Your Next Captain and When

Remove this Banner Ad

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Discussion point on SEN with Matthew Lloyd naming 4 clubs who should consider a change of captain: Essendon, GWS, North, St Kilda

Thought it would be a good discussion to see who club supporters think is their next captain and when they could potentially be replaced.

Current captains and ages as of March 2021 (potential start date of the new season) :
Adelaide: Rory Sloane (31)
Brisbane: Dayne Zorko (32)
Carlton: Patrick Cripps (26)/Sam Docherty (27)
Collingwood: Scott Pendlebury (33)
Essendon: Dyson Heppell (28)
Fremantle: Nat Fyfe (29)
Geelong: Joel Selwood (32)
Gold Coast: David Swallow (28)/Jarrod Witts (28)
GWS: Stephen Coniglio (27)
Hawthorn: N/A (Ben Stratton retired)
Melbourne: Max Gawn (29)
North Melbourne: Jack Ziebell (30)
Port Adelaide: Tom Jonas (30)
Richmond: Trent Cotchin (30)
St Kilda: Jarryn Geary (32)
Sydney: Josh Kennedy (32)/Luke Parker (28) /Dane Rampe (30)
Western Bulldogs: Marcus Bontempelli (25)
West Coast: Luke Shuey (30)

Of those, I'd expect Jack Gunston to lead the Hawks in 2021, followed by James Sicily after that.

From an outsider view, Jack Steele is on the cusp of taking over Jarryn Geary, but isn't in the leadership group. Whether or not that means anything, maybe Steele isn't someone who wants that role? Seb Ross could take over. I'd expect Geary to hand over the captaincy this off-season as a succession plan.

I don't think North have a standout candidate to take over Ziebell. Of an 8 man leadership group in 2020 (so 7 others apart from Ziebell), 2 have been delisted (MacMillan and Pittard), and Higgins is likely to be traded. Tarrant is almost 2 years older, Cunnington is only just younger and isn't a public person (part of any captain role is to fulfill media duties and absorb pressure/criticism for the team). I'd say Ziebell sticks in it for a couple more years before handing it to a younger guy like Jy Simpkin.

Essendon were raised by Lloyd too, interestingly in response Cornes mentioned Merrett. Merrett was booted out of the leadership group at the start of this year and there was much publicity about it. I don't think Heppell loses it based on 1 year of injuries, but happens again in 2021 and certainly McGrath, Merrett, Shiel would be candidates. I think Hurley is too old by then, not sure I rate Smith enough as a leader from the outside to see how he could be nominated.

GWS stick with Coniglio. Cornes suggested Greene as a bolter but I think it'd put unfair publicity on a maligned guy like Greene, are Kelly and Whitfield captain material if Coniglio isn't? Haynes?

Collingwood have an obvious one in Taylor Adams with Scott Pendlebury giving it up either this year or end of 2021 as a succession plan.

Others that I believe could be this off season or end of 2021 are Adelaide with Sloane (Doedee - although will be quite young) , Brisbane with Zorko (Andrews?), Geelong with Selwood (Duncan? Stewart? Surely not much point with Dangerfield) and I believe Josh Kennedy will let Parker and Rampe be dual co-captains.

Everyone else is set for a few years.

Andrew Brayshaw most likely to take the reigns from Fyfe in about 4 years’ time.

Harris Andrews to take over from Dayne Zorko in 2022.

Discussion point on SEN with Matthew Lloyd naming 4 clubs who should consider a change of captain: Essendon, GWS, North, St Kilda

Thought it would be a good discussion to see who club supporters think is their next captain and when they could potentially be replaced.

Current captains and ages as of March 2021 (potential start date of the new season) :
Adelaide: Rory Sloane (31)
Brisbane: Dayne Zorko (32)
Carlton: Patrick Cripps (26)/Sam Docherty (27)
Collingwood: Scott Pendlebury (33)
Essendon: Dyson Heppell (28)
Fremantle: Nat Fyfe (29)
Geelong: Joel Selwood (32)
Gold Coast: David Swallow (28)/Jarrod Witts (28)
GWS: Stephen Coniglio (27)
Hawthorn: N/A (Ben Stratton retired)
Melbourne: Max Gawn (29)
North Melbourne: Jack Ziebell (30)
Port Adelaide: Tom Jonas (30)
Richmond: Trent Cotchin (30)
St Kilda: Jarryn Geary (32)
Sydney: Josh Kennedy (32)/Luke Parker (28) /Dane Rampe (30)
Western Bulldogs: Marcus Bontempelli (25)
West Coast: Luke Shuey (30)

Of those, I'd expect Jack Gunston to lead the Hawks in 2021, followed by James Sicily after that.

From an outsider view, Jack Steele is on the cusp of taking over Jarryn Geary, but isn't in the leadership group. Whether or not that means anything, maybe Steele isn't someone who wants that role? Seb Ross could take over. I'd expect Geary to hand over the captaincy this off-season as a succession plan.

I don't think North have a standout candidate to take over Ziebell. Of an 8 man leadership group in 2020 (so 7 others apart from Ziebell), 2 have been delisted (MacMillan and Pittard), and Higgins is likely to be traded. Tarrant is almost 2 years older, Cunnington is only just younger and isn't a public person (part of any captain role is to fulfill media duties and absorb pressure/criticism for the team). I'd say Ziebell sticks in it for a couple more years before handing it to a younger guy like Jy Simpkin.

Essendon were raised by Lloyd too, interestingly in response Cornes mentioned Merrett. Merrett was booted out of the leadership group at the start of this year and there was much publicity about it. I don't think Heppell loses it based on 1 year of injuries, but happens again in 2021 and certainly McGrath, Merrett, Shiel would be candidates. I think Hurley is too old by then, not sure I rate Smith enough as a leader from the outside to see how he could be nominated.

GWS stick with Coniglio. Cornes suggested Greene as a bolter but I think it'd put unfair publicity on a maligned guy like Greene, are Kelly and Whitfield captain material if Coniglio isn't? Haynes?

Collingwood have an obvious one in Taylor Adams with Scott Pendlebury giving it up either this year or end of 2021 as a succession plan.

Others that I believe could be this off season or end of 2021 are Adelaide with Sloane (Doedee - although will be quite young) , Brisbane with Zorko (Andrews?), Geelong with Selwood (Duncan? Stewart? Surely not much point with Dangerfield) and I believe Josh Kennedy will let Parker and Rampe be dual co-captains.

Everyone else is set for a few years.
Tiges - Vlas.
North - what abt - Zurhaar, strikes me as a likely lad.

Every player on every list could be captain because they are all so special in what they do. Good on them all

Sam Walsh is a 🔒 to be the next Blues Captain. Probably not for another 4 or 5 years though when Cripps and Doc are winding down.

Kid was born to be a leader. The consumate professional

I think Cotchin should have one more year then hand over to take a bit of pressure off. No idea who would take over though, there is no obvious candidate. Maybe Grimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Cotchin should have one more year then hand over to take a bit of pressure off. No idea who would take over though, there is no obvious candidate. Maybe Grimes.

Co-captains? They've already done away with the concepts of leadership groups, just expecting that any senior leader takes on responsibility.

Grimes/Vlastuin would definitely be 2 as an outsider. If Edwards and Houli were 5 years younger they'd be a candidate but at their age they are just unofficial leaders. I wouldn't rule out Lynch or Prestia either.

Taylor Adams should take over from Pendles for next season. Take the pressure off Pendles and let Adams be a fresh voice.

Tom Stewart should take over from Selwood. The Cats are such a mature team they should work on developing a captain for what seems an inevitable rebuild/retool in a few years.

Steele or Steele/Membrey should take over from Geary. Geary might find himself outside the best 22 at times and shouldn't have the burden of the captaincy.

Harris Andrews or Andrews/Neale or Andrews/Zorko should take over from Zorko. Zorko just doesn't seem the right fit at Captain. Andrews seems ready but if there's doubt he can have some mature help.

Liam Duggan perhaps

Liam Ryan I think

Goes well in the media.......................................

:D

Bailey Smith. We've got the youngest captain in the league though, so it could be a while yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back