80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Most comps at my club are off the blue tees at the tips. 6600m long. They’ve got rid of the whites all together recently. It’s brutal, especially on a breezy day. I get 3 extra shots to my handicap when I play bu they can be cancelled out pretty quickly.
That sounds as much fun as getting a root canal (particularly when you said some holes are tight).

Are they trying to weed out the old codgers by stealth?

Brian Slawnik to clarify mate - Doak doesn't do any Renaissance design work anymore other than the vary rare trophy project.

Slawnik also doing the Commonwealth job.
Thanks for the clarification good to give credit to the right person. Similar to most calling National Moonah a Greg Norman course when Bob Harrison is really the one to thank.

Commonwealth moving in the right direction? Lots of good work happening at golf courses in Australia at the moment although I've been told that Woodlands have replaced their fescue green surrounds with thick couch unfortunately.

Have been to the range a couple of times finally, but still haven't been able to match up the right day/weather/ availability to get out for a round.

Pretty happy with how I'm swinging my irons, not great distance (it's never been my strength I'm probably a short hitter), but more consistent shape, either straight or a bit of a pull but not disastrous.

Driver is very much a lottery, every shot shape in the book.

I reckon I'd score better at the moment playing Putter - 4H instead.

Thanks for the clarification good to give credit to the right person. Similar to most calling National Moonah a Greg Norman course when Bob Harrison is really the one to thank.
What was the "Faldo design" where he was rumoured to have have gotten lost driving to the course on Opening Day....

Commonwealth moving in the right direction? Lots of good work happening at golf courses in Australia at the moment although I've been told that Woodlands have replaced their fescue green surrounds with thick couch unfortunately.
Nothing ever easy at Commonwealth! They axed OCM just before the first COVID hit last year and went on a search for a "prestigious international architect" and landed with Renaissance. And then the borders closed and no one could travel out here. So nothing has really happened. Obviously had they stayed with OCM work could have continued at pace during the lockdown periods.

At the advice of the new Superintendent (ex-Woodlands!) they brought forward the overplanting of the fairways to Santa Ana into late Sept. Hence when the members returned to the course after months of no play they were greeted by 9 holes being out of play. Fair to say the membership less than enamoured!

Strange decision at Woodlands to remove the fescue surrounds. The reason you typically put them in is there is a poa herbicide you can use on fescue but not couch. This stops the poa encroachment.

What was the "Faldo design" where he was rumoured to have have gotten lost driving to the course on Opening Day....

Nothing ever easy at Commonwealth! They axed OCM just before the first COVID hit last year and went on a search for a "prestigious international architect" and landed with Renaissance. And then the borders closed and no one could travel out here. So nothing has really happened. Obviously had they stayed with OCM work could have continued at pace during the lockdown periods.

At the advice of the new Superintendent (ex-Woodlands!) they brought forward the overplanting of the fairways to Santa Ana into late Sept. Hence when the members returned to the course after months of no play they were greeted by 9 holes being out of play. Fair to say the membership less than enamoured!

Strange decision at Woodlands to remove the fescue surrounds. The reason you typically put them in is there is a poa herbicide you can use on fescue but not couch. This stops the poa encroachment.
The less Faldo in Australia the better.

An odd decision to get rid of OCM given their proven track record on the sandbelt. Anything in particular they did wrong? I guess the allure of the exciting international beats out the boring locals.

Certainly frustrating to have 9 holes out of play especially at the moment when the courses are busy.

An odd decision to get rid of OCM given their proven track record on the sandbelt. Anything in particular they did wrong? I guess the allure of the exciting international beats out the boring locals.
That's pretty much it I suspect.

I think some there believe they are #2 in Australia only behind RM West with a bit of tinkering by a big name.

That sounds as much fun as getting a root canal (particularly when you said some holes are tight).

Are they trying to weed out the old codgers by stealth?

It’s the mid handicapper old reptiles that dink it 150m low but straight as a dime that make up the majority of the comp circuit. It’s actually impressive seeing them play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hit the range today, my god I have no idea with the driver. Need to park it until a lesson is an option. Will hit the course though when the weather is a bit nicer with 4H and just play short.

One thing I'm noticing and really liking is my worst shots are getting better. Still have a lot of misses, but they're much better shots as misses than they were a year ago.

juss with a hole in one on the 9th at a nice course on the peninsula in my dreams overnight. Congratulations :laughing:
You know what, I'll take that. Probably the only ace il ever get, but you witnessed it so the story has back up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back