Opinion Your most important player?

Remove this Banner Ad

TheUnicorn

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Who’s your teams most important player? The player that if you were to lose it could spell the end to your 2024 campaign.

They aren’t necessarily your best player, but the most important in terms of structure or an important cog. Maybe you have no depth in that position and it leaves a massive hole.

Tom Hawkins; he’s our forward line fulcrum - even when he’s not having a great day he is so important to Geelong structurally.

Nick Larkey. He kicked 28% of our scores this year, higher than any other player for their team in the comp. Curnow, Allen and Walker are the only other players above 20%.

for most teams it will be their full back

id say daniher slightly edges out andrews for brisbane. i can see the coaching staff being able to put a competent, albeit weaker backline together without andrews. i do not know who could even cover for daniher or how the forward line would function should he miss a significant part of the season

Sean Darcy
When he’s at his best mids get first use to keep pressure off defence.
Frees up Jackson to do as he please and we are starting to get a fwd line to capitalise

Harrison Petty. :$

It's hard to split Lewis and Sicily for mine.

Sicily the better player but I think we have better ways to cover his absence whereas it's Lewis or bust for our forward line.
My take on most important is structural, and for Hawthorn I would add Reeves to that mix.

A little left field given his stats and external ratings, but he offers our midfield regular first use, and was a very large part of our stoppages improvement in 2023. Not as good a player as Lewis/Sicily, but potentially more important structurally.

Lewis -> Chol
Sicily -> Scrimshaw/Frost
Reeves -> Meek

Our ruck is an unappreciated advantage at stoppages and after another pre-season of building his endurance base I'm hopeful Reeves will be able to play more effective minutes each week.

Jordan Ridley was in 2023 IMO. With McKay coming in maybe he won't be as vital, but his ability to come across to assist in defence, mop up intercept marks and be a calm and accurate user of the ball coming out of D50 are absolutely massive.

We haven't had anyone that could cover what he does either, whereas most other positions we've got some level of options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowan Marshall and Max King.

Darcy Moore by the length of the Flemington straight

It's hard to split Lewis and Sicily for mine.

Sicily the better player but I think we have better ways to cover his absence whereas it's Lewis or bust for our forward line.
Last year it was difficult to split. Hopefully this year with Chol and Gunston coming in Lewis becomes a little bit less important which will make it Sicily

Jordan Dawson.

If he plays well with his delivery, we have the forwards to kick more than 100 points.

Tom Lynch.

We lost him and it spelt the end for our 2023 campaign. And that was with Reiwoldt still playing.

Lose him again in 2024 and it's even worse.

I suspect you might at some point as he seems to be getting more injury prone as time goes not, which isn't too surprising given that is what happens to players when they get older.

Who’s your teams most important player? The player that if you were to lose it could spell the end to your 2024 campaign.

They aren’t necessarily your best player, but the most important in terms of structure or an important cog. Maybe you have no depth in that position and it leaves a massive hole.

Well, nobody then. We have no 2024 campaign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back