Cups WR​

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
It was basically a dust bowl the last three times i was there, left the course covered in dust.
I could be completely making this up but I have a feeling someone told me a month or so back that they've improved tings significantly when it comes to their fairways. I think someone also told me they got one of the former gisborne greenkeepers over there.

Again I could be wrong, maybe i should go check it out myself given it's pretty local to me.

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I played Albert Park 6 months ago and was shocked at the condition of the fairways then. A few times I hit good drives, only to get down to my ball, and was playing from sand. There was not much grass. Won't be back in a hurry.

Shame really...played it a bit growing up and always enjoyed it.

Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I could be completely making this up but I have a feeling someone told me a month or so back that they've improved tings significantly when it comes to their fairways. I think someone also told me they got one of the former gisborne greenkeepers over there.

Again I could be wrong, maybe i should go check it out myself given it's pretty local to me.
Actually come to think of it, maybe it was biglaycock who was telling me he played Kyneton recently?

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
I played Albert Park 6 months ago and was shocked at the condition of the fairways then. A few times I hit good drives, only to get down to my ball, and was playing from sand. There was not much grass. Won't be back in a hurry.

Shame really...played it a bit growing up and always enjoyed it.

Yep same here, played about a year ago, doesn't sound like it's improved then. Was one of the first courses i played when i moved to Melbourne and was in good nick, obviously something went wrong.

Yep same here, played about a year ago, doesn't sound like it's improved then. Was one of the first courses i played when i moved to Melbourne and was in good nick, obviously something went wrong.
Probably the same issue a lot of clubs are facing, it’s an expensive game and numbers just keep falling as young people don’t play like they once did.
My club has just recently offered cheap temporary memberships and relaxed dress codes for them (seen one bloke playing in thongs!) because you just can’t turn them away anymore.
The trade off was they have to sit through a course etiquette session about all the common stuff divots, pitch repairs, Cart usage and so on. So far so good.
A lot of new faces around and a lot of young ones too.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Probably the same issue a lot of clubs are facing, it’s an expensive game and numbers just keep falling as young people don’t play like they once did.
My club has just recently offered cheap temporary memberships and relaxed dress codes for them (seen one bloke playing in thongs!) because you just can’t turn them away anymore.
The trade off was they have to sit through a course etiquette session about all the common stuff divots, pitch repairs, Cart usage and so on. So far so good.
A lot of new faces around and a lot of young ones too.
I’m spending 5 or 6 grand every year on golf related stuff. It isn’t cheap.

I’m spending 5 or 6 grand every year on golf related stuff. It isn’t cheap.
Yeah I don’t help myself either, bought a new range finder about a month ago and I dropped it in the carpark Wednesday. Not working properly now😩

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah..more than likely some idiot in the local council thought it was a good idea to cut down the number of green keeper staff or something. Leading to a decision not to water fairways so they don't need mowing as often. :drunk:

Actually come to think of it, maybe it was biglaycock who was telling me he played Kyneton recently?

Yep I played at Kyneton about a month ago Pklz and was impressed. I think they still have the same GK as they have had for a while but fairways are now irrigated which has made a massive difference.

Played Gisborne a couple of days later and whilst Gisborne’s fairways were superior their greens were atrocious. Patchy and slow, I would be wanting a lot more for the $1400 membership fee

Yep I played at Kyneton about a month ago Pklz and was impressed. I think they still have the same GK as they have had for a while but fairways are now irrigated which has made a massive difference.

Played Gisborne a couple of days later and whilst Gisborne’s fairways were superior their greens were atrocious. Patchy and slow, I would be wanting a lot more for the $1400 membership fee
Yeah I played Gisborne yesterday and I was shocked by the greens. They weren’t like that in December, they’ve had issues with them for years on and off.

Are you in Launceston? Quamby is a one of the best 9 holers I've ever played.

Yeah it is now, the first time I played it I lost my first drive in a crack in the fairway, got my money back from the honesty box and left

Now, it’s marvellous! Totally changed the layout of the course from when I first attempted to play it

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Gave up a round on Saturday at the national. My mates Syed, entered the comp and came top 10. Played pretty well for himself.

Going to roster a Monday off soon, ay some future golf rounds down there and national on a sunday. Just have to pick the right weather

Back