Opinion Your impression of each club's fanbase

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised this has gotten to 3 pages without any fights
I think anyone who has their head screwed on knows that you have nuffies in all supporter bases, and labeling an entire group based on your interactions with a select few might be fun but doesn’t actually have any merit.

From my close observations at games I only really have a few that stand out

Richmond and Collingwood supporters are there to get absolutely rolling drunk. The footy is incidental.

Melbourne supporters are ambivalent about their team.

Carlton has the most knobs. You know, the types that try to directly bait others in the crowd instead of directing their ire at the game. They’re not all knobs, of course, they just have plenty of them.

Geelong has the most genuine nuffies. Like NQR people. Cheer squad types.

The rest haven’t really left an impression on me.

From my close observations at games I only really have a few that stand out

Richmond and Collingwood supporters are there to get absolutely rolling drunk. The footy is incidental.

Melbourne supporters are ambivalent about their team.

Carlton has the most knobs. You know, the types that try to directly bait others in the crowd instead of directing their ire at the game. They’re not all knobs, of course, they just have plenty of them.

Geelong has the most genuine nuffies. Like NQR people. Cheer squad types.

The rest haven’t really left an impression on me.
Yep, my mate used to go to Geelong games with his missus, separated from each other by one seat by an old duck who refused to move because it was HER SEAT.

Richmond: biggest cry babies out there when things aren't going their way. Never humble in defeat
Yep, seems that way. It might be generational, though some of the older supportere seem to have foegotten their manhood / womanhood and started throwing toys out the cot. It's unbecoming and shameful to lose badly clutching at excuses.

I'd say it's pretty hard to generalise everyone who supports a club, but there are tendencies you can identify, based on many factors like history, identity, success or lack thereof. West Coast has in general been a very successful club, so I think we expect to at least compete. I think if we miss finals it's considered a huge failure. Maybe it borders on arrogance, but we've also had some tough times (which club hasn't?). The early 00s and then the hangover from our mid 00s glory years (where we still won only one premiership by 1 point) come to mind.

Before the Dockers we were the only club in town, so I think supporting the Eagles was something you simply did as a West Australian. Same with the Wildcats or Glory or whatever other team. In the early days it was always about state pride. Eagles were WA, as State of Origin sadly declined. There is still some of that. As an Eagles fan who's moved to Melbourne I still think of my Eagles gear kind of marking me out as a West Australian too. Melbourne clubs no longer have those local associations, except the Bulldogs perhaps.

Have to admit some Dockers fans do have a huge chip on their shoulder and seem really bitter...but I've known a lot of arrogant Eagles flogs so somewhat understandable. Still I feel jealousy plays a role, and that younger sibling role. Have had a few bad experiences with Collingwood fans here in Melbourne but think they're just bad apples. Have found per capita Richmond and Bulldogs supporters seem the most loyal and passionate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say it's pretty hard to generalise everyone who supports a club, but there are tendencies you can identify, based on many factors like history, identity, success or lack thereof. West Coast has in general been a very successful club, so I think we expect to at least compete. I think if we miss finals it's considered a huge failure. Maybe it borders on arrogance, but we've also had some tough times (which club hasn't?). The early 00s and then the hangover from our mid 00s glory years (where we still won only one premiership by 1 point) come to mind.

Before the Dockers we were the only club in town, so I think supporting the Eagles was something you simply did as a West Australian. Same with the Wildcats or Glory or whatever other team. In the early days it was always about state pride. Eagles were WA, as State of Origin sadly declined. There is still some of that. As an Eagles fan who's moved to Melbourne I still think of my Eagles gear kind of marking me out as a West Australian too. Melbourne clubs no longer have those local associations, except the Bulldogs perhaps.

You are right that as a West Australian you were expected to support West Coast and especially in the one-team-town years of 1987-94. I never supported them because I started to dislike the massive media coverage they got and the crazy pro-Eagles bias of the media. That made me pretty much an outcast. The demise of State of Origin was very sad. It is interesting how in QLD the rugby-league fans support their club and state team but in WA it didn't happen that way. Something else that was very sad is the demise of the WAFL. For years I blamed the Eagles but now I realize the poor logic in that position.

Talking about dark days of the Eagles, remember the game at Windy Hill in 1988 or 1989 when the Eagles only scored one goal?

Adelaide: non-football fans that became interested once the AFL established a team, who also didn't switch over to Port in 1997

Port: ex-Adelaide supporters

Freo: masochists

Melbourne: come from fairweather football families, almost always recruited by sad childless uncles

Richmond: grew up in and still live in the Richmond flats

St Kilda: masochists

Geelong: gigachads

Adelaide: non-football fans that became interested once the AFL established a team, who also didn't switch over to Port in 1997

Port: ex-Adelaide supporters

Freo: masochists

Melbourne: come from fairweather football families, almost always recruited by sad childless uncles

Richmond: grew up in and still live in the Richmond flats

St Kilda: masochists

Geelong: gigachads
So Adelaide fans are non footballing fans that didn’t switch to port and port fans are former Adelaide fans

You really don’t know the history of SA do you, if you think port fans would support Adelaide 1991-1996 that’s a laugh

I don't really have too many impressions of what other supporters are like as a group.

I would however love to go back in time to when the VFL was formed, at least when Collingwood was admitted, and Port Mebourne wasn't, apparently because their fans were the worst in the league.
I mean how bad would they have to be to be worse than Collingwood fans?

(In the last decade or so the Collingwood peeps I've run into here in WA have been a pretty good mob.)

Every fan base is pretty much the same.

We’re all campaigners.
This.

We blame the umpires the moment the game starts slipping away when our team is being outplayed. We can never admit it's our team's poor play and the opposition's good play. Not yet anyway. It's always the umpires.

We scream "WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!?" when we have no idea why the umpire just penalised our side. Simple logic says it was an off-the-ball, holding the man decision. The ump saw one of our players cheating and rightfully pinged him. But the fact we didn't see it ourselves means we boo the umpires loudly for paying a "bullshiit phantom charity free kick" to the other team

We feel persecuted by the AFL, MRO, tribunal, umpires, Channel 7 and media. We think they all have a vendetta against our clubs.

We want to sack the coach the moment when things go pear-shaped for our clubs and we realise our finals dreams were just that. Dreams.

We make a beeline for the exit after a loss, grinding our gears at the opposition's annoying song and hating their dumb smiling happy faces as they clap along in unison like circus seals. "What a bunch of campaigners," we think to ourselves, even though they are just like us.

We bag the shiit out of young Benny Whatshisface on the wing, playing his 35th game in 4 years. "He's a soft receiver who will never make it," we say to our friends who roll their eyes and say "Yeah, you told us that already." And when he plays a blinder and kicks the winning goal, we punch the air with our fist and cheer louder than anyone else in the stadium.

We bask in the sweet afterglow of victory and feel contented and proud, as though it was our own personal sporting achievement, when the only thing we accomplished all day was swooping on a loose bouncing ball in the MCG carpark after the game and punting it back... off the side of our boot and into someone's BMW.

Last edited:
You do realise that majority of crows fans are Norwood supporters, and vice versa
Where I sit at AFL games is a mix of North, Centrals and West fans with most not giving a crap about SANFL.

We all know the stereotypes: keep your eye on the the red and the blue as they head off to Mt Buller; Black and white are the colours of escaped convicts and missing teeth; Adelaide/Sydney are all about the Chardonnay; yellow and black are the colours of bruises earned after the game. But what have you personally noticed while attending different teams' home games?

From my experiences, Geelong home fans seem quite stubborn and hard to reason with, maybe with something of a small-town mentality.
Adelaide fans love to applaud, particularly when the ball goes out of bounds.
Melbourne fans are very cultured, and easy to get along with.
Hawthorn fans love an excuse to get drunk.
Richmond fans do seem to show a level of malevolence.
Essendon supporters can come across conceited.
Carlton fans don't mind having a joke at their own team's expense.
St Kilda fans feel like the world is against them.
Sydney fans have ADHD: they can't focus on the game for long periods of time, and love to be entertained by other things, like the grunting of a boundary umpire as he throws the ball (admittedly this might have changed since I was there as a kid).

If I've just insulted your club, please don't take it personally, in many cases these are things I've noticed from small subsections of fans.
You have way too high an opinion of Adelaide fans.

So Adelaide fans are non footballing fans that didn’t switch to port and port fans are former Adelaide fans

You really don’t know the history of SA do you, if you think port fans would support Adelaide 1991-1996 that’s a laugh
it's understandable that you supported Adelaide before Port came into existence, and you ditifully switched over in '97. No harm done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back