personal chauffeur on top of his 3 million salary as well as an extra 5 mil in watch sales from his new hoard of wealthy clients. ;)

B: Grimes, Astbury, Broad
HB: Vlastuin, Rance, Houli
C: Caddy, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Bolton
F: Rioli, Lynch, Castagna
R: Soldo, Martin, Prestia
I: Nankervis, Pickett, Stack, Graham

--

B: Egg-Smith, Garthwaite, Naish
HB: Short, Balta, Baker
C: McIntosh, Ross, Turner
HF: English, Miller, Dow
F: Aarts, Chol, Markov
R: CCJ, RCD, Higgins
I: Martyn, Ralphsmith, Cumberland, Nyoun

Some pretty bloody good depth there, that VFL back 6 is insane. Beauty of it is that we could look back at this come round 1 and 6+ of the guys who I've named in the VFL could realistically be a chance of playing AFL. Really even group that should push eachother to maintain standards, genuinely will be 30+ guys all thinking they are deserving of a spot in the best 22.

This is my possible 22 for the next GF.

B: Stack, Rance, Grimes

HB:Vlastuin, Astbury, Houli

C: Caddy, RCD , Lambert

HF: Edwards, Dusty, Nyuon

F: Lynch, JR, Rioli

R: Nank/Soldo, Cotch, Prestia

I: Pickett, Graham, Bolton, Ross/Naish/Turner

I put a few multiples because I think a few things can happen even with others outside this list depending on how Balta, CCJ and others develop especially Martyn, Noah

[/QUOTE]

FB Nathan Broad Alex Rance Dylan Grimes
HB Sydney Stack Bachar Houli Nick Vlastuin
C Josh Caddy Trent Cotchin Kamdyn McIntosh
HF Dustin Martin Jack Riewoldt Daniel Rioli
FF Jason Castagna Tom Lynch Shai Bolton
FOL Ivan Soldo Dion Prestia Shane Edwards
INT Marlion Picket Hugo Ralphsmith Jack Graham Kane Lambert

EM Mabior Chol Noah Balta Liam Baker Jack Ross

Just messing around and didn't think about it too much. Really want to see Hugo get some games (Would love the other draftees to too) since he is a winger, i would love to see Kamdyn come back in as well (Bit biased because i met him) but at the end of the day happy with whatever team takes the field. Go Tiges

Playing form will be the big decider I dare say...remember Pickett getting picked for the GF last year...take your pick of 2019 GF's ...VFL or AFL! ;)
You would think by rnd 18 the side be pretty much settled (injuries aside).
Although you wouldn't want to drop your guard at senior or Vfl level.As you said with Pickett you never know.

Just remember folks when you're doing your 22 that you need to include a seventh defender on the bench. Otherwise what, they have to play all game? Particularly the running defenders Houli, Short, Baker, Stack, Vlaus etc will be benched when they get up the ground. You can't stack your bench with your favourite players. There needs to be at least one chop out defender in the rotation. Otherwise your team isn't realistic. Seven defenders people.

Hate to be Our Match committee come September if our list is healthy.
hopefully our young depth players get enough senior games to keep keen for 2021. I really can't see Kmac or Markov getting more than a token game. Some club may come knocking on Ross & CJ's door for 2021. But its going to be tough getting a senior game this year.

Just remember folks when you're doing your 22 that you need to include a seventh defender on the bench. Otherwise what, they have to play all game? Particularly the running defenders Houli, Short, Baker, Stack, Vlaus etc will be benched when they get up the ground. You can't stack your bench with your favourite players. There needs to be at least one chop out defender in the rotation. Otherwise your team isn't realistic. Seven defenders people.
But it is an ideal starting 22.So I'd Rest a couple of players, reward players who have trained well etc. At the moment Stack & Rance my INs for Broad & Short. but I'm inclined to chuck CJ into the mix for Soldo. And debut a new player on the Ellis wing.

Gonna be real hard to score goals against a fit Richmond in 2020...

It is probably the best i've ever seen the list too. Christ almighty, footy should be fun next year.

hopefully our young depth players get enough senior games to keep keen for 2021. I really can't see Kmac or Markov getting more than a token game. Some club may come knocking on Ross & CJ's door for 2021. But its going to be tough getting a senior game this year.
Bit like this year.Outside of Rance.#Fakeinjuries.

From the AFL website...pretty close I spose

RICHMOND
Two premiership players – Nathan Broad and Liam Baker – along with Gold Coast-bound Brandon Ellis miss out on the side, allowing for the inclusions of Alex Rance, Jack Graham and Sydney Stack. It's a tough call. The Tigers love what the dour Broad brings to the side, while Baker's enthusiasm is second to none. There's certainly no guarantee Jack Higgins will be right to go in round one; he is still on a part-time program after two operations for a bleed on his brain. Grand Final heartbreak stories Jack Ross and Kamdyn McIntosh are viable options to come into the team in the case of injury. – Sarah Black

B: David Astbury, Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes
HB: Nick Vlastuin, Bachar Houli, Jayden Short
C: Josh Caddy, Dustin Martin, Jack Graham
HF: Shane Edwards, Jack Riewoldt, Kane Lambert
F: Jason Castagna, Tom Lynch, Shai Bolton
Foll: Ivan Soldo, Dion Prestia, Trent Cotchin
I/C: Toby Nankervis, Sydney Stack, Daniel Rioli, Marlion Pickett

DEPTH
Defenders: Liam Baker, Nathan Broad, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Ryan Garthwaite, Ben Miller, Patrick Naish, Bigoa Nyuon
Midfielders: Riley Collier-Dawkins, Thomson Dow, Luke English, Will Martyn, Kamdyn McIntosh, Hugo Ralphsmith, Jack Ross, Fraser Turner
Forwards: Jake Aarts, Noah Cumberland, Jack Higgins, Oleg Markov
Rucks: Noah Balta, Mabior Chol, Callum Coleman-Jones

Lazy Journalism.

Broad aint being dropped for Rance.

Anyone with half a brain would know Broad is a dual Premiership player for a reason as he is seen as a best 22 player by the MC AND he already played with Rance and Dave and Grimes in 2017 AND all of 2018 AND round 1 2019 before Rance went down

Yes the Tigers love his dourness and what he brings hence he's a 2 time premiership player.

So no he is best 22, journos and people just see Rance in so we drop Broad cos hes tall.

That shows no real undersatanding of what Nathans role is and what he brings to the side with his versatility and team first play which is half the reason the defence is so good is because of the multiple roles he plays throughout the course of a game.

Nathan will definately be there imo if fitness and form are at the level as goes for everyone.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vlaustin Rance Astbury
Houli Grimes Edwards
Caddy Prestia Pickett
Reiwoldt Martin Lambert
Rioli Lynch Castagna
Soldo Cotchin Graham
Nankervis Bolton Ross Stack

RICHMOND
Two premiership players – Nathan Broad and Liam Baker – along with Gold Coast-bound Brandon Ellis miss out on the side, allowing for the inclusions of Alex Rance, Jack Graham and Sydney Stack. It's a tough call. The Tigers love what the dour Broad brings to the side, while Baker's enthusiasm is second to none. There's certainly no guarantee Jack Higgins will be right to go in round one; he is still on a part-time program after two operations for a bleed on his brain. Grand Final heartbreak stories Jack Ross and Kamdyn McIntosh are viable options to come into the team in the case of injury. – Sarah Black

DEPTH
Defenders: Liam Baker, Nathan Broad, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Ryan Garthwaite, Ben Miller, Patrick Naish, Bigoa Nyuon
Midfielders: Riley Collier-Dawkins, Thomson Dow, Luke English, Will Martyn, Kamdyn McIntosh, Hugo Ralphsmith, Jack Ross, Fraser Turner

Every line has quality of player even the depth...
I would put MP starting center and start from there...too much footy experience and talent to start as IC...

Grimes Rance Broad

Houli Astbury Vlastuin

Pickett Prestia Graham

Rioli Riewoldt Lambert

castagna Lynch Edwards

Nank Martin Cotchin

Stack, Ross, soldo, Caddy

B: Grimes Astbury Rance
HB: Houli Vlastuin Short
C: Pickett Cotchin Caddy
HF: Castagna Edwards Bolton
F: Rioli Lynch Riewoldt
R: Soldo Martin Prestia
INT: Broad Graham Lambert Nankervis

B: DES Garthwaite Nyoun
HB: KMac Balta Baker
C: Naish Ross Turner
HF Stack Chol Higgins
F: Aarts Miller Markov
R: CCJ RCD Dow
INT: English Martyn Ralphsmith Cumberland

when i look at the age and stage that our tall defenders are at Grimes Astbury and Rance are all 28 plus with the two bigger genuine kpd players 29 and 30.

Me im looking at the club to start grooming the next kpd in the same team as these blokes. I reckon the club has started the process with Balta late last yr.

For me its Grimes back to his old role playing on the oppositions best small or medium fwd. Balta to play Chb with rance in the third tall role giving him help and a chop out when needed.We get games into a very promising kid while the wily old heads are there to teach.For me thats a win win and something i really think we need to seriously look at.
I think people forget that Rance is if not our most prolific rebound player hed be damn close to it. He could take of a few kgs and the strain that having to stay bulked up would place on his old legs.He plays as a third tall in a lot of games as it is anyway.
Unluckily the one who misses out in this is Broad but why cant we reinvent him like we do with Caddy every few yrs.

Lazy Journalism.

Broad aint being dropped for Rance.

Anyone with half a brain would know Broad is a dual Premiership player for a reason as he is seen as a best 22 player by the MC AND he already played with Rance and Dave and Grimes in 2017 AND all of 2018 AND round 1 2019 before Rance went down

Yes the Tigers love his dourness and what he brings hence he's a 2 time premiership player.

So no he is best 22, journos and people just see Rance in so we drop Broad cos hes tall.

That shows no real undersatanding of what Nathans role is and what he brings to the side with his versatility and team first play which is half the reason the defence is so good is because of the multiple roles he plays throughout the course of a game.

Nathan will definately be there imo if fitness and form are at the level as goes for everyone.
With a smorgasbord of versatile and top notch backmen, I'm predicting Broad will get a regular gig and Dylan Grimes getting a lot of wing time, has that 'Bryan Wood' dash and long driving kick about him and a great mark and spoiler, who is superbly fit and durable with plenty of dare and vigour now, Sooooo off with the shackles Dimma and give Grima a crack at it.

RICHMOND

DEPTH
I like this side but want Jack Ross in there. Would have him over both Short and Graham. Kid is a gun in the making.

Vlaustin Rance Astbury
Houli Grimes Edwards
Caddy Prestia Pickett
Reiwoldt Martin Lambert
Rioli Lynch Castagna
Soldo Cotchin Graham
Nankervis Bolton Ross Stack
A very good side except the bench requires a taller back. Possibly Broad.

With a smorgasbord of versatile and top notch backmen, I'm predicting Broad will get a regular gig and Dylan Grimes getting a lot of wing time, has that 'Bryan Wood' dash and long driving kick about him and a great mark and spoiler, who is superbly fit and durable with plenty of dare and vigour now, Sooooo off with the shackles Dimma and give Grima a crack at it.

lmao wut

I really dont think it would be prudent to move the clubs best defender against sml and med forwards and who goes okay against talls as well. Robbing peter to pay paul in a big way. Especially when we have a heap of younger players who can and should be getting games on the wing. it has been a position that clubs have used to ease younger mids into the game.

Imo you you are right to mention Broad and Grimes together. To me its not weather Rance replaces Broad, Rance is an automatic inclusion no matter which way you look at it, Its about Grimes who is a far better player than Broad if we send him back to his old pre Rance injury role.

Broad is in no way a kpd more a lock down player on small and medium types Grimes is far more accomplished in that. The age of our KPD,S means it would be prudent to start getting games into a successor. For me that player is Balta. so Balta comes in to play Kpd, Rance plays third tall Astbury Kpd and Grimes plays his old role of playing on the sml/med type fwds.There is no place for a fifth tall especially one who provides little rebound.

Yep we persevere with the old set up or acknowledge its time to start developing and getting games into the next crop of kpp,s at the club. I think we need to do the latter.

FB: Grimes Rance Broad
HB Houli Astbury Vlastuin
C: Edwards Prestia Caddy
HF: Rioli Reiwoldt Lambert
FF: Bolton Lynch Castagna
R: Soldo Martin Cotchin
I: Pickett Graham Stack Nank
EMG: Short Ross Baker Balta

Think you nailed it on an ALL AVAILABLE basis. I doubt Graham will be risked that early, that probably brings Ross or Short in. Cotch will probably want to be there for the opener, but would not be surprised if he has a niggle that slows him after pre-season and JLT (or whatever the friggen call it this year).

Watching the highlights of matches during the season again, noticed a few things:
1. stack is a dead set gun, some of the things he was doing in his first games was incredible for such a young player. Forgot how good he is. Must keep him in the team
2. Bolton was such an important part of our attacking setup this year. The number of creative / disruptive plays he set up and number of goal assists was a big part in kicking winning scores each week. Must keep him in the team
3. Lynch Riewoldt and Martin - won’t get a deadlier combination of finishers ever again in our club history. Each one is a cool set shot, riewoldts kicking was even a bit off this year, if he recovers it back to previous season levels we will be unstoppable.
4. Lambert has to be up there as our most clutch player. Kicks important goals at crunch moments all the time. Rarely misses
5. Prestia had an unreal season as we all know. He also kicked a lot of goals and his disposal was generally very improved

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back