80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Peninsula Kingswood today. Not an enjoyable day in terms of scoring. Shithouse back 9. Company was really interesting. One older chap chatting happily with one bloke in the group (never met before). I introduced myself, said hi, continued on with other bloke. ok. throughout the round didnt engage, only spoke when i tried to break down the walls. not an overly engaging person.

nice day though to lose balls

Peninsula Kingswood today. Not an enjoyable day in terms of scoring. Shithouse back 9. Company was really interesting. One older chap chatting happily with one bloke in the group (never met before). I introduced myself, said hi, continued on with other bloke. ok. throughout the round didnt engage, only spoke when i tried to break down the walls. not an overly engaging person.

nice day though to lose balls
You certainly meet all sorts of characters on the golf course. Some are great company, others you hope you never play with again.

46 this arvo with my mate who shot a really impressive 40. Missed a few putts by a hair. Made some bad drives. Duffed a couple of shots. But overall things are moving forward. The focus of playing more on course over being a range rat is working I feel. Shudder to think the amount of money I’ve spent and back pain suffered on hit and scrape, hit and scrape.

Anyone else find a weak correlation between time on the range v scores?

Albert Park last night after work. Got in 18 with my mate.

She ain't tough, long or unforgiving but still struck some balls nicely.

Career low 81 and 45 points 😂 I'm not reading too much into it. Hopefully this is the only time I mention my career low on that course and can beat it on a more tougher course.

Putted and chipped really well though.

Albert Park last night after work. Got in 18 with my mate.

She ain't tough, long or unforgiving but still struck some balls nicely.

Career low 81 and 45 points 😂 I'm not reading too much into it. Hopefully this is the only time I mention my career low on that course and can beat it on a more tougher course.

Putted and chipped really well though.
A score is a score, doesn't matter the course. Well done.

Anyone else find a weak correlation between time on the range v scores?
The range for ranges sake is better than not playing at all IMO. I use the range to get my groove back (turn the tide so to speak). It's important for me to get 'back into form' when I'm playing badly (like now). The range is important to find my swing again. I'll spend a few hours on the range (we have a 120m practice hole which is awesome) where I'll hit 7/8/9 irons until I'm sweet again. Maybe a total of an hour of each over a week. I don't really hit driver on the practice range (I sometimes will, obviously), but I will if I have a small bucket of balls to warm up before a round. In my experience, the only way to get out of a rut is to pound balls until you get your swing back, it's a numbers game basically. You can obviously hit a lot more balls on the range than you can on the course. To me, that's the value of the range. But once your tide has turned, get out on the course and leave the range alone.
Chipping and putting should be practiced forever, there's never a 'too much' for that.

Well hurry up and catch up to the group in front. Stop taking 10 practice swings and no more lining up the ball for putts. :cool: :cool: . In all seriousness I want to know your thoughts on the course later.
Haha waiting on each tee for 5+ minutes every hole. Drives you nuts after a while. I never played the course before it was redone but I thought it was superb. I think it’s a par 65. No par 5s but a ton of fun little holes. I’ve played plenty worse courses for $40 green fees that’s for sure.

As for my game, started off really well. In fact barely missed a fairway all day. That said I’ve really wound things back. Hitting driver like an old man and would have lost a heap of distance on average but golf is a lot more fun from the fairway. Didn’t score well as I had a few horror holes and bunkers are my weakness given my home course has none lol. But still the most positive round of golf I’ve played since feb probably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The range for ranges sake is better than not playing at all IMO. I use the range to get my groove back (turn the tide so to speak). It's important for me to get 'back into form' when I'm playing badly (like now). The range is important to find my swing again. I'll spend a few hours on the range (we have a 120m practice hole which is awesome) where I'll hit 7/8/9 irons until I'm sweet again. Maybe a total of an hour of each over a week. I don't really hit driver on the practice range (I sometimes will, obviously), but I will if I have a small bucket of balls to warm up before a round. In my experience, the only way to get out of a rut is to pound balls until you get your swing back, it's a numbers game basically. You can obviously hit a lot more balls on the range than you can on the course. To me, that's the value of the range. But once your tide has turned, get out on the course and leave the range alone.
Chipping and putting should be practiced forever, there's never a 'too much' for that.

I've found out the hard way that the range generally does more harm for me than good. I can be hitting the ball well, but the combination of fatigue and over-analysing will eventually lead to bad shots = less of confidence. When hitting poorly, the range just further ingrains bad habit, leads to over analysis and things get worse. The only range hitting I do now is either a few balls to warm up, or playing Toptracer virtual golf at Whaleback. Ill spend more time at the chipping area instead. I have to be playing something resembling actual golf or else I do my own head in. Hitting balls over and over again with the same club off the same perfect lie does not relate at all to actual golf with time between shots, different clubs, different lies, different conditions, different levels of risk etc.

Before if I was hitting poorly Id try find my game again on the range hitting thousands of balls. Now I'll save myself time and pain and get a lesson from my local pro that I trust.

While I'm talking Toptracer - anyone play it? Keen on a bigfooty virtual golf comp? We could set a course, tees and play for the best score, post photos of scores from the leaderboard. Ive set some scores at various virtual courses if you want to try and beat me. :)

I've found out the hard way that the range generally does more harm for me than good. I can be hitting the ball well, but the combination of fatigue and over-analysing will eventually lead to bad shots = less of confidence. When hitting poorly, the range just further ingrains bad habit, leads to over analysis and things get worse. The only range hitting I do now is either a few balls to warm up, or playing Toptracer virtual golf at Whaleback. Ill spend more time at the chipping area instead. I have to be playing something resembling actual golf or else I do my own head in. Hitting balls over and over again with the same club off the same perfect lie does not relate at all to actual golf with time between shots, different clubs, different lies, different conditions, different levels of risk etc.

Before if I was hitting poorly Id try find my game again on the range hitting thousands of balls. Now I'll save myself time and pain and get a lesson from my local pro that I trust.

While I'm talking Toptracer - anyone play it? Keen on a bigfooty virtual golf comp? We could set a course, tees and play for the best score, post photos of scores from the leaderboard. Ive set some scores at various virtual courses if you want to try and beat me. :)
When you get into that mindless hitting at a range...try picturing the holes on the course you play on. Hit Driver...then if it was crap hit a punch 7 (out of the trees) and then a full 8 iron. If it was a good drive hit a 5 iron next.....then maybe a chip. Then move on to the next hole if you get my drift. Also walk behind the ball and line up properly..maybe picking different targets each time.

When you get into that mindless hitting at a range...try picturing the holes on the course you play on. Hit Driver...then if it was crap hit a punch 7 (out of the trees) and then a full 8 iron. If it was a good drive hit a 5 iron next.....then maybe a chip. Then move on to the next hole if you get my drift. Also walk behind the ball and line up properly..maybe picking different targets each time.
range form is always great. Multiple tour tournament winner here.

good idea about playing holes too. Usually my par 5 starts like this

- driver
- provisional shot (driver)
- hack out of tough
- hard slice (oob)
- aggressive hybrid
- pitch

pick up

range form is always great. Multiple tour tournament winner here.

good idea about playing holes too. Usually my par 5 starts like this

- driver
- provisional shot (driver)
- hack out of tough
- hard slice (oob)
- aggressive hybrid
- pitch

pick up
How many bottles of red are you up to this evening? :laughing:

Yeah that's pretty much how i see it. I've always found practicing by playing 9 holes by myself, hitting another ball if the first wasn't good and especially chipping a few balls around greens was more beneficial,kept me focused and was just a more enjoyable way of practicing.

Second spin round Gunnamatta (with Clayts this time) this afternoon. I'm getting closer to completing the full 18 - this time the siren went off after we hit our drives down the last!

What a course - even better the second time round and in the extremely torrid weather served up today.

Second spin round Gunnamatta (with Clayts this time) this afternoon. I'm getting closer to completing the full 18 - this time the siren went off after we hit our drives down the last!

What a course - even better the second time round and in the extremely torrid weather served up today.
Pressy where you a member again?

what did you like about the course?

Bit breezy out there today wasn't it. Nothing beats hitting driver on the 11th straight into a howler.

Scored 40 at Virginia in the heat. Wind picked up on the back 9, we were standing on the tee box of a 400m par 4 with the wind howling directly in our faces and i said "nobody's going to par this hole today". I ended up lipping out my par putt from about 10m.

Just one of those days where everything clicked. Pured most of my irons, only lost a few shots to chips ending up in the +10m range instead of getting them closer. Only one three putt, on a par three where I won NTP 😅

Remove this Banner Ad

Back