Club History Your memories of Swans legends

Remove this Banner Ad

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Ablett Snr missed games because he couldn't be bothered half the time yet his goals/game score outranks Plugger. Both legends but Ablett was a freak of nature. Lightning reactions vs Plugger's man mountain. Ablett was IMO much more fun to watch though I screamed 'PLUGGGGGGGGER' more times than I can count when he was playing for the Swans.

Shall we agree to disagree ?

Affirmative.

Ozmale62

Senior List
Feb 10, 2013
Cranbourne West
AFL Club
Sydney

If I had of got an education at South Melbourne Technical School instead of staring out the window onto Oval 1 wondering if I would be one day able to kick a torp from the centre into Albert Park Lake then I may have been able to articulate in my previous ramblings exactly what you said. Thankyou.

Cinderella Man.
Ah yes, the good old times.

Whilst I did not attend South Melbourne Tech, I do remember playing so many games at Oval 1 as both player & captain of the U'15's & U'17's for South Districts. A long time ago, but a real enjoyment for my career before going across & playing some U'19 games for the mighty South Melbourne.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Cinderella Man.
Ah yes, the good old times.

Whilst I did not attend South Melbourne Tech, I do remember playing so many games at Oval 1 as both player & captain of the U'15's & U'17's for South Districts. A long time ago, but a real enjoyment for my career before going across & playing some U'19 games for the mighty South Melbourne.

Districts were always pretty strong in the 15's & 17's when I was at Sth Tech and a fair few blokes knew every blade of grass on Oval 1 playing with the school during the week and the Districts on the Saturday.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Laurie Nash is easily in the top five Swans of all time.........easily.

My favourite memories of Swans legends started with Skilton as a kid when South were pretty ordinary. I will be honest and say I cant remember his highlights reel well as I was very young but I am proud that I can actually remember the South supporters flocking to the Lake Oval expecting another loss but with excitement and pride beating out of their chests at the anticipation of seeing their little Champ run out there and leaving nothing out there with his lion hearted efforts to try and pinch a win for the Red and Whites. To be there with my old man win or lose watching the Chimp is something I will treasure all my life.

From there it went to Bedford who is one of the most beautifully balanced skillfull players to lace up a boot and like Skilton if not for some of his individual feats some dark times at the lake could have been a lot darker.

My all time favourite Swans legend is and always will P.Kelly. People have always highlighted the fact about his lack of Skill and getting the best out of himself and so on but imo there has never been a more courageous player pull on a football jumper in any Australian rules football game ever played. He had explosive speed and evasivness, endurance, strength and a fantastic leap that made him an outstanding overhead mark for his stature. His ability to kick goals as a midfielder in his era and burst away from congestion with a clearance was outstanding. Some of his Herculean efforts in leadership will be forever etched in the history of the Sydney Swans Football Club imo. One particular game against North at the SCG where we were down from memory where he kicked a goal to put us in front to win the game will stay forever in my memory. Kelly exhausted socks down dirt and dust all over him from the the amount of times he had been buried into the turf in the forward pocket Noble stand end wins a contested ball gets around one then two players one being Archer twice falling over and picking himself up both times to stagger towards goal off balance and kick the sealer. The man had the Heart and will of Lion. Kelly would not have been out of place in the Coloseum. Week in Week out you knew what you would get from Kel. Imo the greatest Leader the Sydney Swans have had and will ever have.

Sorry about the nostalgia.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Kelly between 95 and the Port game in 98 when he did his knee at the SCG was one of the best players in the game. Surprise Brownlow win in 95, but should of won in 96 or 97 regardless and who knows what could of been in 98. In fact I still believe we would won the flag in 98 if he didn't do his knee.

One of the best

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
My favourite memories of Swans legends started with Skilton as a kid when South were pretty ordinary. I will be honest and say I cant remember his highlights reel well as I was very young but I am proud that I can actually remember the South supporters flocking to the Lake Oval expecting another loss but with excitement and pride beating out of their chests at the anticipation of seeing their little Champ run out there and leaving nothing out there with his lion hearted efforts to try and pinch a win for the Red and Whites. To be there with my old man win or lose watching the Chimp is something I will treasure all my life.

From there it went to Bedford who is one of the most beautifully balanced skillfull players to lace up a boot and like Skilton if not for some of his individual feats some dark times at the lake could have been a lot darker.

My all time favourite Swans legend is and always will P.Kelly. People have always highlighted the fact about his lack of Skill and getting the best out of himself and so on but imo there has never been a more courageous player pull on a football jumper in any Australian rules football game ever played. He had explosive speed and evasivness, endurance, strength and a fantastic leap that made him an outstanding overhead mark for his stature. His ability to kick goals as a midfielder in his era and burst away from congestion with a clearance was outstanding. Some of his Herculean efforts in leadership will be forever etched in the history of the Sydney Swans Football Club imo. One particular game against North at the SCG where we were down from memory where he kicked a goal to put us in front to win the game will stay forever in my memory. Kelly exhausted socks down dirt and dust all over him from the the amount of times he had been buried into the turf in the forward pocket Noble stand end wins a contested ball gets around one then two players one being Archer twice falling over and picking himself up both times to stagger towards goal off balance and kick the sealer. The man had the Heart and will of Lion. Kelly would not have been out of place in the Coloseum. Week in Week out you knew what you would get from Kel. Imo the greatest Leader the Sydney Swans have had and will ever have.

Sorry about the nostalgia.

Don't be sorry mate your post made my chest swell with pride, my strongest memory of Kelly and I cant recall the exact games as it was very often was seeing him run down opposition players who thought they were safe, they would have several players shepherding them and you would see Kelly in pursuit, he would go through, over, under whatever but he found a way to get to them and take them out he was never out of the game and never lost a loose ball. Champion.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't be sorry mate your post made my chest swell with pride, my strongest memory of Kelly and I cant recall the exact games as it was very often was seeing him run down opposition players who thought they were safe, they would have several players shepherding them and you would see Kelly in pursuit, he would go through, over, under whatever but he found a way to get to them and take them out he was never out of the game and never lost a loose ball. Champion.[/quote]
:thumbsu:

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Districts were always pretty strong in the 15's & 17's when I was at Sth Tech and a fair few blokes knew every blade of grass on Oval 1 playing with the school during the week and the Districts on the Saturday.
The way the ground sloped slightly towards the lake after the CHF line making you stumble at training when doing countless 100's, the way the ground drained after the heaviest rains, the way you could find a couple of meters on the lead by drawing your opponent across the sandy cricket pitches, the space you could find on the outer wing next to the Ajax ground, the way you could bump your opponent on his off step making him hit the school wall, the way the ball went right to left at the train tacks end because of the wall.. Yeah great memories of oval 1. :footy:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
What slope.
CM great words. I remember when as a mascot you could run out with the team and one day I got knocked over in the race and Bobby came back to pick me up,i was very little , but will never forget. Next week I will be working next to the great mans house and on the Saturday he will be honoured as being the number 1 member for Ormond footy club for 10 years

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
What slope.
CM great words. I remember when as a mascot you could run out with the team and one day I got knocked over in the race and Bobby came back to pick me up,i was very little , but will never forget. Next week I will be working next to the great mans house and on the Saturday he will be honoured as being the number 1 member for Ormond footy club for 10 years

There was a slight slope a ridge of sorts, what would you know you probably never broke out of a jog.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Kelly between 95 and the Port game in 98 when he did his knee at the SCG was one of the best players in the game. Surprise Brownlow win in 95, but should of won in 96 or 97 regardless and who knows what could of been in 98. In fact I still believe we would won the flag in 98 if he didn't do his knee.

One of the best

His match against Norf in 1999 when he beat three tackles to kick the goal to get us back in the game sticks out in my mind, that was around the time I started following footy, would have been one of his first games back from the knee. Was vintage Kelly.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
There was a slight slope a ridge of sorts, what would you know you probably never broke out of a jog.

From what I am told by a former native of this Board Bedford spent a bit of his illustrious career plying his craft at the Peanut Farm. In those days from memory and judging by Bedford's waning years I would say Districts were 1st DIV SESFL and StKilda City may have been 2nd Div so I don't believe the great man may have set foot on the hallowed turf of Oval 1. Oval 1, Murphys Reserve and the Peanut Farm, 3 very unique Suburban Footy venues and none of them for the faint hearted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
His match against Norf in 1999 when he beat three tackles to kick the goal to get us back in the game sticks out in my mind, that was around the time I started following footy, would have been one of his first games back from the knee. Was vintage Kelly.

I stand corrected I said he beat 2 tacklers but 3 only adds to the legend. I knew it was nineties but never had the game pegged for 1999. I Must try and get a copy of the game just to relive that moment.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

RW

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I stand corrected I said he beat 2 tacklers but 3 only adds to the legend. I knew it was nineties but never had the game pegged for 1999. I Must try and get a copy of the game just to relive that moment.

This is the one, he kicked the goal just as the third tackler was about to get him, from 4:08 onwards.

Video courtesy of our very own SouthSwans

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
We never played the colts who I also played for later only in round robins and practise games and we used to smash Stkilda City you must be very old.

I played at Colts and spent time at Port and never can remember Districts, Colts and City all in the same Div. In any case the time period I am talking about Districts were a fair way ahead or the other 2. Your right though I think he must be very old and must have played in an era before Adidas footy boots made an appearance.:eek: Now that's old !

Ozmale62

Senior List
Feb 10, 2013
Cranbourne West
AFL Club
Sydney

CM,

I always remember the tackle against Carlton (I think), where he basically smothered a kick of the half back flanker & took the ball forward & kicked a team lifting goal. He was an inspiration to many, Bob Skilton included.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
CM,

I always remember the tackle against Carlton (I think), where he basically smothered a kick of the half back flanker & took the ball forward & kicked a team lifting goal. He was an inspiration to many, Bob Skilton included.

Fantastic Oz I was there that day and it was Carlton at Princes Park sitting in one of the old timber stands. May have been 96 when we beat both Carlton and North there.

Ozmale62

Senior List
Feb 10, 2013
Cranbourne West
AFL Club
Sydney
CM,

As was I... Loved watching him play on guts & determination. At the start, his skills were ordinary, but he continually worked on them to achieve the most out of his talents. To be honest, the way he made himself a very good footballer in the end, has been mirrored to a degree by Brett Kirk when he first arrived, was delisted & returned to the Swans, & Kieren Jack & his battle from rugby player, to stopper to elite midfielder.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
CM,

As was I... Loved watching him play on guts & determination. At the start, his skills were ordinary, but he continually worked on them to achieve the most out of his talents. To be honest, the way he made himself a very good footballer in the end, has been mirrored to a degree by Brett Kirk when he first arrived, was delisted & returned to the Swans, & Kieren Jack & his battle from rugby player, to stopper to elite midfielder.

Its funny because I take a loss like last week pretty hard when we have such great hopes for this year but I only have to start reminiscing in my head about some of the great enjoyment the club and the likes of Kel have given over the years and its happy days again.

You sound like a great South Man OZ so just as a matter of interest what years were Skipper at the Districts U17'S and who were some of the blokes who you were playing with there around that time ? Know one bloke who used to post on this Board who has often told me how he played with Districts on a Saturday morning and still make it over to the Lake by 2.00pm to sneak into the Old members stand to watch the Bloods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back