Last edited:

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Heading to QLD Gold Coast in July, looking to play some golf with my wife, can anyone recommend a beginner friendly club/course to play around the Surfers Paradise area? Would need to hire clubs, preferably don't want a mega expensive course either, or one that's too elitist.

Cheers BF
Good luck with that. Most courses are reasonably expensive. One option might be to drive to Mount Tamborine to play. Otherwise, I’d google Gold Coast courses. Mount Tamborine is about 50 minutes from Surfers Paradise.
http://tamborinemountaingolfclub.com/golf/fees/

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Heading to QLD Gold Coast in July, looking to play some golf with my wife, can anyone recommend a beginner friendly club/course to play around the Surfers Paradise area? Would need to hire clubs, preferably don't want a mega expensive course either, or one that's too elitist.

Cheers BF
Emerald Lakes GC (opposite Metricon Stadium). Ideal for what you're after. About $70 a round.

Also Palm Meadows $80 or Gainsborough Greens $60. All with carts. Cheaper if you walk.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Snuck out early from work last week and equalled my PB. 28 putts will do that.
Snow on the mountain and 9 degrees but I woke up and just knew I had to get out there.
On Saturday had my first lesson with our pro since he started. A little grip change and standing a bit taller and closer. Problem with winter is not enough day to get practice in.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Emerald Lakes GC (opposite Metricon Stadium). Ideal for what you're after. About $70 a round.

Also Palm Meadows $80 or Gainsborough Greens $60. All with carts. Cheaper if you walk.
The only problem is that Emerald Lakes and Palm Meadows have a lot of water. I wouldn’t really call it beginner friendly! :)

Peninsula Kingswood yesterday. Social round. Lost some balls, made some putts.

oh ****, im late to this mornings round!!

Drive calmly.
Pray for green lights.
Golf shoes go on if a red light

Craven Morehead

I really don't care what you think.
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Been way too busy of late for a hit, so was pleased with a 46 off the stick yesterday. Left at least 6 out there with poor short putting.
Oh well.

Drive calmly.
Pray for green lights.
Golf shoes go on if a red light

i always wear golfy shoes so got that covered.

when i say late i should qualify.....i like to be there an hour early. so not late for tee off in any case :D

some rank shots today, shanks, hooks, worm burners with all clubs. but almost had 30 points. greens pristine.

oh peninsula kings wood norf course.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Great golf.

Indeed.
I can only dream of it.

In other news, we had the Ladies Zone Champs here on Sunday.
Some very talented low single figure players competing.

Gross winner was 86 on a Par 70.

Hmm, we must've set the course up a little hard.:D

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
A quick update of my golf since I last updated:
* 26/5 I had 27 points
* 3/6 Played a two person Ambrose and we had 75/66. Finished 25th out of 58. My partner couldn’t get off the tee and I was forced in the end to take some truly awful drives. Even earlier I couldn’t take any of his drives they were that dead.
* 5/6 Played in 50 km/hr winds with a windchill factor of 3 degrees. Shot 99/85. I wasn’t the worst. :)
* 6/6 Reasonably good day and I had 33pts with no washes. Finished 10th out of 76.
* 9/6 Had 38pts and finished 5th. I should have won it. Too many poor shots on the back nine.
* 11/6 31pts. Had 3 washes on the front and had to wash the 18th as I was running late to pick my daughters up from school.

Today is a stroke event.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Shot 83/69 yesterday with two triple bogeys. Par 70. Finished 4th.
The winner on a handicap of 1 shot 66 off the stick. My hat is off to him because I’ll never experience anywhere near this level of golf. My best is 77 and I’ve only been in the 70’s four times at City Golf Club.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’m off to Brisbane on Saturday to play golf in a comp at Wynnum Golf Club. One of my daughters has an exceptional singing talent and is in a State School performance next month called CGen. She has practice on Saturday from 9am to 4:30pm so I volunteered to the wifey to drive her down to Brissy and back. She would only sit in the car and wait.

Next week on Wednesday I’m driving to Beerwah Golf Club, early start, to play golf with a friend who’s in Hervey Bay on holidays. We’re playing in a Blue marker stroke event.

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m off to Brisbane on Saturday to play golf in a comp at Wynnum Golf Club. One of my daughters has an exceptional singing talent and is in a State School performance next month called CGen. She has practice on Saturday from 9am to 4:30pm so I volunteered to the wifey to drive her down to Brissy and back. She would only sit in the car and wait.

Next week on Wednesday I’m driving to Beerwah Golf Club, early start, to play golf with a friend who’s in Hervey Bay on holidays. We’re playing in a Blue marker stroke event.
No Murgon etc?

Craven Morehead

Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My little local course will be a bit busy this weekend.
Muggins here is President, Greenskeeper and general dogs body.

Saturday is a 4BBB local school charity day for hackers.
60+ players and 120 attendees overall. Pig on the spit + BBQ, chipping & putting comps, music etc.

Sunday we host the Zone B Grade Pennants. 60+ players and course must be immaculate.

Most of my members are away being grey Nomads or are too old and phhaaarked to be of much help.

I'm gonna sleep well Sunday night.

Back