Your most memorable Melbourne Cup moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris3Judd

Debutant
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Melbourne Cup .... the race that stops the nation. There must be lots of memorable moments to share among the punters on this board. I will start off.

The first year I really got into racing and the Melbourne Cup. I was based in Kalgoorlie. A mining town of maybe 20-30k over 500km from Perth. Really a town band smack in the middle of nowhere except that it has one of the largest deposits of gold. It must have the highest capacity of pubs anywhere I have been. There was probably more beer than water in this place. All rage was for a horse called Doriemus. The part owners were local identities in the town and all the pubs were literally packed for Melbourne Cup. All pandemonium and joy broke out when Doriemus crossed the line. People were hugging each other .. fights were breaking out in the streets ... the party went on all week. Everyone man and their dog had money on the local horse and the local TAB literally ran out of money to pay out.

I was based in Camperdown a small farming town about 50km north of The 12 Apostles in Victoria. With some mates at the local TAB waiting with anticipation for the start of the Melbourne Cup. As the race began you would not guess what happened. We lost electricity to all of the town and the TAB was blacked out. Everyone was runnig out of the TAB to their cars to listen to the race on radio. It was really quite humourous looking back. Makybe Diva wins.

I was living in Kensington Bank and our townhouse is literally opposite the Flemington Racecourse which perfect view of the far end of the course. We had some mates over for a BBQ. Boy did the weather take a turn that year. It was bright and sunny for the morning and you could not believe it was going to rain. Typical Melbourne weather...if you don't like the weather .. wait a while it will change. Come noon there were these literally black clouds that were moving from Geelong/Werribee way at a speed of knots literally in the path of Flemington race course. I have never seen a sand storm like that day. Tents were uprooted.. horses were going berserk .. jockeys getting kicked the face. When the race started we were in third floor balcony watching the race as it was highest point with the best views. Then 15 of us were running down stairs to the middle level(2nd floor) to watch the end of the race on the projector screen. What a race by Mayke Diva .. not again I thought.

We were on holiday at Byron Bay at the main pub near the beach. There was over a thousand people in this large pub/restaurant. There was projectors and plasma screen scattered around the place and crowd was waiting in anticipation. Just as the race started someone noticed a big black snake roaming the pub and it was mayhem. Girls in frocks running away... half drunk blokes trying to be gunho and faceoff with the snake. While on the screen a champion was becoming a legend.

It also helped that I backed the winner and trifecta in 1995 and stuck with the Diva in 2004/2005.

Teacher took us out to the schoolyard and turned the radio on as she had scored Leilani in the sweep and she was confident. She should have known as a teacher to Think Big

Belldale Ball and the day Colin Hayes and Johnny Letts made you feel proud to be a South Aussie

Kiwi unfknbelievable so far back on the turn that it was written off...then to hear the excitement in ?Bill Collins voice or Johnny Tapp? as he flies home last with 400m to go to win

At Talaq my first winner :thumbsu:

Looked through the field a million times and it wasnt till after the race was run and won that I spotted the book in a pile beside my bed... Kensei :(

Subzero my second winner

The trifecta that paid for my airconditioning :thumbsu:

Remember Dad backing What A Nuisance at decent odds..I've never seen him go as nuts as he did that day.

Mine was the first Diva win. Had $50 on the NSWTAB while working in Sydney and paid 9.50 the win. I had been drinking since 1pm at a work function and didn't realise until the final 50 metres.

Went nuts. Drank more.

The first one I can remember would be at primary school when the whole school gathered to watch it, that would have been the year Black Knight won it and I would have been 5 years old!

1988, I was only 10 but a racing nut! In fact I reckon it's the only time I picked the winner (can't remember if I had someone put money on it for me), Empire Rose, the enormous chestnut mare. I can still remember seeing her on the Saturday in the McKinnon storming home to win from the back, she was a sure thing (if there can be one in a Melb cup!)

The cup has always been a disappointment results wise for me, so I dont have that many great memories. Of course anyone who didnt want the Diva to win last year weren't human. I had money on other horses but was happy to lose it to see the Diva win.

A disappointment was the day my favourite, old Doriemus, got beat by Might And Power. That was shattering. I instantly remembered that moment on Saturday while waiting for the photo result of the Cox Plate, but luckily this time the right horse got up in Fields.

Being a south Aussie, it was great to see Skybeau run 3rd one year and then come back and set the record for most cups runs.

Doriemus was my first melb cup in 1995 and I remember two standouts about that....
1. I won him in the sweep - went balistics when he won

2. There was an idiot telling the world that he couldnt win it and his jockey was a dud that wouldnt amount to anything (God! Id give anything to to talk to him again!!!!)

WRONG on both accounts :D

My favorite was 2002 no question - first and only time Ive ever cried over a horse race. I remember an errie event though...I heard about Olly's brother on the wednesday i think and the moring after it was really dark and cold and because of the road works i had to pass morphett vale racecourse on the way to the port - as I came back I heard on the radio that he was riding on regardless and as soon as i hit morphett vale, the sun came out!!! I knew then that hed win on Tuesday - as if it was preordained almost

If my memory dosent let me down i think the guy who wrote the script for movie Phar Lap has done a script for this one now as well!

In 2002 me and 2 mates started following a mare named Makybe Diva. We took her on and loved her as one of ours. Anway When the markets for the cup came out we got 100/1 for her. We kept putting $10/$20 on her to win aswell as doubles in the Caulfield/Melbourne. We copped heaps of **** from know it alls at the golf club we drank at aswell as everyone else who said she was no good. We ended up going to Thousand Guineas day together with a few others. After one of the races we were standing around near the mounting yard talking about the wide barrier Makybe had got for the CC. Alfie Mattews over heard us and called us over. He said "Listen lads. Dont worry about the wide barrier she drew. She will get back anyway and should win. She will also win the Melbourne cup easily. Keep following her"
Anyway come Caulfield cup day and she ran a great race and was just beaten.

Come Melbourne cup day. The drinking fest started at 10am at one of the guys unit. We stuck the centre article out of the Sun about Makybe on the wall as inspiration. The beer flowed and flowed all day and the by the time it came to cup time we were all drunk but still ok to enjoy the race. Well what a great ride it was and what a great effort by the mighty mare. As soon as she crossed the line we all run around the room hugging eachother (by this time the room was packed). Beer was all over my mates floor and couch aswell as the coffee table being smashed but he didnt care. We had won a absolute fortune and our girl Makybe Diva had won the cup. We taped the race and watched it over and over again. I must have rang a million people rubbing it in and also got a few congratulating calls, which was nice. We ended up going to the city that night and i ended up getting home at 10am the next morning much to the mrs disgust.
What a day it had been. One that will stick in my mind for the rest of my life.
The 3 of us ended up flying to sydney the next year and watch her in the BMW were she finished 3rd.

The next year we did the same and won a heap more (but not as much). It was another great day much like the first year the great mare won.

Last year i was in Hawaii when the great mare won her 3rd in the row and didnt get a chance to back her but tears flowed when she did.

I love Makybe Diva and always will. What a champion she is. I hope she has a lot of foals so i can enjoy watching her little babies run in the years to come.

Thats one of the best posts Ive read here.
Only racing can provide such highs & lows.

I still cant watch Media Puzzle without the goosebumps,TVN showed it today & I was getting the shakes.Didnt back the horse but it wasnt important that day.

Living here most of my life,The Carnival has been life changing.
Ive skipped exams & family weddings,its far more important than that.

The history of the race,the stories,it's so hard to explain it to people.
You get it or you dont.I feel sorry for those that dont.
The whole week is to be celebrated.

As time marches on,I keep expecting that it will become less important.
Just doesnt happen.

Has provided so many great memories & a few sad ones too.
Will never forget 1979 & Dulcify.
Within 10 days Id gone from the highest of highs to the depths of despair.

When Jeune won I was ecstatic for Wayne Harris,a jock Id followed for yrs.
What a reward for a guy who battled illness & life threatening injuries.
Still reckon thats the best Cup ride Ive ever seen,how he got it to run 2 miles is beyond me.

M & P,Saintly,Lets Elope,hard to split them.

seth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put $5 on Brew at $101/1 the year he won. I ended up backing the great old horse Yipiyiyo (wrong spelling) eachway in the cup and it came 2nd. Got a nice little collect anyway.

My dad had a big win taking Saintly in the Coxplate/Melbourne cup double.

I havent made my mind up completely this year. Im thinking Our Smoking Joe though.

sethlad said:
Thats one of the best posts Ive read here.
Only racing can provide such highs & lows.

I still cant watch Media Puzzle without the goosebumps,TVN showed it today & I was getting the shakes.Didnt back the horse but it wasnt important that day.

Living here most of my life,The Carnival has been life changing.
Ive skipped exams & family weddings,its far more important than that.

The history of the race,the stories,it's so hard to explain it to people.
You get it or you dont.I feel sorry for those that dont.
The whole week is to be celebrated.

As time marches on,I keep expecting that it will become less important.
Just doesnt happen.

Has provided so many great memories & a few sad ones too.
Will never forget 1979 & Dulcify.
Within 10 days Id gone from the highest of highs to the depths of despair.

When Jeune won I was ecstatic for Wayne Harris,a jock Id followed for yrs.
What a reward for a guy who battled illness & life threatening injuries.
Still reckon thats the best Cup ride Ive ever seen,how he got it to run 2 miles is beyond me.

M & P,Saintly,Lets Elope,hard to split them.

seth
well said mate :thumbsu:

i've never really got into the cup, i'm more a caulfield guineas/cox plate man, all my best racing memories are around those two races.
i had 20 quid on saintly in a ladbrokes bookie shop in edinburgh scotland and watched in the next day on their monitors. that was probably my favourite memory.

great memories, eh bulldogrob?

Similarly to you, I followed the Diva right through from her Werribee Cup run in 2002. I remember watching her win the Queen Elizabeth by a lip and wondering if she might be something special. I've never had a hunch like that come true before, and I probably never will again.

Absolutely lost it when she won just under a year later. Don't think we'll ever see another one like her.

It's not too often you see a fairytale ending like the one last year- Tony Santic was absolute class for retiring her when he did.

dsc006831at6.jpg

Early this morning as the sun rises at Flemington Race Course

Remove this Banner Ad

Back