Opinion Your lowest point as an Eagles supporter?

Lowest point?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched a game with James Cameron at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
how low can you go...surely the lowest ebb.

for mine, the woosha 'clean-up culture' period culminating with a wooden spoon..
we lost something in the process, our souls, spirit or mongrel, but it's back now.

Last edited:
The day we considered signing Ballantine. I had the microwave warmed up ready to go full Tiger supporter.

how low can you go...surely the lowest ebb.

for mine, the woosha 'clean-up culture' period culminating with a wooden spoon..
we lost something in the process, our souls, spirit or mongrel, but it's back now.

We also lost a bit of the undesirable traits from that time though.

Could potentially be Freo with their behavioral issues.

The day we considered signing Ballantine. I had the microwave warmed up ready to go full Tiger supporter.

I don't think this was ever happening. Media beat up in a relatively quiet off-season for the WA clubs.

We may have recruited Sam Mitchell and rookie listed Drew Petrie but trading for Hayden Ballantyne was another thing altogether.

We also lost a bit of the undesirable traits from that time though.

Could potentially be Freo with their behavioral issues.
oh sure, we had a purge, it was needed, but I think it went too far the other way for too long....the lost vanilla years.

2007's ending was very painful, but i was an adolescent and every emotion you feel at that age seems compounded

2010 i didn't mind so much, Mitch Brown going down like a sack of spuds to Johnno brown and winning us the spoon was a tough pill to swallow though.

Nope...

I think the LOW point for me was when my dislike for the club reached it's absolute peak.... 2013. After being tipped for the flag by so many after such good 11/12 seasons. The players simply stopped playing for Worsfold and it was just embarrassing. Kind of like how Fremantle are now with Ross.

Very hard to watch as a supporter :seenoevil:

oh sure, we had a purge, it was needed, but I think it went too far the other way for too long....the lost vanilla years.

As Paul Keating would say, it was the vanilla years we had to have.

Mainly to get the AFL and media off our backs. If the worst the Victorian media can come up with now is our scandalous free kick differential then we're on the right path. Put it this way - would you want to the club to have a coach with sexual harassment allegations, players dropping pants, giving false names to police, decking photographers, stalking ex-girlfriends etc etc?

I'm grateful for what Cousins, Kerr, Chick, Hunter etc provided in 2006 but I don't think there is a room for their off-field antics today and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

2005 grand final after final siren and 2-3 days following.

Was just devastated as it was the first time I saw WC make a grand final when I wasn't really young

Yeah was rough. We were 2 kicks up and then Braun(?) hit the post. The extreme elation while that kick was in the air and I could taste the flag and then the thud into the post and succumbing over the next 10 minutes with one last heart flutter killed by Leo Barry. Endorphin rollercoaster.

Mrs reliably informs me I was a complete prick for 2 days after that.

Mainy's death cut me to the core, and when I heard Cousins was present, I lost it big time. Obviously, this was before all the facts were revealed but I was a mess that day.

On field, sitting in the stands for the 2016 elimination final next to the Bulldogs cheer squad wasn't pleasant. But have to concur with many here - post-season 2007 and all of 2008 was horrible. Being a country kid I couldn't get to too many games but fondly remember surprise performances like McKinley's 7-goal haul against the Dons.

However, the fact that I can isolate a single 12-month period as the lowest point is a testament to how great this club is. Some clubs have low points that last decades.

Come on as a footy you must have cried many times over the years - getting kicked around could be very painful :).

P.S. Sorry Avishka couldn’t help it.
As a footy I get off being kicked around.

As Paul Keating would say, it was the vanilla years we had to have.

Mainly to get the AFL and media off our backs. If the worst the Victorian media can come up with now is our scandalous free kick differential then we're on the right path. Put it this way - would you want to the club to have a coach with sexual harassment allegations, players dropping pants, giving false names to police, decking photographers, stalking ex-girlfriends etc etc?

I'm grateful for what Cousins, Kerr, Chick, Hunter etc provided in 2006 but I don't think there is a room for their off-field antics today and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
The thread title is called 'your lowest point as an eagles supporter'.... nothing you say is going to change that, and i'm fully aware of the all reasons for the woosha/club purge, and the consequences as it played out. you seem to miss my point, i'm not anti-culture purge, but none-the-less it was my lowest point..
and once again i believe it went too far, for too long, and Woosha wasn't all he was cracked up to be...he was also a part of the culture he was cleaning up, the good ol' boys club, the nepotism..that's my opinion, and my lowest point. ;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgetting to renew my ITW membership the year after finally getting offered seats.
Went from front of the queue to the back.
This was about 2008/2009.

Only just scrapped in this year with a 3/5 game membership offer.

Wrensted's missed goal from 25m dead in front during the 88 elimination final is underrated. Huge opportunity with us having won 5 straight heading in with Keene and Glendinning at the peak of their powers.

2007 QF. Didn't like Port beforehand and have despised them ever since.

We were one Cousins hamstring away from having a week's rest and then a home PF against a mediocre North Melbourne. Granted, Geelong would've been hard to toss in the GF.

without a doubt it's sitting in the stands as we lost the game to brisbane at home in 2010 and sealed our fate as the wooden spooners

stung more because we literally weren't even good enough to beat the second-last team at home

The thread title is called 'your lowest point as an eagles supporter'.... nothing you say is going to change that, and i'm fully aware of the all reasons for the woosha/club purge, and the consequences as it played out. you seem to miss my point, i'm not anti-culture purge, but none-the-less it was my lowest point..
and once again i believe it went too far, for too long, and Woosha wasn't all he was cracked up to be...he was also a part of the culture he was cleaning up, the good ol' boys club, the nepotism..that's my opinion, and my lowest point. ;)

Fair enough, apologies if I came off as being rude or anything like that.

2007 QF. Didn't like Port beforehand and have despised them ever since.

I have a similar opinion and it was so f***ing sweet when the 2017 elimination final happened. I might be one of a minority of non-South Australians that prefer Adelaide over Port.

Ken Judge era for me. Became an Eagles member around 97 with my dad after watching the footy every weekend on TV. We were really spoilt throughout the whole 90’s making finals every year.

Then after Malthouse pissed off to Collingwood the Eagles went downhill fast with an aging list. My dad and I left most home games at Subi in a shitty mood and sometimes we argued with each other. Remember after one game walking home we were both so triggered that we said it was our last year as members. It just wasn’t enjoyable and instead of being a good father/son bonding activity it made us fight.

Then Worsfold was announced as the new coach and we stayed members thankfully. But damn that Judge era was a shock to the system. Was an unwelcome insight into how tough it is supporting a s**t team. Thank god I don’t barrack for the Dockers.

2007 was just a year of crap. Being bundled out in strait sets, especially losing to Collingwood like that, was deflating, but then Mainy died. I was only 9 at the time, but my Dad had old tapes of heaps of Eagles games, and Mainy was one of my favourites to watch. I was devastated, it's one of only two times I've cried about something footy related that I can remember. First was the 05 GF. And then to top it off Judd left. Sure we got JK, and arguably won the trade but it stung at the time.

2007's ending was very painful, but i was an adolescent and every emotion you feel at that age seems compounded

2010 i didn't mind so much, Mitch Brown going down like a sack of spuds to Johnno brown and winning us the spoon was a tough pill to swallow though.

Nope...

I think the LOW point for me was when my dislike for the club reached it's absolute peak.... 2013. After being tipped for the flag by so many after such good 11/12 seasons. The players simply stopped playing for Worsfold and it was just embarrassing. Kind of like how Fremantle are now with Ross.

Very hard to watch as a supporter :seenoevil:

Yep. Got absolutely pumped in those last three games. Cost Kennedy a coleman too.

Fair enough, apologies if I came off as being rude or anything like that.
I have a similar opinion and it was so f***ing sweet when the 2017 elimination final happened. I might be one of a minority of non-South Australians that prefer Adelaide over Port.
No probs, just seem to be hammering the point, all good!
It was indeed f***ing sweet as, with a lot of good signs for this season!
I like how we seem to have the wood over Port..

Last edited:
The Crows are vastly preferable to the Power. It doesn't help that Port are a slightly more successful Fremantle. In general, Crows supporters are easier to get along with than Port supporters.

Back