-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:

Played Portsea. Really enjoyed it.

Second round with my new clubs. My irons were pretty solid, driver forget about it. Was putting for birdie 6 times, need to work on that part. Loved having a few different wedges too. Has 34 points after being given a handicap of 19, thought a bit stiff. 4 wipes.

Now to go and fix my driver issues.

Played Portsea. Really enjoyed it.

Second round with my new clubs. My irons were pretty solid, driver forget about it. Was putting for birdie 6 times, need to work on that part. Loved having a few different wedges too. Has 34 points after being given a handicap of 19, thought a bit stiff. 4 wipes.

Now to go and fix my driver issues.
Portsea is a cracker...Driving well will definitely help you get more birdie chances.

Havent played flinders for over 10 years i reckon. lovely views, exceptionally windy yesterday. Greens are true, not too difficult but at times couldnt trust the pace.

St Andrews Beach, get along to this place if you can. Aside from domed greens, its an amazingly fun course.

Played the newly re-opened Victoria Monday and Riversdale the day prior.

Vic is really now at the absolute pointy end of the tree of Australian golf. Just outstanding. Three of the previously weakest holes (5,12,17) have been improved considerably and the new pure distinction greens are sublime. Classic Sandbelt golf in every way. Perfect turfgrasses compliment the venue albeit turf conditions will be even better in 12 months. Will be awesome for the 2022 Aus Open.

Riversdale is so disappointing given the course it could be. The whole venue has a lovely feel about it from the time you drive through and it's been improved by a lot of tree and undergrowth clearing. It also has nice undulation. However there are so many poor holes with compromised tee shots, unnatural pine trees everywhere in the line of play and the bunkering is terrible. And it's the only Melbourne course that has PGA Tour-esque wiregrass roughs around the greens. Yuk! Should easily be in the top 100 in Australia but at the moment barely better than somewhere like Warrnambool.

Played the newly re-opened Victoria Monday and Riversdale the day prior.

Vic is really now at the absolute pointy end of the tree of Australian golf. Just outstanding. Three of the previously weakest holes (5,12,17) have been improved considerably and the new pure distinction greens are sublime. Classic Sandbelt golf in every way. Perfect turfgrasses compliment the venue albeit turf conditions will be even better in 12 months. Will be awesome for the 2022 Aus Open.

Riversdale is so disappointing given the course it could be. The whole venue has a lovely feel about it from the time you drive through and it's been improved by a lot of tree and undergrowth clearing. It also has nice undulation. However there are so many poor holes with compromised tee shots, unnatural pine trees everywhere in the line of play and the bunkering is terrible. And it's the only Melbourne course that has PGA Tour-esque wiregrass roughs around the greens. Yuk! Should easily be in the top 100 in Australia but at the moment barely better than somewhere like Warrnambool.

Glad you liked Vic. It’s a great course. I had no played it before occm went in and did their thing so can’t compare to the past. Lovely course.

Never played riversdale despite it being so close to where I am most of the week. By the sounds of it not a bad thing to miss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played Tasmanian Golf Course on Friday. great course and really really enjoyed it. It has nearly been a year since I first started playing and I now have played most of the major courses in Hobart(no Claremont and Royal Hobart yet). I would say that Tasmania was the best. They just used the hills really well and the scenery was very Tasmanian. It was in good condition, but that was expected. I played really well in the first 8 holes and was only +18 on a tough course(21 points on the mscorecard Stableford. Good quick scoring app btw). back ten, I kept on playing stupid shots in the trees and went +42(10)......Lets just say my treework was "ambitious". Gotta work on not losing my head when I get into trouble. Not the first time I played the first 8 holes really well and then completely collapsed. And not a typo, it is always the first 8 holes. I can get a bit "tight" finishing off a good front 9.

Despite that, I still had 2 bogies on long par 5's in that back 9 and I am not a long hitter. I also played my first shot over 200M* ever. It was only in February when I first hit a drive over 150M, so I am happy with that progress.

*might have been gale, downhill and a path assisted 199M drive, but a little rounding up never hurt anyone.

Last edited:
Played Tasmanian Golf Course on Friday. great course and really really enjoyed it. It has nearly been a year since I first started playing and I now have played most of the major courses in Hobart(no Claremont and Royal Hobart yet). I would say that Tasmania was the best. They just used the hills really well and the scenery was very Tasmanian. It was in good condition, but that was expected. I played really well in the first 8 holes and was only +18 on a tough course(21 points on the mscorecard Stableford. Good quick scoring app btw). back ten, I kept on playing stupid shots in the trees and went +42(10)......Lets just say my treework was "ambitious". Gotta work on not losing my head when I get into trouble. Not the first time I played the first 8 holes really well and then completely collapsed. And not a typo, it is always the first 8 holes. I can get a bit "tight" finishing off a good front 9.

Despite that, I still had 2 bogies on long par 5's in that back 9 and I am not a long hitter. I also played my first shot over 200M* ever. It was only in February when I first hit a drive over 150M, so I am happy with that progress.

*might have been gale, downhill and a path assisted 199M drive, but a little rounding up never hurt anyone.
Tasmania GC is a fantastic course. I used to be a member there. Absolutely a course where you need to take your medicine after a bad shot. Just hit it back onto the fairway and hope for a good 3rd. 9 at Tassie I would have in my hardest holes ever played 420m into the prevailing wind (think 16 on Moonah National peternorth).

Tasmania GC is a fantastic course. I used to be a member there. Absolutely a course where you need to take your medicine after a bad shot. Just hit it back onto the fairway and hope for a good 3rd. 9 at Tassie I would have in my hardest holes ever played 420m into the prevailing wind (think 16 on Moonah National peternorth).

Have birdied that *puts on sunnies*

Sparks a good question, what is the hardest individual hole you’ve played? The 10th at Berwick is a bit of a beast. No idea how it’s not the hardest hole on the card. Trouble left, trouble right, trouble long, dog leg, undulating, narrow, intimidating.

Sparks a good question, what is the hardest individual hole you’ve played? The 10th at Berwick is a bit of a beast. No idea how it’s not the hardest hole on the card. Trouble left, trouble right, trouble long, dog leg, undulating, narrow, intimidating.
great question.

The old Ocean course 18th par 4 (483). left to right sloping towards crap and bunkers. If you're in the bunker, impossible to reach the green in 2. Actually pretty impossible anyway. Seems to always play into the wind.

Gunamatta course par 3 (cant remember the hole). 200m uphill par 3. Protected by bunkers cut into the hill. Hit short away from the pots, end up down belowwww in a valley. lol. why is this always into the wind? Go left wide of the green, faced with a slick downhill shot to a green slopes that towards the valley. yeahhhhhhhhHH!!!

Gunamatta course par 3 (cant remember the hole). 200m uphill par 3. Protected by bunkers cut into the hill. Hit short away from the pots, end up down belowwww in a valley. lol. why is this always into the wind? Go left wide of the green, faced with a slick downhill shot to a green slopes that towards the valley. yeahhhhhhhhHH!!!
The 4th? Tough hole alright. Don't know about you i've had to use a 3 wood on that hole most times. If you hit it straight or slightly left and go long avoiding the bunkers, you've avoided disaster and given yourself a chance of a par.That's the best miss. Hit it right of the green and go down the hill...yuck. Hit it left? As you described.

You just can't hit a poor shot. Honestly i'm happy with a four on that hole.

A very intimidating hole.

The 4th? Tough hole alright. Don't know about you i've had to use a 3 wood on that hole most times. If you hit it straight or slightly left and go long avoiding the bunkers, you've avoided disaster and given yourself a chance of a par.That's the best miss. Hit it right of the green and go down the hill...yuck. Hit it left? As you described.

You just can't hit a poor shot. Honestly i'm happy with a four on that hole.

A very intimidating hole.

I think its the 12th.

Are you thinking about the ocean course?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back