80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Yeah the course hasn't been tamed as much as some of the other older courses due to those small greens, when its set up for tournaments its a tough beast just checked that Chalmers shot 288 there to win the Australian open, grow the roughs and its normally windy. Did you see the bunkers he put behind the 17th green, I think it was two or three big bunkers but they are situated about 20m past the green, pretty pointless.

Yeah he is a muppet... In the process of butchering another classic golf course in Royal Canberra, RAGC is lucky he only got to the 17th.

Yeah he is a muppet... In the process of butchering another classic golf course in Royal Canberra, RAGC is lucky he only got to the 17th.
You seen the work at Royal Canberra mate or just guessing?

I'd also be interested in knowing what exactly was meant to be "classic" about the old Royal Canberra.

You seen the work at Royal Canberra mate or just guessing?

I'd also be interested in knowing what exactly was meant to be "classic" about the old Royal Canberra.

I haven't seen it first hand but, I'm originally from Canberra and I know a lot of members there who are not impressed. He has taken a lot of doglegs out of some really nice holes and cleared out a lot of trees.

What is classic about the old RCGC is a tight tree lined golf course that put a premium on shot shaping. Straightening doglegs and clearing out trees will not improve that golf course, do you disagree?

I haven't seen it first hand but, I'm originally from Canberra and I know a lot of members there who are not impressed. He has taken a lot of doglegs out of some really nice holes and cleared out a lot of trees.

What is classic about the old RCGC is a tight tree lined golf course that put a premium on shot shaping. Straightening doglegs and clearing out trees will not improve that golf course, do you disagree?
Yep I totally disagree.

Royal Canberra was a first-order shithole. I know, because I have actually played there.
Clayton can only improve it. His plan was voted on by the members and got up easily.

There's another shithole that can only have upside.

its not the greatest, although unfairly maligned. of course doesnt compare to the Old and Moonah courses. it shits on a lot, many, private courses around the state.

strange thing is being the ocean course there are limited views of the ocean.

Royal Canberra was a first-order shithole. I know, because I have actually played there.
Clayton can only improve it. His plan was voted on by the members and got up easily.

Condition at RCGC has been an issue for a long time not the layout. For whatever reason they insist on keeping the course soft and wet and have for the last 10 years or more. Back in the 90's and early 2000's it was mint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going for a round at Mandalay GC this afternoon with a mate. Looks pretty nice, anyone played there before?

How did you find it mate? I thought it had potential, but it wasn't all that interesting off the tee in particular... Lots and lots of drivers off tees and a fair few just straight away type bomb it down there with not much to frame the fairways.

How did you find it mate? I thought it had potential, but it wasn't all that interesting off the tee in particular... Lots and lots of drivers off tees and a fair few just straight away type bomb it down there with not much to frame the fairways.
I enjoyed it. Didn't have time to get a whole round in but played the first 11-12 holes. Plenty of fairway bunkers as mentioned, luckily I was hitting them fairly straight off the tee (a rarity haha). Nice wide fairways but if you do miss the fairway you'll find yourself in plenty of trouble.

Thought it was pretty good value for money overall, we paid about $105 for 2x 18 holes with a cart (and my mate brought a pack of 3 pro v1's) so probably came to about $90 without the balls.

Had a solid couple of pre Xmas rounds of 39 and 40 points which dragged the handicap in a couple.
Gee it helps to sink some putts. Though it does confuse my plan to blow a large amount of $ on a new putter

PURPLE PATCH!!

After having even par around Royal Adelaide first look... I had Christmas in the Wimmera and decided to venture 100km back to Horsham for a hit to get away from the inlaws for a few hours!! Boxing day afternoon it had cooled down to around 21 or 22 deg after being filthy hot on Christmas day. 30-40kph wind was not going to put me off!! Brand new clubhouse after the old one was lost in the 2009 bushfires. The layout is interesting the whole way around some great holes which are highlighted by nice couch fairways and very true greens.

Turned -1 after making a few nice putts and striking it pretty solid!

Flat open terrain saw the wind have a massive affect on shots back to back par 5's 12th and 13 were polar opposites.

12th is 464m - Straight down wind, Really solid drive and a 9 iron followed by a 25 foot eagle putt that was never missing!! nice!!
13th is 520m - Straight back into the teeth... Flushed driver, Flushed 3 wood and I still had 109 left!! in no wind that is just a gripped down PW. But into this thing it was back of the stance 8iron!!

Also 171m to the front pin at 11th par 3 I hit rescue which I would normally hit around 220m...

Really disappointing bogey on the 16th to go from -3 back to -2 followed by a lucky par at 17 after a thined 8 iron into the green that just held onto the back of the green. Smashed driver down the 18th and a nice PW to about 15 feet left a very makable putt... which I made. 68 in those conditions was deadset one of the best rounds I have played.

Horsham golf club a top class country golf course, nice layout, very good surfaces!! If you are in the area... do not miss it!!

Day 1 of 3 consecutive days at National.

Moonah today. 32 points, a couple of pars and a few wipes. putts going in from everywhere, but trouble off the tee at regular intervals. no consistency, and frustrating. got it clicking towards end of the round with the irons, which was a problem last round.

day 2 tomorrow - Old course.

Day 1 of 3 consecutive days at National.

Moonah today. 32 points, a couple of pars and a few wipes. putts going in from everywhere, but trouble off the tee at regular intervals. no consistency, and frustrating. got it clicking towards end of the round with the irons, which was a problem last round.

day 2 tomorrow - Old course.

Will be thinking of you mate, from my desk at work!!

Yeah hope you are out on the links early today!

hi friend,

off before 9. walked the Old course. yes it was warm, but respite received via shade of tee trees at times.

as for the game itself, one par and a poor round equating to 25 pts. continued my putting streak for 3/4 of the game. once that left i had nothing to save me with as irons consistently let me down. drove ok, except for the last where i put one into the trees on left and right. a few holes before that i metally checked out.

oh well, Moonah course tomorrow.

hi friend,

off before 9. walked the Old course. yes it was warm, but respite received via shade of tee trees at times.

as for the game itself, one par and a poor round equating to 25 pts. continued my putting streak for 3/4 of the game. once that left i had nothing to save me with as irons consistently let me down. drove ok, except for the last where i put one into the trees on left and right. a few holes before that i metally checked out.

oh well, Moonah course tomorrow.

I played 9 after work tonight and it was utterly disgraceful. Couldn't find the middle of the club until I hit a 9 iron closeish at the 6th hole but the proceeded to 3 putt it... LOL!!

Good luck tomorrow!! I am working again until 1pm and by then it will be far to hot to even think about venturing out for a game.

I played 9 after work tonight and it was utterly disgraceful. Couldn't find the middle of the club until I hit a 9 iron closeish at the 6th hole but the proceeded to 3 putt it... LOL!!

Good luck tomorrow!! I am working again until 1pm and by then it will be far to hot to even think about venturing out for a game.

currently i have no confidence over irons. its sad. but as you know it can change day to day.

cheers mate. hoping to go through quickly to avoid the heat.

i have survived. the round took longer than expected due to various reasons. a 730 tee time. wind. lots of it. and hot wind. thankfully the sprinklers were out in force. or was it?

on the 2nd par 5, crunched a rare draw drive shapped nicely into the centre. over the ridge it goes yay. get to ridge to see the sprinkler hose adjacent to fairway and thus stopped my ball. wasnt happy.

anyway, yeah it was stinking hot. not surprisinly many pulled out of playing today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back