80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Might head down to the Aus PGA champs on Fri to watch Poults and Scott. Can't seem to find much of an indication as to the entire field + tee times.

Might head down to the Aus PGA champs on Fri to watch Poults and Scott. Can't seem to find much of an indication as to the entire field + tee times.

PoulterNightmare.gif

Played front 9 at Bright this afternoon

Bloody tight little track
Greens slow, slow slow slow
Enjoyable 9 holes
2 birds (including the closest I've come to a hole in 1 - 5inches)
2 bogeys
5 pars

Even par front 9..

Happy golf indeed

Nice - Yeah it is a hell of a lot of fun.
I think I had a 39 around that side one arvo & then when the boys got there the next day I played like a real potato!
Where was the near ace? 3rd or 6th? I can never get the 6th right...

Nice - Yeah it is a hell of a lot of fun.
I think I had a 39 around that side one arvo & then when the boys got there the next day I played like a real potato!
Where was the near ace? 3rd or 6th? I can never get the 6th right...

6th,

150 odd down hill, trees on the right, water over the back, had a very slight with the wind shot

Hit a picture perfect 9 iron that just drew back to the flag

I usually look at the ground and try not to make eye contact

haha. i pretend to be on the phone, except phones are kept in the bag.

1) absolutely, club champs is serious s**t

2) yes if you know them well enuff to have a laugh together

even during a comp round a few awkward "ah man", "unlucky", nervous twitch, half walk to next hole...

Round 2 of my sleep experiment. Went to bed at 10.30 but got woken up by the cat at 4, so not ideal sleep...but it was 3 and a half hours before my tee time so plenty of time to warm up.

Handicap was 1 shot lower than last week. Shot a 41 so my best round ever, beating last week by a shot.

No issues with Varner winning it at all.

Bit conflicted when it comes to the likes of Spieth etc. when they're getting paid for their appearance then also take home the prize money.

I know it's good to have some of the best players in the world out here but the other part of me feels a bit sorry for the local guys who bust there arse just trying to make a living and come the premier events of the year not only are these guys taking a share of the prize money but also costing them coverage on TV and loss of $$$ made through sponsorships etc.

You would want to make sure you are an exceptional golfer before turning pro these days I reckon. It's a tough gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was looking at the breakdown of prize money for the Aus guys on the telecast. Not a lot of money it it at that level. The 2nd placed guy on the order of merit was at $150k or so. Wouldn't be much left over after all the golfing expenses.

Understand the comments but don't the Speith's etc...raise the overall purse by generating money?

Seems to me that Woods had a direct correlation in raising everyone's potential earnings by bringing in big $$.

It does trickle down to rank and file no?

few questions

1. when your playing partner, or someone in your group, as an exceptionally bad hole (i.e. 10+ in stroke round, club championships) do you smile on the inside?
Laugh at him & cartwheel to the next tee...
No?
Maybe that's just me :D

Last champs I played in that was me (getting laughed at) for the first 9 at least ... Embarrassing!

No issues with Varner winning it at all.

Bit conflicted when it comes to the likes of Spieth etc. when they're getting paid for their appearance then also take home the prize money.

I know it's good to have some of the best players in the world out here but the other part of me feels a bit sorry for the local guys who bust there arse just trying to make a living and come the premier events of the year not only are these guys taking a share of the prize money but also costing them coverage on TV and loss of $$$ made through sponsorships etc.

You would want to make sure you are an exceptional golfer before turning pro these days I reckon. It's a tough gig.
Interesting post. Presumably you would have replaced the name Scott with Speith had he won given he was milking the appearance $$ the same way?

If we weren't paying appearance money and getting some genuine world class stars the Aust Open would likely be extinct. I'm guessing the rank and file tour players are eternally grateful these stars bother to travel down and make it into at least some type of respectable event.

Interesting post. Presumably you would have replaced the name Scott with Speith had he won given he was milking the appearance $$ the same way?
Not necessarily. But I don't know enough about the $$$ these guys are making from their appearance fees. Scott has generally has been a very good supporter of Aus Golf though and a part of me would hope its not just about the $$$ for him.

Don't get me wrong though, as a fan and spectator I love seeing some of the best players in the world down here playing.

I just think it's a bit of a kick in the guts for some players who struggle to make a living and then 3 of the past 4 years of the aus open the big names have swiped the field.

Looking at the prize money breakdown you probably have to finish top 50 just to pay for you week in Sydney.

I'm sure you guys probably don't notice it much playing on good tracks all the time (peternorth ;)) but I've been finding it bloody hard to adjust to the changing course conditions at some local courses around here.

My club still has a very good coverage across all fairways but 5 minutes up the road another course I play has dried out in no time. The extra run, hard surfaces and occasional bare patches (even on the fairways) make it bloody hard to adjust when switching between the courses.

I'm sure you guys probably don't notice it much playing on good tracks all the time (peternorth ;)) but I've been finding it bloody hard to adjust to the changing course conditions at some local courses around here.

My club still has a very good coverage across all fairways but 5 minutes up the road another course I play has dried out in no time. The extra run, hard surfaces and occasional bare patches (even on the fairways) make it bloody hard to adjust when switching between the courses.

And to think even when conditions are good between courses golf is hard enough! Whereabouts are you Pklz (how do you pronounce your name? pickles?)? Bare patches would be a prick to play off. Notwithstanding you could damage yourself off it!

BTW Pklz here's my last 2 rounds

Sunday gone played the Ocean Course. Recently scarified the fairways are working hard to get back to top condition. Sandy in parts (which really isnt that bad) and with warmer weather the fairways will come back to life hard soon.

Anyway, Having not played the course for a long time (perhaps earlier in the year) I was a little fragile. Club champs participants told me the second cut of rough has been allowed to grow and prosper, and yes it has. very long. OK.

Front 9 one wipe for 14 points as the driver was working well. Hitting fairways. However the putter was all over the place and without sufficient chipping practice I had to putt onto greens. Was upset with the flat stick as other factors like slightly dewy greens conspired against me.

Back 9 heaps better, putter came to play and everything else was acceptable. Although thinning irons on the tight lies but thankfully no trouble. Bunkers posed no issue either. 4 pars and 5 bogeys meant a nice 24 points. Missed out on 1st by a point.

Today (just now), Moonah Course (Par). Conditions ideal as the wind was simply refreshing and light. Driving again started well and didnt lose a ball at all on the F9. After paring the first par 4 for a + I relaxed. Scored +s on another 2x holes and bogeyed the rest meaning +3 and confidence sky high. Used course knowledge to advantage to earn confidence points. Highlight was a birdie on the 8th par 3, with a 1m putt. Oh and a putt from off the green on the second to secure par for a +. Yummy.

The food truck came around on the 9th, easiest hole. After 2 poor shots post driver ended up with a simple downhill putt for par. Distance maybe 2m tops. Nope. Escaped with a half. But then wipes started coming in. Playing par gives you one less shot to score, and unfortuantely on the wiped holes I only had 1 putt to get something out of it. Not to be. ALso some duffed hybrids dented confidence and added frustration for a -1 B9. Overall +2 not bad, but needed another 5 pluses to top the leaderboard :(

Still, 2 games equating to 38 pts each is nice.

And to think even when conditions are good between courses golf is hard enough! Whereabouts are you Pklz (how do you pronounce your name? pickles?)? Bare patches would be a prick to play off. Notwithstanding you could damage yourself off it!
I'm 30 mins north of the airport at Romsey. Member at Romsey GC which is a goat track but it's completely run by volunteers and it only continues to improve.

And yep Pklz is short for Pickles!

Played in a 4 ball ambrose today. 250 man field. Other 3 in my group were 27, 28 and 15 handicaps. I feel as though having a group of lower handicaps is much more of an advantage.

We shot gross 69 and net 58.625. I had to do a hell of a lot of heavy lifting, especially putting wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back