Your memories of the 1977 Centenary Test

Remove this Banner Ad

What amazes me regarding the Australian team that was picked to go to England immediately after the Centenary Test was that the selectors picked only one opening batsman to go on tour who wasn’t 100% fit, and that was Rick McCosker. Ian Redpath and Alan Turner who were bona fide openers who missed out on the 17 man squad, and Richie Robinson who opened the batting with McCosker in the Ashes series in England was really a back-up or understudy to the number one wicket keeper in the touring squad, Rodney Marsh. No wonder Australia lost the Ashes 3-0.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I read Kerry O'Keefe's account of that 1977 England tour and he said it was horrendous, you had the players that had signed to WSC in one group and other players that either hadn't been signed to WSC or refused to sign for them in another group which caused divisions within the team.

He said the WSC guys cared more about negotiating their contracts than winning games of cricket and the non WSC guys thought why bother when some of their teammates didn't care, as you say it's no wonder England rolled them 3 zip in that series.

I read Kerry O'Keefe's account of that 1977 England tour and he said it was horrendous, you had the players that had signed to WSC in one group and other players that either hadn't been signed to WSC or refused to sign for them in another group which caused divisions within the team.

He said the WSC guys cared more about negotiating their contracts than winning games of cricket and the non WSC guys thought why bother when some of their teammates didn't care, as you say it's no wonder England rolled them 3 zip in that series.

Not only did Australia lose the Ashes 3-0, they also got beaten in the one day internationals 2-1.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back