80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
98 at Kwinana today with the social club. Still good enough to get me second on count back. Surprisingly beaut course

Last 5 rounds have been a backward step after my 96 effort

I went 50 around 9 at Riverside, which isn’t so bad for me, then followed with 57, 56, 55, & 56

Still enjoying it though 😅

Got my official GA handicap today after submitting 3 cards and I’m s**t scared by it. It seems way too low. Submitted a 99, 101 and a 92 (playing completely lights out) and they’ve given me a 13. The course is pretty tough (132/73) but still it doesn’t seem right. I’ve literally got zero chance of winning anything. To quote the club secretary ‘you’ll have to earn it’.

Completely opposite to my social club which ‘works out’ a handicap based on score in your first round with them. Filled in and played a tough course mid last year (Joondalup) when I was s**t and made 106. They gave me a 34 handicap for the start of this year and the last two tournaments I’ve come first by miles and equal first (second on count back) still shooting shitty scores of 102 and 98.

Got my official GA handicap today after submitting 3 cards and I’m sh*t scared by it. It seems way too low. Submitted a 99, 101 and a 92 (playing completely lights out) and they’ve given me a 13. The course is pretty tough (132/73) but still it doesn’t seem right. I’ve literally got zero chance of winning anything. To quote the club secretary ‘you’ll have to earn it’.

Completely opposite to my social club which ‘works out’ a handicap based on score in your first round with them. Filled in and played a tough course mid last year (Joondalup) when I was sh*t and made 106. They gave me a 34 handicap for the start of this year and the last two tournaments I’ve come first by miles and equal first (second on count back) still shooting shitty scores of 102 and 98.
Did you end up going with Future Golf?

Look your hc is too low probably, they always say it starts low though and drifts out. My lowest handicap was my first one and its drifted a few points since.

After a few rounds it will probably more accurately reflect your ability, but yeh if you're playing Stableford your gonna have a hard time winning until it drifts.

Unless you are that good ;)

Did you end up going with Future Golf?

Look your hc is too low probably, they always say it starts low though and drifts out. My lowest handicap was my first one and its drifted a few points since.

After a few rounds it will probably more accurately reflect your ability, but yeh if you're playing Stableford your gonna have a hard time winning until it drifts.

Unless you are that good ;)

Nah mate, I’ve gone with a private club. Loving it. It’s very close to work. Sorry I didn’t reply to your PM - only recently read it. I thought about future golf but I like belonging to one local club where I can practice regularly too.

I was always under the general impression that handicap drops quickly, and it takes ages for it to blow out?

Nah mate, I’ve gone with a private club. Loving it. It’s very close to work. Sorry I didn’t reply to your PM - only recently read it. I thought about future golf but I like belonging to one local club where I can practice regularly too.

I was always under the general impression that handicap drops quickly, and it takes ages for it to blow out?

Here’s a table that might help.

8C31C6C7-1465-4D06-876E-A62E173A2D51.jpeg

As hard as it is try to ignore the number. You’ll play stableford most likely so just play each hole.
After 6 rounds or so it will start to even out.

In my opinion it is a really good system and while not perfect, it is close to fair.

At the moment on the inconsistent scale (everyone is on it) you’re on the higher end because you’re new. Handicap is designed to allow for this extra inconsistency.
So yes probably too high, but won’t be forever. Sucks for the next few rounds, but go play 20 rounds in 20 days.

Four birdies in one round for the first time today.
Not a word of a lie...and BF's juss will vouch....5 birdies today!!!!!!!!!!

(5 in our group of 3 players....3 for me, 1 for juss and 1 for scrappy jnr)

9 over 77 (4 over last 2 holes unfortunately). Highlight of the day was juss's birdie on the 392m 5th.....number 1 ranked hole off the very back. Great drive and good approach and an awesome 20m chip and run into the hole for birdie!

Not a word of a lie...and BF's juss will vouch....5 birdies today!!!!!!!!!!

(5 in our group of 3 players....3 for me, 1 for juss and 1 for scrappy jnr)

9 over 77 (4 over last 2 holes unfortunately). Highlight of the day was juss's birdie on the 392m 5th.....number 1 ranked hole off the very back. Great drive and good approach and an awesome 20m chip and run into the hole for birdie!
Can confirm the spread of birds.

Played probably my best ever hole with a nearly 400m par 4 birdie with a 9 iron chip from off the green that rolled in beautifully, and some of my worst ever shots on the same day. Real mixed bag! Scrappy played a great round, only a bit of bad luck on the second last hole cost it from being a really, really good round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As hard as it is try to ignore the number. You’ll play stableford most likely so just play each hole.
After 6 rounds or so it will start to even out.

In my opinion it is a really good system and while not perfect, it is close to fair.

At the moment on the inconsistent scale (everyone is on it) you’re on the higher end because you’re new. Handicap is designed to allow for this extra inconsistency.
So yes probably too high, but won’t be forever. Sucks for the next few rounds, but go play 20 rounds in 20 days.

Guess I’m worried about embarrassing myself - rocking up on comp day and walking off with like 10 points with everyone thinking “how is his handicap so low?”

Guess I’m worried about embarrassing myself - rocking up on comp day and walking off with like 10 points with everyone thinking “how is his handicap so low?”
TBH no one will really care. Don't stress. If someone else came in with 10 points it wouldn't worry you. It's all good.

Don’t stress. My mate had 8 points the other week. Then he had 41 last week once the handicap evened out a bit.

Hit a 47 at Burnley this morning, getting around before work. Nothing worse than a six. Just playing far more consistently. A couple more rounds of nine in the coming days and a lesson on Saturday. Slowly making progress..

TBH no one will really care. Don't stress. If someone else came in with 10 points it wouldn't worry you. It's all good.

Yep no one cares. people are too worried about their own game

Saw this interesting article on the most difficult courses in Australia.

Anyone played Moonah Links?

Can confirm Joondalup is tough over here. The greens in particular are real scary. But it has wide fairways. I rate my new home course Hartfield as not far behind.

But to be honest I reckon Hillview is the toughest course I’ve played. It’s a 27 hole public course that’s only really difficult because it’s kept so poorly kept. Sandy, dodgy lies - even on the fairway. Duckshit all over the greens. Hard as concrete bunkers. Overhanging trees, long grass, sticks. Would actually like to follow a pro around there and see how they go.

Last edited:

Can confirm Joondalup is tough over here. The greens in particular are real scary. But it has wide fairways. I rate my new home course Hartfield as not far behind.

But to be honest I reckon Hillview is the toughest course I’ve played. It’s a 27 hole public course that’s only really difficult because it’s kept so poorly kept. Sandy, dodgy lies - even on the fairway. Duckshit all over the greens. Hard as concrete bunkers. Overhanging trees, long grass, sticks. Would actually like to follow a pro around there and see how they go.
You know what's funny, I've found some of the higher end better courses easier than some of the local public ones for that reason. A lot of them have big, wide open, carpet like fairways and there's not a stick or stone to be found. Perfect greens, etc. Where I'm playing it's often narrow with overhanging trees or terrible rough and bad lies all over the course. You miss the fairway and you're in bush.

Moonah is terrific. When the wind is up, almost impossible to get around.

The rough is like a jungle and some of the par fours are rather lengthy.

Still not as hard as St Andrews Beach.

A few times. I’ve never played off of the blacks. They’re in another post code. Peter Thompson is not my favourite course designer. He’s a bit of a masochist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back