80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
I'm not 100% clear on what a merger between Commonwealth and Yarra Yarra would seek to achieve.

The only merger/acquisition we've had to date has been The National taking over Long Island. The purpose of this was twofold:

1. Give the National members somewhere else to play given Frankston is not as far from Melbourne as Cape Schanck and the fact that LI had low playing numbers
  2. Have an asset in the bank that they could theoretically cash for a small fortune in given it's location

I can see why Commonwealth would eye off YY (zoned Residential). But beyond that not sure what the attraction is in merging two relatively un-financial lowly ranked Tier 2/3 clubs. Do they think a two course offering will make them a membership destination once again up there with KH, Vic, Metro, PK etc?

I guess think of it maybe being like in the hospitality industry (or other industries for that matter) where you have multiple venues under the one umbrella (or ownership) that collectively bring economies of scale, variety and options together, additional membership scope perhaps and maybe de risk to a certain extent as well. Standard business strategy.

Note: cant speak for Commonwealth but YY trades at about $100k prof and has about $1m in cash I believe (stand to be corrected) so I wouldn't call it un-financial. And albeit a bit subjective many tier 2 or tier 3 golf clubs depending on your definition are ranked in the top 50 courses in Australia e.g. Woodlands 19th Commonwealth 28th YY around 50 and hoping once the Tom Doak renovations are complete to get into the top 30. They also have often, the best pennant teams some of them in the state. I'm a member at both YY and PK and I wouldn't be calling PK a membership destination necessarily, not me personally anyway.

It's very good and quite underrated.

However like many other clubs in that league they are broke (have already sold off a parcel of land and re-routed part of the course) so they can't realise the true potential of the course/property due to an inabilty to invest in the facility.

To answer your question it would be tier 5 (with Spring Valley and Long Island).

Tier 3 is Commonwealth, Yarra, Woodlands. Tier 4 is Huntingdale.
It used to be referred to as the Jewish course from memory where visitors could only play Friday arvo

It used to be referred to as the Jewish course from memory where visitors could only play Friday arvo
Yep and those days are long gone!

Was setup basically by the Jewish community in response to the fact that their brethren traditionally could not get into the Tier 1 Melbourne clubs.

Dunno honestly. In fact I think the tiering thing is just an informal sort of thing within the industry which probably changes a lot as well and differs between who you ask. Not any real credence to it.

like golf course rankings totally subjective

And albeit a bit subjective many tier 2 or tier 3 golf clubs depending on your definition are ranked in the top 50 courses in Australia e.g. Woodlands 19th Commonwealth 28th YY around 50 and hoping once the Tom Doak renovations are complete to get into the top 30.
You are dead right. The "Tiering" is a matter really of personal opinion.

My sandbelt tiers are as follows:

1: RM, KH, VGC, Metro
2: PK
3: CGC, YY, Woodlands
4: Huntingdale
5: Cranbourne, Spring Valley, Long Island

I personally don't rank shitholes like Patterson River or Southern but if you really wanted to they would be about tier 11.

I personally don't rank shitholes like Patterson River or Southern but if you really wanted to they would be about tier 11.

Heh heh heh. Not a fan of Huntingdale ?

tell us what you really think haha

Average and average. Last time I was at Sandhurst which I have to admit was about 6 years ago, it was in sh**t condition. Has a bit of the Sanctuary Lakes about it for mine. It might be better now, I dunno.

Well I cant comment, so rely on thoughts from posters like yourself etc. I have a friend who's a member says its a good course. ok.

Well I cant comment, so rely on thoughts from posters like yourself etc. I have a friend who's a member says its a good course. ok.

I gotta go back to the Richmond golf thread. Can’t handle switching and posting across two different golf threads. How did I even end up here ? 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hah hah hah. Ok. Maybe I’ll stay here and you and I can beat up on all these place getters. 😁
tumblr_mczjzjgpYW1qg52ruo1_r1_500.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back