80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
On the pace of play, I was behind the slowest public golfers on the weekend.

Playing at Kingston, and putting on the first hole, I noticed a group of 5 men had just driven on the third. When me and my playing partner had finished the 2nd, they had just reached the green on the 3rd. And the 3rd is only a medium length par 4. We had a group of 2 ahead of us, so we had to wait for them. this continued for the next 3 holes!!!! until the guy ahead of us had enough and had words to the group of 5 bimbos to stop holding everyone up and let people go through. by that time, a traffic jam had started to occur.

I am a fast golfer. Me and my normal playing partner can finish a round of 9 in an hour and a half. We always go to our ball, I usually score for both of us on the move. we do take it in turns and are safe but if you aren't near your ball around the green and the other is, then play your shot. I get very impatient when I have to wait for anything. One of the reasons why I dont do comp golf(and the fact I still shi.) Reckon if I played with other people, I would annoy the hell out of them with my lack of etiquette. But it works for our group of friends.

On the pace of play, I was behind the slowest public golfers on the weekend.

Playing at Kingston, and putting on the first hole, I noticed a group of 5 men had just driven on the third. When me and my playing partner had finished the 2nd, they had just reached the green on the 3rd. And the 3rd is only a medium length par 4. We had a group of 2 ahead of us, so we had to wait for them. this continued for the next 3 holes!!!! until the guy ahead of us had enough and had words to the group of 5 bimbos to stop holding everyone up and let people go through. by that time, a traffic jam had started to occur.

I am a fast golfer. Me and my normal playing partner can finish a round of 9 in an hour and a half. We always go to our ball, I usually score for both of us on the move. we do take it in turns and are safe but if you aren't near your ball around the green and the other is, then play your shot. I get very impatient when I have to wait for anything. One of the reasons why I dont do comp golf(and the fact I still shi.) Reckon if I played with other people, I would annoy the hell out of them with my lack of etiquette. But it works for our group of friends.
I agree, although I'm not great, I am a fast golfer. I hit when it's safe, I move to my ball quickly, I tee up early and quickly. I don't take a heap of practice swings or walk every angle to check the greens, I don't coin balls, I keep the flagstick in, I score for all the playing partners. I play provisional balls and I don't spend more than a quick look to search for obvious lost balls. I know I could take longer but I'm a see ball go to ball hit ball golfer. I'm respectful of others and I try and keep the round moving and give people their space on shots.

I'm there for the course, to play my shots and get out. I would love to play comps when I improve a bit and have a handicap but I feel I'd be too frustrated in a group of 4 that does all of the above and takes excessively long to get through a hole.

I agree, although I'm not great, I am a fast golfer. I hit when it's safe, I move to my ball quickly, I tee up early and quickly. I don't take a heap of practice swings or walk every angle to check the greens, I don't coin balls, I keep the flagstick in, I score for all the playing partners. I play provisional balls and I don't spend more than a quick look to search for obvious lost balls. I know I could take longer but I'm a see ball go to ball hit ball golfer. I'm respectful of others and I try and keep the round moving and give people their space on shots.

I'm there for the course, to play my shots and get out. I would love to play comps when I improve a bit and have a handicap but I feel I'd be too frustrated in a group of 4 that does all of the above and takes excessively long to get through a hole.

See ball hit ball is a good approach. Just keep in mind when it comes to marking a ball, people do this for various reasons including ensuring they dont stand on someone elses line. Although it may not affect the other player, it may affect the marker.

Just out of curiosity, how long should a round take?

I'd love to play you guys in Matchplay. I'd just play slowly and watch you all lose your minds, then the match.
If the group in front of you is in turn keeping up with the group Infront of them (like a busy comp day) then IMO there's not much to do than stop and smell the roses, have a chat and relax.
If you're behind a group of slow players who are seemingly oblivious, then make an effort to get to them on the next tee. If you can see they're golfers then ask to hit through, if it's a social 'hacker' group, take control and tell them you're hitting through. Non of this needs to happen with any malice or aggression just a good dose of assertiveness if required.

I'd love to play you guys in Matchplay. I'd just play slowly and watch you all lose your minds, then the match.
If the group in front of you is in turn keeping up with the group Infront of them (like a busy comp day) then IMO there's not much to do than stop and smell the roses, have a chat and relax.
If you're behind a group of slow players who are seemingly oblivious, then make an effort to get to them on the next tee. If you can see they're golfers then ask to hit through, if it's a social 'hacker' group, take control and tell them you're hitting through. Non of this needs to happen with any malice or aggression just a good dose of assertiveness if required.
well said mate

See ball hit ball is a good approach. Just keep in mind when it comes to marking a ball, people do this for various reasons including ensuring they dont stand on someone elses line. Although it may not affect the other player, it may affect the marker.

Just out of curiosity, how long should a round take?
I wouldn't know exactly, would depend on the course, conditions, number of players, who you're playing with, type of round, etc.

I think there is a reasonable amount of time to tee up, take a shot, putt, etc. It's pretty subjective, but you can usually tell when people are taking a bit too long for the circumstances, particularly in reference to the level/type of round.

I think a lot of people see tour players doing things, and sometimes copy that as the norm for every round. Does an amateur in a social round really need to read the greens from multiple different angles for a 4 foot putt on the second hole? How many practice swings does someone really need on each tee, or on every shot? Does standing over the ball for 40 seconds actually give a better result than standing over it for 20?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

94 at Glen Waverley today. 54 on the front. Funny we are talking about slow players had a few in front of us today and then 3 behind us who played fast golf and kept on our tails so I felt i rushed a lot and just played some stupid shots and didn't think my way through. They all dropped off for the back 9 and I hit a 40 which I was really happy with. A few pars and a birder made me leaving very happy knowing I could've had a much better day.
Day off tomorrow so we'll go at it again!

94 at Glen Waverley today. 54 on the front. Funny we are talking about slow players had a few in front of us today and then 3 behind us who played fast golf and kept on our tails so I felt i rushed a lot and just played some stupid shots and didn't think my way through. They all dropped off for the back 9 and I hit a 40 which I was really happy with. A few pars and a birder made me leaving very happy knowing I could've had a much better day.
Jells Park?..course should be in cracking condition after all the rain this Summer

Good course? Is it very narrow or? How busy on weekdays in the late arvo? I'm quite local and keen to play it, especially if I can knock off work early one day.

I wouldn't know exactly, would depend on the course, conditions, number of players, who you're playing with, type of round, etc.

I think there is a reasonable amount of time to tee up, take a shot, putt, etc. It's pretty subjective, but you can usually tell when people are taking a bit too long for the circumstances, particularly in reference to the level/type of round.

I think a lot of people see tour players doing things, and sometimes copy that as the norm for every round. Does an amateur in a social round really need to read the greens from multiple different angles for a 4 foot putt on the second hole?h How many practice swings does someone really need on each tee, or on every shot? Does standing over the ball for 40 seconds actually give a better result than standing over it for 20?

pros do it cause their livelihood depends on it.

a lot of factors come in when it comes to the bolded bits. generally id say no to each of them. those sort of things s**t me too. but i cant think of anyone ive played with who performs those.

Where do you play (course) to come across these sort of behaviours/traits?

Its quicker to take the time to line your ball up correctly and have 1 or 2 putts compared to having a quick glance...not working out the break and having 3 or 4 putts!
Yeah I think the green is where you really need to put the time in because that’s what will make or break you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back