80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Golf membership due for renewal and I'm tossing up between joining a better course and having to drive each week or staying with my local and being able to drink :beercheers: and walk home if required.

Tough decision.

What better course are you thinking of tho?

Back at my home course today, City GC, and shot 80/68 off the easier Purple tees. The slope was 121 and par 71.
I shot a one over 38 on the back 9. When I finally shake the front 9 mental barrier off my back, my hcp should really start to plummet.

Last edited:

Back at my home course today, City GC, and shot 80/68 off the easier Purple tees. The slope was 121 and par 71.
I shot a one over 38 on the back 9. When I finally shake the front 9 mental barrier off my back, my hcp should really start to plummet.

I have the same issue with the back 9 at home. Went around in 50 last night which is my best effort yet but there were definitely some holes that had me beat before I started

the Back 9 mental illness is real!!! And it sucks doesnt it? Once you get to the 10th you think oh no here we go. Even if you tell yourself not to think about it it still sits in your mind!
The Ocean course screws my head certainly back 9 wise.
Long Island seem to be ok, but there's time

Golf membership due for renewal and I'm tossing up between joining a better course and having to drive each week or staying with my local and being able to drink :beercheers: and walk home if required.

Tough decision.

Yep I'm currently contemplating the same thing, love my local club and would still stay as a full member but seriously considering joining another (further north too for some better weather).

Getting away from Club politics for a couple of weeks a month would be a bonus too

the Back 9 mental illness is real!!! And it sucks doesnt it? Once you get to the 10th you think oh no here we go. Even if you tell yourself not to think about it it still sits in your mind!
The Ocean course screws my head certainly back 9 wise.
Long Island seem to be ok, but there's time

The course on the other side of town (I play Riverside, was a junior member at Mowbray), I have the opposite. I try and survive the front 9 for my big finish around the back (especially holes 13-18, all Par 4s between 280-330 except one 380 metre hole)

Missus has decided we're staying in Glenlyon for the weekend.
Anyone played Hepburn Springs or Kyneton?
Mite try sneak an early Saturday morning comp round
Haven't played either but if you're in the area Trentham is definitely worth a look, lovely course. Few mates of mine are regulars at Kyneton and they say it's a fairly average track. I'm sure biglaycock would have been over there though.

Yep I'm currently contemplating the same thing, love my local club and would still stay as a full member but seriously considering joining another (further north too for some better weather).

Getting away from Club politics for a couple of weeks a month would be a bonus too
How far north are you thinking? When Romsey was underwater last year I was playing quite regularly up at heathcote and the locals there were fantastic. I'm a big fan of that course and their greens too.

Always tough when it comes to politics at smaller clubs like yours and mine I guess. I am always happy to help out when asked but never want to be the guy making decisions! Too many people with conflicting opinions...

Haven't played either but if you're in the area Trentham is definitely worth a look, lovely course. Few mates of mine are regulars at Kyneton and they say it's a fairly average track. I'm sure biglaycock would have been over there though.

How far north are you thinking? When Romsey was underwater last year I was playing quite regularly up at heathcote and the locals there were fantastic. I'm a big fan of that course and their greens too.

Always tough when it comes to politics at smaller clubs like yours and mine I guess. I am always happy to help out when asked but never want to be the guy making decisions! Too many people with conflicting opinions...

Yep have played Kyneton many times and it is a nice basic country course.

Heathcote or Axedale are the main2 that I'm contemplating. Club politics are s**t mate, I'm currently chairing our Greens Committee which sees constant questioning by members including during rounds so it would be nice to get away every now and then

Yep have played Kyneton many times and it is a nice basic country course.

Heathcote or Axedale are the main2 that I'm contemplating. Club politics are s**t mate, I'm currently chairing our Greens Committee which sees constant questioning by members including during rounds so it would be nice to get away every now and then
I've heard good things about Axedale, must get a round in there this summer as I always drive past when I go fishing at Eppalock.

Sounds like a pain in the arse mate. Happy to put their two cents in but I bet none put their hand up when it comes to joining the committee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Failed to complete 9 at peninsulas souf course yesterday due to inclement weather. It kinda cleared up after some refreshments in the temporary clubhouse. Decided I needed more golf so drove nextdoor to long island gc and played a few holes there. lot of casual water around which was disappointing

Little AC had a personal 3 straight tourney wins snapped Sunday. Got an unlucky bounce on a drive that went a bit right and had to take an unplayable on 7th hole. However, the boy who won fired a -2 under 34. That is outstanding.

Told little AC that sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other guy. Plus second place isn't bad anyhow. He had to hold off 2 other boys on the 9th hole to keep solo second and I pointed out that was a pretty good accomplishment given he was grinding out there.

(he didn't want to hear any of that though! ;) )

Little AC had a personal 3 straight tourney wins snapped Sunday. Got an unlucky bounce on a drive that went a bit right and had to take an unplayable on 7th hole. However, the boy who won fired a -2 under 34. That is outstanding.

Told little AC that sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other guy. Plus second place isn't bad anyhow. He had to hold off 2 other boys on the 9th hole to keep solo second and I pointed out that was a pretty good accomplishment given he was grinding out there.

(he didn't want to hear any of that though! ;) )
It's good to see the competitiveness in him. That defines a champion.

It's good to see the competitiveness in him. That defines a champion.

I don't disagree. He just is learning how to harness that to the good. He took a double on 7th hole because he was angry about his predicament. Missed the putt for bogey that was makeable (though not easy)

Carried the 7th hole to number 8 and missed a six footer for birdie, took that to 9 and missed a 4 footer for birdie.

Realistically could have carded 37/38 instead of his +4, 40.

1st 18 hole comp round in forever.

31 points 12/19

Drove it really well
Short game is MIA completely
Putting on cored greens is not much fun either

Hit a 3wood 275metres, still trying to get used to it and control it but promising signs

You bastard

2016 M1 3HL its smooth

Would trade it in for a wedge that was as wonderful

Just hit 120 wedge shots 40-70 metre touch type shots.
Videoed them.

It's not possible to get my hands any further forward ffs. Wedge face so closed its embarrassing.

Hand adjustment, ball adjustment in stance and focusing on following thru and all of a sudden wedges are going nicely in the air again.
1st time I've just hit balls in 10 years i reckon

2016 M1 3HL its smooth

Would trade it in for a wedge that was as wonderful

Just hit 120 wedge shots 40-70 metre touch type shots.
Videoed them.

It's not possible to get my hands any further forward ffs. Wedge face so closed its embarrassing.

Hand adjustment, ball adjustment in stance and focusing on following thru and all of a sudden wedges are going nicely in the air again.
1st time I've just hit balls in 10 years i reckon
Even if you don't practice (like me) it is a good idea to go to the range and hit balls when you buy a new club. There's no point playing comp cold with a new stick in your hand!

Even if you don't practice (like me) it is a good idea to go to the range and hit balls when you buy a new club. There's no point playing comp cold with a new stick in your hand!

My driver and 3wood have never been hit on a range.
Tried em at GCO and purchased them after maybe 20 hits each.
My mizuno wedges have been with me for 3 years, i think in protest at some TM equipment entering the bag they went on strike. Duffs knifes etc.

I'll probably try hit some more wedges 2moro before Sandhurst on Sunday afternoon, maybe 9 holes commonwealth on monday late, 9 holes beaconhills Thursday and then competition of 27 holes around Beaconhills on Friday (walking, god help me).
Two weeks later a 4 day golf weekend
18 holes Tocumwal
18 holes Cobram
18 holes Blackbull
18 holes Yarrawonga (murray)

Gone from basically 4 months of no golf to overload

Remove this Banner Ad

Back