-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Erm, what’s a penal green complex? Sounds like a prison lol
Think of a pushed up green with sharp drop offs both sides that mean if you miss a shot either side of green by 1m you ricochet 45 degrees sideways intro whatever's over there (eg water).

Never particularly cared for the Open course.
So when you assess those courses , how much consideration do you give for playability for the typical 18 handicapper?
Also do you play off the back tees or normal members tees?
Playability for average player is absolutely vital. Check our Royal Melbourne West - a classic example of "hard birdie, easy bogey" course. Exquisitely designed to provide a challenge for all levels but remain eminently playable.

Given these are magazine ratings and 99.5% of the readers will never play a single round voluntarily off the blacks I always assess from the regular tees.

What do you think of Coolum? I played off the Blues and it was a brute. Blacks weren't to far back but I think worse angles. Apparently Hamilton Island is the toughest course out there. Thoughts?
Coolum used to be quite good until it fell into disrepair. I never thought it was as tricked up as somewhere like Brookwater.

I have not played Hamilton Island but know several who have and apparently it's impossible and the average punter no chance. Also I believe it's unwalkable. So I won't be rushing to get there!

Played Sandringham again yesterday (back 9).

Quite slow at 10am on a Sunday but the course is heaps of fun to play. So many interesting shots. You would not get bored playing there regularly.
Do you rate it up there with a few of the other sandbelt courses or still a little off the pace?

Do you rate it up there with a few of the other sandbelt courses or still a little off the pace?
Still a fair way off the pace. It's still growing in to a large extent and is very short. The sandbelt is a fairly tough crowd but this gives people a feel for the experience.

It would be in the mix for Aust top 100 this year I think.

Sandringham is brilliant. It's everything a municipal course should be and we should really consider ourselves lucky to have something like that here in Melbourne.

It's short but a ton of fun, well maintained but still affordable. If you're after a true test of golf then it's probably not going to satisfy you but as Pres said, I doubt you would get bored playing there regularly.

Only thing that really sucks about it is that being so popular you're going to have to expect it to be a very slow round.

Still a fair way off the pace. It's still growing in to a large extent and is very short. The sandbelt is a fairly tough crowd but this gives people a feel for the experience.

It would be in the mix for Aust top 100 this year I think.
Good to have a course like that amongst some of the more exclusive clubs.

On another note The National have announced their intentions to put a bit of work into Long Island. Great news that they're not going to flog it off to developers.
I think it has the bones of an excellent track and even just a bit of chainsaw work could narrow the gap to some of the more renowned sandbelt courses.

Good to have a course like that amongst some of the more exclusive clubs.

On another note The National have announced their intentions to put a bit of work into Long Island. Great news that they're not going to flog it off to developers.
I think it has the bones of an excellent track and even just a bit of chainsaw work could narrow the gap to some of the more renowned sandbelt courses.
Great news! Will be terrific when done. Terribly underrated course - even in it's current configuration.

Golf. Where you can play unbelievably bad one day and unbelievably good in another. Or in my case, in the same round of 18.

Front nine at Claremont is tough. A couple of long 400M par 4s and you play along the Derwent River most of the time with no cover from the wind. But shooting an (unofficial) 10 point, 62 is a bit over the top. The best score in that was a double bogey. Had a chance for a Par at one hole but that ended up as being a 4-putt disgrace. One-shot, I smashed the ball at nearly a 90-degree angle of where I was aiming and about 30-40M into the Derwent. hint for future rounds, hitting the rounded bit of a Hybrid is not a smart idea and should be avoided.

Back 9, completely different story. Got a 22 point, 45, including a birdie from 80M out(longest hole out yet). I re-learned how to putt and figured out(after about 14 holes) that the Greens were super quick. And I didn't lose a ball.

Sigh, what a waste of a good score on a bad score. I have improved a lot in the last 6 months. Most of my best scores for my (unofficial) handicap of 31 come from the last 10 rounds.

Golf. Where you can play unbelievably bad one day and unbelievably good in another. Or in my case, in the same round of 18.

Front nine at Claremont is tough. A couple of long 400M par 4s and you play along the Derwent River most of the time with no cover from the wind. But shooting an (unofficial) 10 point, 62 is a bit over the top. The best score in that was a double bogey. Had a chance for a Par at one hole but that ended up as being a 4-putt disgrace. One-shot, I smashed the ball at nearly a 90-degree angle of where I was aiming and about 30-40M into the Derwent. hint for future rounds, hitting the rounded bit of a Hybrid is not a smart idea and should be avoided.

Back 9, completely different story. Got a 22 point, 45, including a birdie from 80M out(longest hole out yet). I re-learned how to putt and figured out(after about 14 holes) that the Greens were super quick. And I didn't lose a ball.

Sigh, what a waste of a good score on a bad score. I have improved a lot in the last 6 months. Most of my best scores for my (unofficial) handicap of 31 come from the last 10 rounds.

Positives galore mate!!

400m par 4....long? Wedge, wedge, wedge, wedge (hole out). Par.

Profit.

It’s the golfing tide at its best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

14 over this evening at GW public. Beaten by my brother by 4 shots. How the f%$K do you shoot 10 over off the stick when you top at least 5 tee shots! Fuming haha!
A topped drive can be a very decent shot to put it straight 100-150m up the fairway

Had a game on Monday with a bloke who is a bit of a Legend down here.
He's never lost a Pennant game on his home course.
All wrist, pure talent, divots the size of beaver pelts and can hit every shot in the book.
Doesn't practice.
I could be playing him if I get called up for Pennant.😞
Type of player you want to play though. Nothing to lose.

Had a game on Monday with a bloke who is a bit of a Legend down here.
He's never lost a Pennant game on his home course.
All wrist, pure talent, divots the size of beaver pelts and can hit every shot in the book.
Doesn't practice.
I could be playing him if I get called up for Pennant.
Type of player you want to play though. Nothing to lose.

Is Pennant always match play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back