80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Saw this interesting article on the most difficult courses in Australia.

Anyone played Moonah Links?
Moonah Links Open course has a high difficulty rating because of two things: length (it was built to host Australian Opens - geez that worked out well!) and the fact that it's ludicrously over-bunkered. Torquay Sands is on the list for similar reasons.

For the average bogey golfer the four hardest courses in Australia for me are Cape Wickham, Barnbougle, Ocean Dunes and Lost Farm. As I've said before the penal marram grass which flanks every fairway means it's effectively like playing 18 holes with water on both sides.

National Old would be next on the list followed by Brookwater and Royal Pines (penal green complexes at both).

You know what's funny, I've found some of the higher end better courses easier than some of the local public ones for that reason. A lot of them have big, wide open, carpet like fairways and there's not a stick or stone to be found. Perfect greens, etc. Where I'm playing it's often narrow with overhanging trees or terrible rough and bad lies all over the course. You miss the fairway and you're in bush.

These public courses, where the majority golf, are just far too peasantry to the even be mentioned by the silver spooned golfing elitists.

Moonah Links Open course has a high difficulty rating because of two things: length (it was built to host Australian Opens - geez that worked out well!) and the fact that it's ludicrously over-bunkered. Torquay Sands is on the list for similar reasons.

For the average bogey golfer the four hardest courses in Australia for me are Cape Wickham, Barnbougle, Ocean Dunes and Lost Farm. As I've said before the penal marram grass which flanks every fairway means it's effectively like playing 18 holes with water on both sides.

National Old would be next on the list followed by Brookwater and Royal Pines (penal green complexes at both).

Erm, what’s a penal green complex? Sounds like a prison lol

Never particularly cared for the Open course.
So when you assess those courses , how much consideration do you give for playability for the typical 18 handicapper?
Also do you play off the back tees or normal members tees?

Great leveller this game. 15 holes or so tonight finishing up in pitch black. Did not really feel in control but scored ok. Played 4 bunker shots and all were pretty good so that's a positive...after struggling a bit with them lately. Was a lot better 2 days ago overall though which is frustrating.
GW again?

Lost my swing today. Forgot how to swing and had no idea where the ball was going to go. Was odd. Swinging the club felt totally unnatural.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

55 today after 9 at Malvern Valley. Played a lot better than the other day, I 4 putted on two holes which made the scores a bit worse than I played. Short game otherwise was really solid, driving solid.

Irons were awful, a new miss is I'm chunking everything hitting them fat and losing so much distance with a massive divot behind the ball. Nothing I did could fix it today. Not sure what it is.

55 today after 9 at Malvern Valley. Played a lot better than the other day, I 4 putted on two holes which made the scores a bit worse than I played. Short game otherwise was really solid, driving solid.

Irons were awful, a new miss is I'm chunking everything hitting them fat and losing so much distance with a massive divot behind the ball. Nothing I did could fix it today. Not sure what it is.
I know what it is. It is a campaigner of a game.

Not a totally terrible score so some positives in there.

Course in good condition?

I know what it is. It is a campaigner of a game.

Not a totally terrible score so some positives in there.

Course in good condition?
I quite like it, condition pretty good, some patchy areas of grass and lots of pitch marks on the greens that weren't repaired. About what you'd expect from a public at the end of a Saturday.

I quite like it, condition pretty good, some patchy areas of grass and lots of pitch marks on the greens that weren't repaired. About what you'd expect from a public at the end of a Saturday.
Haven't played it for a while but from memory the green complexes way better than GW public but Kikuyu fairways and rough which I hate as it gets too penal when it grows fast and is not cut. Also it can grab your club around the greens with those little touch shots.

Haven't played it for a while but from memory the green complexes way better than GW public but Kikuyu fairways and rough which I hate as it gets too penal when it grows fast and is not cut. Also it can grab your club around the greens with those little touch shots.
I think its got a bit more variety in its holes than GW, it throws in a few elevations and declines across the course on top of the dog legs.

Lost my ability to score for about 2 weeks. Swing felt good but was hitting everywhere. Figured out it was my grip. For some reason was hitting with a strong grip. Don't know how it worked it's way in. Made my left hand much more neutral and hit a heap of good shots today. Played with a Srixon QStar. Didn't like the ball that much.

I think its got a bit more variety in its holes than GW, it throws in a few elevations and declines across the course on top of the dog legs.
I mow the lawns for a couple of old girls that are pretty much club legends there. One is very old now and on her last legs. The other is still playing there and would be one of the better lady golfers there. Her son plays off 2 and had a hole in one on the 18th.

What do you think of Coolum? I played off the Blues and it was a brute. Blacks weren't to far back but I think worse angles. Apparently Hamilton Island is the toughest course out there. Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back