Ozmale62

Senior List
Feb 10, 2013
Cranbourne West
AFL Club
Sydney
Robbieando,

Here is some food for thought.

98 Games, 462 Goals, 3 times he kicked the magic 100 Goals in a season (1995, 1996 & 1998) for the Swans, & that single behind that kicked right on the 50m line (probably more like 45m) at the end of the Preliminary Final in 1996 will always be remembered as the kick that actually put the Sydney Swans into their first Grand Final since 1945. What should be also remembered, is that his kick got the distance even though he was carrying a major Groin issue into the game.

Whatever you say, he is definitely up there in calculations with statistics like that.

And it should be remembered, that Laurie Nash, who we all agree is right up there in calculations for Top 5 player, only played 99 matches also..... So to say that Lockett didn't spend enough time at the club, might be incorrect in its assumption when compared to Laurie Nash.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Robbieando,

Here is some food for thought.

98 Games, 462 Goals, 3 times he kicked the magic 100 Goals in a season (1995, 1996 & 1998) for the Swans

Not denying any of that. But Bob Pratt for example in his first 98 games at Full Forward (first two seasons were at CHF) at the Swans (Round 2 1932 - Round 7 1937) kicked 503 Goals, along with the magic 100 goals 3 times including the season record of 150 and lead the club to a Premiership and had another taken from us by a truck. He isn't our greatest goal kicker of all time despite being the greatest of all time, thats a debate in itself.

that single behind that kicked right on the 50m line (probably more like 45m) at the end of the Preliminary Final in 1996 will always be remembered as the kick that actually put the Sydney Swans into their first Grand Final since 1945. What should be also remembered, is that his kick got the distance even though he was carrying a major Groin issue into the game.

That is a moment in time, a great moment none the less but not one that you define as to who is a great of this club. Do we take marks off Paul Kelly for his decision in the 96 Grand Final to pass to Lockett and miss hitting him on the chest rather than going for goal? Of course not. We celebrate moments but don't define players by them.

Whatever you say, he is definitely up there in calculations with statistics like that.

We have had more than enough players to put in positions 6-10 and most will put him in, that I have no issue with. I certainly would find it hard to settle on a final list in those positions but I can't put him down for Top 5. That's my issue, he hasn't done enough to warrant Top 5 billing on the field, 6-10 yes but the case for others "could" push him out of my list.

And it should be remembered, that Laurie Nash, who we all agree is right up there in calculations for Top 5 player, only played 99 matches also..... So to say that Lockett didn't spend enough time at the club, might be incorrect in its assumption when compared to Laurie Nash.

When you compare Lockett's career, its fair. You at least used Lockett's stats at Sydney and not his all-time stats. Same debate would come up with the like of Greg Williams and Gerard Healy. As for Nash as others pointed out he had the War interrupt his career and also time in the VFA, plus time playing Cricket for Australia. Not all thing compare directly and not all eras are the same.

My opinion is and has been that they make some mistakes in selection of the team including picking Lockett at Full Forward of the team over Pratt who does hold the club all-time goal kicking record.

dont disagree with that point.

Trouble for old players like Pratt is its easy to get lost to history, eg show me a clip of him playing

Yeah we have stats but i think people like to be able to see.

Pratt to me was a lock at Full Forward though

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Goodes is a better Swan ? What makes a better Swan ???? Lockett is on another Planet compared to the majority of AFL players who have laced up a boot including Goodes.
Goodes longevity and contribution to the cause is unquestioned but anyone who down plays Lockett's contribution in comparison even though it was over a much shorter period of time should seek counselling.

An interesting argument this one.

Lockett was a better forward. No doubt at all. One of the best ever (I rate Ablett Snr as just slightly better and his stats/game support this). IMO Goodes is a better overall player. Goodes can turn a game from any position on the ground. Lockett was the consummate finisher but with a very focused skill set. Goodes can lead and inspire. Give me a choice of a young Lockett or a young Goodes and I'd have the latter in the team based on versatility and overall skill. Mind you I'd have loved to have seen Goodes and Lockett play together when Plugger was at his peak. Alas the only overlap was a waning champion and a developing star.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
An interesting argument this one.

Lockett was a better forward. No doubt at all. One of the best ever (I rate Ablett Snr as just slightly better and his stats/game support this). IMO Goodes is a better overall player. Goodes can turn a game from any position on the ground. Lockett was the consummate finisher but with a very focused skill set. Goodes can lead and inspire. Give me a choice of a young Lockett or a young Goodes and I'd have the latter in the team based on versatility and overall skill. Mind you I'd have loved to have seen Goodes and Lockett play together when Plugger was at his peak. Alas the only overlap was a waning champion and a developing star.

Lockett missed close to 100 games through injury and suspension. Sorry Bungee Goodes is Great but Plugger is in every sense of the word an All Time Great. Lockett is in the best 5 players to ever pull on a boot.

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Its not an argument Baja. Just an opinion. Lockett is and it is sure to be official very soon a Legend of the game of Australian Rules Football.

I love a good argument I think I just use the word loosely. Not sure many would have Plugger in their top 5 ever but each to their own.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I love a good argument I think I just use the word loosely. Not sure many would have Plugger in their top 5 ever but each to their own.

F
air enough old son your opinion but let me finish my propaganda layden posting on this issue by saying if you are of the opinion that Goodes is in the same league as Lockett then you have surely taken in way too much of the sea spray that rises up into your cabin from the great Seaman's Highway of Bass Strait.

Plugger is the best player to wear a swans guernsey since they moved to sydney.

Is he the best swan in sydney dunno, but if you look at their whole career not just swans games he is the best easily imho

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney

F
air enough old son your opinion but let me finish my propaganda layden posting on this issue by saying if you are of the opinion that Goodes is in the same league as Lockett then you have surely taken in way too much of the sea spray that rises up into your cabin from the great Seaman's Highway of Bass Strait.

Im just sitting on deck taking in the rays, breathing the fresh salty air enjoying everyones opinions. :thumbsu:

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Plugger is the best player to wear a swans guernsey since they moved to sydney.

Is he the best swan in sydney dunno, but if you look at their whole career not just swans games he is the best easily imho

If I had of got an education at South Melbourne Technical School instead of staring out the window onto Oval 1 wondering if I would be one day able to kick a torp from the centre into Albert Park Lake then I may have been able to articulate in my previous ramblings exactly what you said. Thankyou.

If I had of got an education at South Melbourne Technical School instead of staring out the window onto Oval 1 wondering if I would be one day able to kick a torp from the centre into Albert Park Lake then I may have been able to articulate in my previous ramblings exactly what you said. Thankyou.

Did you get the torp close?

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

That sounded like our mate Wolfgang

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Maybe one of Gloria McGregor's not sure. Although if it had of been one of hers I probably would have forgone my football fantasies for something more gratifying.
If thats the same Mrs Mcgregor that also taught at Hobsans Bay I hear you brother, she used to come over to your desk when you put your hand up and lean over so her visible nipples were in your face, I never asked so many questions in my life I remember the whole back row with their hands up straight waiting for their turn for help lol

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
If thats the same Mrs Mcgregor that also taught at Hobsans Bay I hear you brother, she used to come over to your desk when you put your hand up and lean over so her visible nipples were in your face, I never asked so many questions in my life I remember the whole back row with their hands up straight waiting for their turn for help lol

The one and only.

Pictures?

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Lockett missed close to 100 games through injury and suspension. Sorry Bungee Goodes is Great but Plugger is in every sense of the word an All Time Great. Lockett is in the best 5 players to ever pull on a boot.

Ablett Snr missed games because he couldn't be bothered half the time yet his goals/game score outranks Plugger. Both legends but Ablett was a freak of nature. Lightning reactions vs Plugger's man mountain. Ablett was IMO much more fun to watch though I screamed 'PLUGGGGGGGGER' more times than I can count when he was playing for the Swans.

Shall we agree to disagree ?

Back