-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Best sledge you’ve heard?

My mate is an absolute shocker for ‘great tempo with your chips’
A kid that boarded with us back in the day was trying to make it as a pro...was playing in the final pair of the club championships at Riversdale. He was up against Sam Newman haha. Fair to say that Sam got into his head and beat him!

First proper handicap comp on Sunday. Stableford format. Nervous, but my mate from another club is joining me.

Is it normal to just pick up your ball when you ‘wipe’ a hole? Or do most people just play it out?

First proper handicap comp on Sunday. Stableford format. Nervous, but my mate from another club is joining me.

Is it normal to just pick up your ball when you ‘wipe’ a hole? Or do most people just play it out?
Always pick up if out

Always

Shows you value pace of play

There's a panel that will select the players. Team captains etc. So yes. Although there are good Matchplay players who may play better than their handicap.
For the lowest (higher handicap) divisions how good does one have to be to play pennant? Are we talking even the worst divisions are playing off 5 or is it built with grades that allow more people a realistic chance to get in?

For the lowest (higher handicap) divisions how good does one have to be to play pennant? Are we talking even the worst divisions are playing off 5 or is it built with grades that allow more people a realistic chance to get in?
It depends a bit on how many teams a club enters and how many players ate the club. There’s 7 in a team. So 2 teams means the 14 best players.
We have maybe 6 or 7 teams so it goes to 42 players needed.
We would have some higher handicappers in the higher grades, most would be single figures or 10-12 range. Our highest handicap in Div 1&2 is 1, so we’ve got 13 blokes off scratch or better.

Moonah Links Open course has a high difficulty rating because of two things: length (it was built to host Australian Opens - geez that worked out well!) and the fact that it's ludicrously over-bunkered. Torquay Sands is on the list for similar reasons.

For the average bogey golfer the four hardest courses in Australia for me are Cape Wickham, Barnbougle, Ocean Dunes and Lost Farm. As I've said before the penal marram grass which flanks every fairway means it's effectively like playing 18 holes with water on both sides.

National Old would be next on the list followed by Brookwater and Royal Pines (penal green complexes at both).
National Old and Dunes off the Tombstone (Black) Tees, toughest on the Peninsula imo.

Played Gunnamatta at National for 2nd time last week. Enjoyed it even more 2nd time around.
Not to difficult, every hole interesting, excellent condition.
Better than St Andrews Beach imo.
Dunes still my fav on the Peninsula though.

Did you play the Ocean course before?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you play the Ocean course before?
No, only Moonah.
Don’t like the Peter Thomson courses, reckon the Open at Moonah Links is very average and lacks character.
Good mates with the Super at the National, he gave me tour of the Gunnamatta course as it was being rebuilt and pointed out the changes.
Significant improvements over the original Ocean course is the feedback I’ve been given.

No, only Moonah.
Don’t like the Peter Thomson courses, reckon the Open at Moonah Links is very average and lacks character.
Good mates with the Super at the National, he gave me tour of the Gunnamatta course as it was being rebuilt and pointed out the changes.
Significant improvements over the original Ocean course is the feedback I’ve been given.
It is true, imporvements. i didnt mind ocean, played it a lot when i first joined. but identified and able to see how others did not.

Horrific first comp today. 17 points. Wasn’t even fun. My handicap is too low. Oh well, next week.
Congrats on getting out there! Got all week to plan for the next round now.

I had 5 points after 6 holes, was striking fairly well, in fact too well and cleared the green twice.

Clubbed down and adjusted and ended with 33.

Horrific first comp today. 17 points. Wasn’t even fun. My handicap is too low. Oh well, next week.
Just play

Your mindset destroyed your round based on the handicap you had.

Just play and have fun

We all have good and bad scores

No, only Moonah.
Gunnamatta a total cracker of a course.

Was that a Future Golf comp or from another club? Whats the competition experience like? I'm keen to give it a crack one day but would find it intimidating by myself.

I'm also waiting till I'm a bit more consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back