Preview Your opinion on risers and fallers for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah- we really struggled to beat GWS, West Coast, Melbourne and Richmond. We were clearly out of our depth. Apparently smashing top teams in the heat of a September final doesn't count. :rolleyes: We didn't beat West Coast but they fell over the line in the last two minutes of both finals (one of them on their home turf.) This is hardly the performance of a team struggling against top eight opposition.
Like I said you have to look at who was consistently winning last year, not just a purple patch, I see the Tigers and Eagles as the ones capable of sustaining the effort over a whole season right now, GWS the other team thats done it consistently for 3 years now but is restructuring a lot, the other sides have question marks. Melb and Pies chiefly how they handle a significantly harder draw- maybe 4 more games against opposition that will hunt and hurt them, it's a huge difference in a long, draining season.

Yeah- we really struggled to beat GWS, West Coast, Melbourne and Richmond. We were clearly out of our depth. Apparently smashing top teams in the heat of a September final doesn't count. :rolleyes: We didn't beat West Coast but they fell over the line in the last two minutes of both finals (one of them on their home turf.) This is hardly the performance of a team struggling against top eight opposition.
Nearly,could have, should have- broken record

Into the 8: North, Essendon and Adelaide.

Out of the 8: Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong.

I think Brisbane should improve, but their 5 win 15th was 3 games off 14th and 7 games off 12th, so I don’t think the improvement will translate into any great gains in terms of ladder position.

Essendon were missing a few handy players too, including their all Australian forward.

Also, you mentioned the inside 50 advantage, but neglected to mention that late in the third quarter, thanks to some of the worst umpiring the game has ever seen, eagles had more free kicks than they had points.

But yeah, was those players that only eagles were missing.
Never lost a game all year when both Darling and kennedy played together.13-0

Collingwood may fall a little going from the easiest draw to what could be the hardest draw, not sure Cox can be relied on for 23 games and the backline is not great, very strong mids so wont fall far but I feel they hit the finals full of beans after a difficult year and a few of their b graders were playing well above themselves by the time they played Richmond, then they were exposed by the Eagles who ran all over them once the spell had been broken.

Essendon should rise or heads will fall.
I find it amusing that people have us falling. I'm really not sure what you would base that on considering one of our worst seasons with injury on record and yet we made the GF. I can only assume that those predictions are based on a bus or plane crash!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it amusing that people have us falling. I'm really not sure what you would base that on considering one of our worst seasons with injury on record and yet we made the GF. I can only assume that those predictions are based on a bus or plane crash!
You guys looked dead set to beat us in perth this year with gaj tearing us apart - then he got injured

Thats not going to happen again though is it

You certainly had me confused. I can't remember the last time GAJ played well for us. :D
Buckleys chance of that.

Unless he comes over for a swan-song

Of course hes so old now you would have to get him on de goey to keep up

I cant sier trade happening but.

Firstly I said fall a little, remember you can only rise one position at best.

The reason for my statement is, this year you had the easiest draw of all teams, next year you are tipped to have a much more difficult draw now that won't be known until the end of the year of course but it is likely to be quite a bit harder for you. Add to that the fact you played at your absolute best for 6 quarters against Richmond and then early against WCE only to slip back to what was more the form you showed during the year and allowed WCE to run over you.

Injuries have been an issue or excuse for 6 years at Collingwood, so no reason to think that will change much, seems you may have some problems in the fitness department. I cant see your back line holding up well over the course of the season it is lacking, not to mention your forwards, yes Cox played well in the finals but still only kicked 3 with 1 assist which is ordinary compared to the top forwards, he only averages just above 1 goal a game and 1 assist. Your midfield is top notch but your issues forward and back are a big worry, there was a reason you bid so high for Lynch and then May.

Having said this I still think you will be in the finals just in the 5 to 8 region.

Buckleys chance of that.

Unless he comes over for a swan-song

Of course hes so old now you would have to get him on de goey to keep up

I cant sier trade happening but.
still high on celebratory juices?

McCluggage and Berry would want to become overnight superstars if Brisbane are going to finish as high as people fancy. They’re rolling with one of the weakest midfields in the league still, and that back line still has some serious holes.

I think the two players you mentioned are among those who are about to really step up. They had some big games this year.

Rise: Adelaide, Brisbane, and Essendon.

Fall: Sydney and Port Adelaide (a little)

Saw a predictor on afl.com.au which I can't find now that had every team from this year's finals hovering roughly around where they finished 2018 but Sydney and Hawthorn finishing much lower. If Sydney can make the 8 with Franklin missing a bunch of games and Hawthorn can make the top 4 with their 2018 team why are these two teams going to crash down the ladder?
It's because of our average age suposedly...people can't see passed a few older heads.

When you look at our B&F results though, it's not like the blokes who are 30+ are leading the charge anymore(unlike in 2016 with Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and others).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back