-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
The National

Old course: The original course (1988). Trent Jones Jr designed. An adventurous adventure rolling through the dunes of cape shanck. Not a long course, just under 6000m, fairways are generous with treelined fairways. Once you're in it, you're reloading. Rolling fairways make golf fun, with undulations offering vantage points of the fingal region. You gotta learn how to hit different shots as the ball is rarely on flat ground. Greens are large. The wind plays a factor. Accuracy and hitting greens in the right spot (can be some 20m away) to get the best of any hole. Driver not always needed. My fave course.

Moonah course: Greg Norman designed. Long, well just over 6100m. Need precision around the greens as they are exposed to the wind which can result in on the green off the green. A fun course which allows you to open your shoulders and have a swing. Fairways wide enough with enough rough to capture errant balls. If you're in it, you're probably in a small crevice. The final 5 holes usually plays into a prevailing wind. 16 is a roller coaster into the wind some 420+m par 4. Hitting to a ridge, come up short and watch the ball roll back towards you. Index is lower than you think. A good day in the office.

Gunamatta course: Tom Doak brought his skills to the former Ocean course which members by and large avoided placing stress on the other 2. What was an up and down course now takes you up, down and around. Views of the ocean are not in play, which was barely the case on the Ocean would you believe. Fairways so wide you can land a plane on it. Members love it cause of this. A linksy course where protection are the tricky greens (pure distinction hybrid). Members remember the old layout with. effectively all reused in some capacity. Most exposed to the wind.

Peninsula Kingswood

This marks the culmination of years of work in the merger of Peninsula and Kingswood clubs.

North course: Amazing. Scenes, undulations and a real challenge. Tightness requires accuracy off the tee which sets you up for the ultimate shot into the green. The word sandbelt works here with sharp edges of bunkering a real feature around the greens. Slick greens provides thoughts on downhill approaches for the discerning player. I feel like if Im hitting the ball accurately the game here is easy. Then it stops and ends up being a day in the sand. 5968m. First three holes are a blast, especially the second (par 3) hugging the edge of the property. Must putt well here.

South course: The more forgiving course, but feels longer than the north. BUT its 5958. Wider and more generous fairways it seems. The creed which meanders through the property provides water and something to avoid. Like the north you gotta putt well on the pure distinction greens. Accurate iron play is definitely encouraged. Back to back par 5s 14-15th. The stretch of holes 11-14 are an excellent way to finish off a working day with ease of entry and exit.
Nice descriptions Peter North but you have managed to forget one of your home courses!

Long Island:
An underrated sandbelt style course bordering Peninsula Kingswood on largely flat ground with some gentle movement in certain parts of the property. Some excellent holes of which 7-9 are the highlight with the Hogs Back 8th being one of the more unique short 4's in Melbourne. The greens are perhaps the strength of the course often having large amounts of tilt and preferring shots from certain parts of the fairway. Bunkers are aplenty here both green side and along fairways and are at the forefront of golfers minds when approaching greens. There is reasonable width on offer off the tee but in my opinion some tree clearing would go a long way to improving the quality of the layout.
The club are planning to renovate the course and if a good job is done I think Long Island could really compete with the higher tier sandbelt courses.

The National

Old course: The original course (1988). Trent Jones Jr designed. An adventurous adventure rolling through the dunes of cape shanck. Not a long course, just under 6000m, fairways are generous with treelined fairways. Once you're in it, you're reloading. Rolling fairways make golf fun, with undulations offering vantage points of the fingal region. You gotta learn how to hit different shots as the ball is rarely on flat ground. Greens are large. The wind plays a factor. Accuracy and hitting greens in the right spot (can be some 20m away) to get the best of any hole. Driver not always needed. My fave course.

Moonah course: Greg Norman designed. Long, well just over 6100m. Need precision around the greens as they are exposed to the wind which can result in on the green off the green. A fun course which allows you to open your shoulders and have a swing. Fairways wide enough with enough rough to capture errant balls. If you're in it, you're probably in a small crevice. The final 5 holes usually plays into a prevailing wind. 16 is a roller coaster into the wind some 420+m par 4. Hitting to a ridge, come up short and watch the ball roll back towards you. Index is lower than you think. A good day in the office.

Gunamatta course: Tom Doak brought his skills to the former Ocean course which members by and large avoided placing stress on the other 2. What was an up and down course now takes you up, down and around. Views of the ocean are not in play, which was barely the case on the Ocean would you believe. Fairways so wide you can land a plane on it. Members love it cause of this. A linksy course where protection are the tricky greens (pure distinction hybrid). Members remember the old layout with. effectively all reused in some capacity. Most exposed to the wind.

Peninsula Kingswood

This marks the culmination of years of work in the merger of Peninsula and Kingswood clubs.

North course: Amazing. Scenes, undulations and a real challenge. Tightness requires accuracy off the tee which sets you up for the ultimate shot into the green. The word sandbelt works here with sharp edges of bunkering a real feature around the greens. Slick greens provides thoughts on downhill approaches for the discerning player. I feel like if Im hitting the ball accurately the game here is easy. Then it stops and ends up being a day in the sand. 5968m. First three holes are a blast, especially the second (par 3) hugging the edge of the property. Must putt well here.

South course: The more forgiving course, but feels longer than the north. BUT its 5958. Wider and more generous fairways it seems. The creed which meanders through the property provides water and something to avoid. Like the north you gotta putt well on the pure distinction greens. Accurate iron play is definitely encouraged. Back to back par 5s 14-15th. The stretch of holes 11-14 are an excellent way to finish off a working day with ease of entry and exit.

Are these all reciprocal courses?

Nice descriptions Peter North but you have managed to forget one of your home courses!

Long Island:
An underrated sandbelt style course bordering Peninsula Kingswood on largely flat ground with some gentle movement in certain parts of the property. Some excellent holes of which 7-9 are the highlight with the Hogs Back 8th being one of the more unique short 4's in Melbourne. The greens are perhaps the strength of the course often having large amounts of tilt and preferring shots from certain parts of the fairway. Bunkers are aplenty here both green side and along fairways and are at the forefront of golfers minds when approaching greens. There is reasonable width on offer off the tee but in my opinion some tree clearing would go a long way to improving the quality of the layout.
The club are planning to renovate the course and if a good job is done I think Long Island could really compete with the higher tier sandbelt courses.

I did, but i dont think i could do a write up worthy as i hardly play there. 8th is unique. i dont like it particularly. greens are very good!

I did, but i dont think i could do a write up worthy as i hardly play there. 8th is unique. i dont like it particularly. greens are very good!
It did stretch my memory a bit probably 6 months since I've been there. Hopefully they get on with this reno and give me a good reason to go more often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Par event today. Interesting format. I scored -1 overall, equating to 35 points. Stunning day. Had a lot of fun and struck the ball quite well mostly. Putting was dicey on the recently cored greens though, but saying that over the last month or so I’ve started looking at the hole as I make my stroke and it’s really improved my lag putting.

My house backs onto a golf course and it's so good seeing golfers steadily make their way past again.

Just pray the weather isn't to bad later on so I can have a hit after work.
Do you get many balls in your backyard?
It is my one genuine fear of duck hooking one into someones yard or house. I'm normally a fader or slicer but once every few rounds i will throw a duck hook in

Do you get many balls in your backyard?
It is my one genuine fear of duck hooking one into someones yard or house. I'm normally a fader or slicer but once every few rounds i will throw a duck hook in
Been here a year and had one ball in our backyard (TP5 score!) and I think one hit the roof. It's a short par 4. Long enough so most people can't reach our place from the tee but short enough that they shouldn't be spraying it 40m left with their approach shot :D

I haven’t bought a pack of balls for a long time - score all mine from the driving range at my club, as most the balls in there are made up of lost balls from the course and are usually decent quality. Used a Taylormade TP5 for the last few rounds and for the first time ever I felt like maybe the ball was making an actual positive difference to my game. Then I had a look at the price of a dozen in store - $70!!! Tell him he’s dreamin’ - this is ridiculous.

I haven’t bought a pack of balls for a long time - score all mine from the driving range at my club, as most the balls in there are made up of lost balls from the course and are usually decent quality. Used a Taylormade TP5 for the last few rounds and for the first time ever I felt like maybe the ball was making an actual positive difference to my game. Then I had a look at the price of a dozen in store - $70!!! Tell him he’s dreamin’ - this is ridiculous.

When I was getting back into golf I bought 3 dozen calloway cxr cheapies for like 50 bucks. Chuffed, "these will last me forever!"

Found a brand new tp5x two weeks later. Tried it, loved it, still have two dozen un used calloways

Turns out we got none of the rain they were predicting today. At least now in SE Melbourne haha. I didn’t get a chance to get out today. Hoping for a few weather gaps in the next couple of days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back