Strategy Your ideal starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

From the last injury update

Jack Graham, shoulder

"Jack’s resumed full contact training this week. He was doing a little bit last week, has done a little bit more this week and next week we'll do absolutely everything. We're targeting the second Marsh Series game for Jack Graham to return to the team."

He has been but I think it becomes a case of where a spot opens up that decides where he gets picked for the AFL side. I still like him across HB as his disposal is much better than the likes of Short/Baker when coming out of D50

I prefer him there too, but it seems match committee have decided he is needed more up forward. And then if a spot opens up as you suggest, Naish may get a shot if they have settled on Stack as a forward half player. Before that though, Short and Baker I would think have established their ability to play down back at the premiership level.

I prefer him there too, but it seems match committee have decided he is needed more up forward. And then if a spot opens up as you suggest, Naish may get a shot if they have settled on Stack as a forward half player. Before that though, Short and Baker I would think have established their ability to play down back at the premiership level.
This is the initial side I named in this thread.

B: Grimes Astbury Rance
HB: Houli Vlastuin Stack
C: Caddy Cotchin Pickett
HF: Castagna Lambert Bolton
F: Rioli Lynch Riewoldt
R: Soldo Martin Prestia
INT: Edwards Broad Graham Nankervis

Then after thinking about it a bit the side I settled on as the one I think they will play most often if everyone is fit is

B: Grimes Astbury Rance
HB: Houli Vlastuin Short
C: Pickett Cotchin Caddy
HF: Castagna Riewoldt Bolton
F: Rioli Lynch Martin
R: Soldo Graham Prestia
INT: Broad Edwards Lambert Nankervis

Then there is this side which I'd like to see play for the development of players for the long term future.

B: Grimes Astbury Broad
HB: Stack Balta Vlastuin
C: Pickett Ross Caddy
HF: Castagna Lynch Bolton
F: Martin Riewoldt Rioli
R: Soldo Graham Prestia
INT: RCD Baker Lambert CCJ

So I don't think there is the one ideal line up, I think there should be different line ups depending on what we're trying to achieve at any given point in the season.

Respectfully disagree, the kid showed at the start of his career that he could match it with the oppositions best mids and that was after just his first preseason. Having had another summer under his belt and by all reports getting in better shape than he was last year there is no reason to hold him back, especially earlier in the season when we've got the ability to experiment a little, knowing that we're still good enough to remain one of the teams to beat.
Coming back in his best shape shows he has the dedication to improve.Has he improved enough to displace Lambert let alone Cotch or Sheds.I think not.

Coming back in his best shape shows he has the dedication to improve.Has he improved enough to displace Lambert let alone Cotch or Sheds.I think not.
It's not so much a case of displacing them, just taking the opportunity to use him as part of the starting midfield while still having these guys around as fall back options by still having them in the line up.

As we saw last season when Cotchin was hurt the likes of Ross & Graham were able to step in and fill the void so we're not really losing anything by trying something like this. With both Cotchin & Edwards closer to the end than the start of their careers why not take the opportunity, especially early in the season to take some of the pressure off of them and manage them through the season so then when we get to the business end of the season, these guys are fresher than they would be having been smacked around for the majority of the season.
The reasoning doesn't matter, I can tell you they aren't gonna do it lol. They will start with what they consider the best 18.

The reasoning doesn't matter, I can tell you they aren't gonna do it lol. They will start with what they consider the best 18.
I agree it won't happen, just saying what I'd like to see happen if the opportunity arises, which it no doubt will happen with injuries

Lmao teams dont have best 18s they have best 22s. It doesnt matter who starts the game, at the end of the day the mids in particular will all spend a similar amount of time on the ground.
Even if Cotchin starts he will probably spend a rotation on the bench after 5 minutes.it really is neither here nor there who starts.
Jack Ross has already shown he is more than capable of coping with starting an afl game he gives us that bigger body as well so there is a point of difference.

Cotchin is 30 in April and it seems he is starting to feel the knocks and niggles nothing absurd at all about him starting a game on the pine. it doesnt matter if he does and it doesnt matter if he doesnt.
I reckon Edwards will start in the fwd half as usual with plenty of rotations thru the middle.

I for one have no problems with Ross, RCD, Balta, Stack and Graham being in for rnd one.I think potentially and structurally it is our best side.
I find it difficult to comprehend people dont see the need for bigger bodies and in particular the need to get games into a tall defender who has the physical attributed for the role especially now that Rance has gone.

I dont believe Short is a good fit as a defender for reasons that plenty here have spoken about.

I believe Baker is extremely vulnerable as a defender because of his size. Good sides will take him deep and single him out.

Ellis is gone thank god.

Rioli gets a free ride and doesnt do enough besides why the need when theres Bolton, Edwards, Castagna , Stack Pickett Lambert and Graham who can all play sml fwd but offer something in rotations.

Soldo or Nankervis i for dont believe we need to play two ruckmen in most games especially two dinosaurs.

Lmao teams dont have best 18s they have best 22s. It doesnt matter who starts the game, at the end of the day the mids in particular will all spend a similar amount of time on the ground.
Even if Cotchin starts he will probably spend a rotation on the bench after 5 minutes.it really is neither here nor there who starts.
Jack Ross has already shown he is more than capable of coping with starting an afl game he gives us that bigger body as well so there is a point of difference.

Cotchin is 30 in April and it seems he is starting to feel the knocks and niggles nothing absurd at all about him starting a game on the pine. it doesnt matter if he does and it doesnt matter if he doesnt.
I reckon Edwards will start in the fwd half as usual with plenty of rotations thru the middle.

I for one have no problems with Ross, RCD, Balta, Stack and Graham being in for rnd one.I think potentially and structurally it is our best side.
I find it difficult to comprehend people dont see the need for bigger bodies and in particular the need to get games into a tall defender who has the physical attributed for the role especially now that Rance has gone.

I dont believe Short is a good fit as a defender for reasons that plenty here have spoken about.

I believe Baker is extremely vulnerable as a defender because of his size. Good sides will take him deep and single him out.

Ellis is gone thank god.

Rioli gets a free ride and doesnt do enough besides why the need when theres Bolton, Edwards, Castagna , Stack Pickett Lambert and Graham who can all play sml fwd but offer something in rotations.

Soldo or Nankervis i for dont believe we need to play two ruckmen in most games especially two dinosaurs.
Jeez izzz sounds like we are going to do it tough for 2020...

Ellis is gone thank god.

Listen to any of the clubs personnel and it's crystal clear that Shorty and Houli are barely considered defenders.

The lack of comprehension on BF about the role he is picked to play shits me. He is clearly rated by the powers that be and until someone does a better job of it than he does, he will stay in the team.

Stacky probably the closest to edging him out.

Ellis is gone thank god.

I agree with a lot of this. I love Baker but I'd prefer him up the ground. He is a great mark. So playing him deep defence, at his height is not the best position. I'd like to see us without Short for a game or 2 to see if we miss his metres gained. Cotch is a vital player but had a fair bit of injury last year. Nurse him through the season. I want him playing in September. Soldos improvement last year was ridiculous. Him and a fully fit Nank are a formidable duo. Both take intercept marks, tackle with intent. The extra height of Soldo is a point of difference. I hope CJ plays 10 games this year. I hope they play him Round 1. At this stage I wouldn't play Balta. Small forwards should be under scrutiny too. I think RCD, Ross , Stack, Pickett will be demanding a spot and it may be at the expense of a small forward or 2

Last edited:
Tough exercise these days eh? Here is my crack at it.

I'm a touch concerned about the rebound off half back on offer here but take comfort that either Edwards or Stack can head back if needed for some rebound and creativity. Great runners in Pickett, Graham and Lambert to provide fresh legs off the bench as well as Nank to relieve the big Croat. Short and Baker from the premiership side have been omitted for Graham and Stack.

FB: Grimes Astbury Broad
HB: Vlastuin Balta Houli
C: Bolton Cotchin Caddy
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Edwards
FF: Stack Lynch Castagna
R: Soldo Prestia Martin

I: Pickett Graham Lambert Nankervis

AFL Standard depth: McIntosh, Short, Ross, Higgins, Baker, Chol, Eggmolesse-Smith
Next in line: Collier-Dawkins, Naish, Garthwaite, Coleman-Jones, Markov
Too early: Turner, Dow, Nyoun, Ralphsmith, Cumberland, Martyn
Hard to see a future: Miller, Aarts, English
N.A: Rance

NB: I'm probably a bit hard on English as its still really early days. I just cant see what he has to offer. I was wrong about Baker though and his now a premiership player.

My Ideal 22-

B - Grimes, Astbury, Vlaustin
HB- Houli, Balta, short
C- Caddy, Martin, Bolton
HF - lambert, Riewoldt, Edwards
F- Rioli, Lynch, Castagna
R- Soldo, cotchin, prestia
INT- Pickett, Graham, nankervis, stack,

em - broad, higgins, ross, RCD, baker
Very, very hard to pick a side with Broad very stiff. I love the way he goes about it and I rate him but I just felt with Rance back this year (now replaced by Balta IMO) he would be the one to possibly miss out. Yes he's better defensively than short, but shorty gives us the run and drive with his long kicking out of the backline.
Our 22 for round 1 could come from anyone of 30 players. Its so good to have great depth

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Edwards Balta Houli
C: Stack Cotchin Caddy
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Bolton
FF: Martin, Lynch Castagna

R: Soldo, Prestia, Ross

I: Pickett, Lambert, Nankervis, Collier-Dawkins

EM: Graham, Broad, Short, Baker, Higgins

If we can't play a few new players like Ross, RCD, Balta, Pickett and Stack together something is wrong.
Because they can all play and have great upsides.

Graham is next in line mid. He really should be named but in front of .... RCD (perhaps). See above.
Broad out only to see what Balta gives, will still get plenty of games
Short just not as good off HB as Edwards or Houli. Edwards will return to the midfield as younger players tire as season goes. Tip top come finals.

Rioli will need to improve on last year, I'm backing him to do so.
Coleman Jones or Nankervis if hampered by injury or limited pre season still.
Caddy will want to play well because they are lining up for that wing spot.
Baker unlucky and I really rate him.
Higgins needs some dominant VFL footy behind him.

astbury grimes broad
houli mcintosh vlastuin
edwards cotchin lambert
pickett riewoldt caddy
aarts lynch short
nankervis martin prestia
soldo markov george chol

rioli baker graham

^^ oldest 22

astbury grimes vlastuin
houli broad baker
edwards cotchin caddy
lambert riewoldt rioli
george lynch higgins
nank martin prestia
mcintosh short graham bolton

soldo stack markov

^^ most experienced 22

I agree with a lot of this. I love Baker but I'd prefer him up the ground. He is a great mark. So playing him deep defence, at his height is not the best position. I'd like to see us without Short for a game or 2 to see if we miss his metres gained. Cotch is a vital player but had a fair bit of injury last year. Nurse him through the season. I want him playing in September. Soldos improvement last year was ridiculous. Him and a fully fit Nank are a formidable duo. Both take intercept marks, tackle with intent. The extra height of Soldo is a point of difference. I hope CJ plays 10 games this year. I hope they play him Round 1. At this stage I wouldn't play Balta. Small forwards should be under scrutiny too. I think RCD, Ross , Stack, Pickett will be demanding a spot and it may be at the expense of a small forward or 2
we were without Short for 10 games last yr from rounds 4 to 13. In that time especially around the half way mark we had a shed load of injuries not just Short, yet we managed in that time to win 6 and lose 4. Others stepped up and played his role well. Imo there are far better more rounded options than Short.

just my opinion but he is a player with huge defensive short comings who is almost totally reliant on team mates getting the ball to him and the team process doing well and thats putting it nicely.

Listen to any of the clubs personnel and it's crystal clear that Shorty and Houli are barely considered defenders.

The lack of comprehension on BF about the role he is picked to play shits me. He is clearly rated by the powers that be and until someone does a better job of it than he does, he will stay in the team.

Stacky probably the closest to edging him out.
I get accused of being condescending around here but i have nothing on those who defend players at all costs.

FMD everyone knows Shorts role some just dont agree that it is enough.But hey once again if anyone doesnt agree with the club they somehow lack comprehension.
Imo its laughable that some gobble up everything the club says as gospel.Of course they want Houli and Short to be able to defend.

Funny you mention Stack as his replacement, i think the vast majority would take Stack Over Short as a defender or even as a pure outlet player most days, Why would that be? Because Stack is a well rounded player who could not only provide an outlet and deliver the ball as Short does but defend apply lots of pressure and get a bit of ball himself without the panic attacks.

And that somehow amounts to a lack of comprehension when in fact its asking for a more rounded player to do the role.
Do i disagree with you and the club that this is the way it should be you bet ya.

I get accused of being condescending around here but i have nothing on those who defend players at all costs.

FMD everyone knows Shorts role some just dont agree that it is enough.But hey once again if anyone doesnt agree with the club they somehow lack comprehension.
Imo its laughable that some gobble up everything the club says as gospel.Of course they want Houli and Short to be able to defend.

Funny you mention Stack as his replacement, i think the vast majority would take Stack Over Short as a defender or even as a pure outlet player most days, Why would that be? Because Stack is a well rounded player who could not only provide an outlet and deliver the ball as Short does but defend apply lots of pressure and get a bit of ball himself without the panic attacks.

And that somehow amounts to a lack of comprehension when in fact its asking for a more rounded player to do the role.
Do i disagree with you and the club that this is the way it should be you bet ya.
Cool.

Round 1. I'm strategically resting players. Nank & Graham. See how CJ rucks, see how RCD goes at AFL level.
B: Broad - Astbury - Vlastuin
HB: Stack - Grimes - Houli/Short
C: Edwards - Prestia - Caddy
HF: Bolton- Lynch - Rioli
F: Castagna - Riewoldt - CCJ
Foll: Soldo - Cotchin - Martin
INT: Ross, Pickett, Baker, RCD

Round 1. I'm strategically resting players. Nank & Graham. See how CJ rucks, see how RCD goes at AFL level.
B: Broad - Astbury - Vlastuin
HB: Stack - Grimes - Houli/Short
C: Edwards - Prestia - Caddy
HF: Bolton- Lynch - Rioli
F: Castagna - Riewoldt - CCJ
Foll: Soldo - Cotchin - Martin
INT: Ross, Pickett, Baker, RCD
Lambert unlucky?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back