Preview Your opinion on risers and fallers for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Demons fascinate me.

The bookies and the pundits seem to think top 4 is a given. Their list is awesome and they exceeded expectations this year. Made the 8 the hard way, under pressure late in the season, and won 2 finals.

I've no doubt they'll be good, the risk for them is other clubs will be better, I think. They have a an opportunity but it's just that, an opportunity.

Sheedy gave a very poignant and pertinent speech at our club awards in 2015 as we looked to a rosy future. The gist of it was he coached a lot of very good sides, but only reached the pinnacle 3 times.
I’d agree but what I will say is I think adding May and Lever to that defence that played finals should be able to turn us into a legitimate top tier defensive team. If we can do that I think at least post bye rounds we can play like a contending team. Our defence on paper should be close to the top in the competition but the communication has just not really been there especially without Lever.

But the talent level is gradually rising back up in the competition. I’d say our mids are top tier but geelong, colllingwood, Crows, GWS are simply better than us on paper and teams like Bulldogs, Eagles have shown the ability to put us to the sword before based on midfield dominance. Our forward line isn’t anything special after losing Hogan, we have TMac who is a gun and after that not really one AA level forward, more just a good solid but B grade supporting cast and it shows against good defences where we just have to bomb it long. Luckily Petracca has good goal sense but apart from him and maybe Jeffry Garlett no one has truly elite ground level work, and Trac doesn’t play much inside fifty so it’s definitely possible to walk up in defence, stop us from scoring and try to outrun us on the counter and expose our lack of wingers and defensive organisation. The hope is that May can help give us a legitimate defensive structure when the call is walled up in our forward fifty.

Also one more faller: North. They’ve still got a bit of transition to do IMO, Thompson Goldstein did have somewhat resurgent seasons but they aren’t spring chickens. Waite gave them a LOT of goals early which don’t just come from thin air. Not sure I like the Hall and Tyson acquisitions tbh, Polec is a good one. That midfield mix looks a bit all over the place; I would’ve thought Ahern and LDU playing 22 would be more important than getting a mature age inside mid like Tyson but that’s Scott. Would think Scott will start off playing a lot of the experienced guys but hopefully if it turns out poorly he will have the nous to look to the future and get Ahern/LDU/Thomas/Scott/Anderson/Walker/Dumont playing more as a unit which they’ll have to get used to as its likely that group plays a fair few finals

I think Blundstone will again be a fortress of some sorts, but I think surrounding teams will get better too.
Winning 10 games and finishing 13th would technically be a fall but if they find that successor for Goldstein and Thompson, and can head into 2020 with a good idea of their future midfield mix that’s still progress. Great season this year, in my eyes an overachievement reflected by the last five or six weeks(could also reflect a young list without much continuity tbf). Just can’t see as much scope for improvement as other teams given that their most promising guys seem to be in a midfield that is already fairly strong.
Decent analysis. You're right about Brad Scott. He strongly favours maturity and experience and all four acquisitions arrive with about 100 games experience each. The key here is midfield depth. While Dumont and Anderson showed their worth, when Jacobs went down there's little experienced depth as back up. To a lesser degree Hartung on the wing.

Of those you listed, Dumont and Anderson are starting 22. I agree with you regarding Ahern/LDU/Walker; it'd be great to see these guys continue to get game time and Ahern surely will. LDU and Walker are both talents, but would be wearing the sub vest if it was still in vogue. Thomas and Scott may surprise, but more likely will get a game or two each as a 'taster'.

I think the bigger concern is the hole filled by W80. Larkey has the skills but not yet the weight. Daw has found his niche in the backline and Ben McKay is also preferred as a backman. I have concerns if we're looking for JZ and Wood to be sufficient support for Brown. We also need small forwards that provide pressure on the scoreboard, not just in the tackle.

Whether it amounts to falling, I don't know. The more challenging fixture may be as much of an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back