Personal Experience Your own Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never really had any experiences but I've heard plenty from other people. I'll keep an open mind but I'm highly skeptical.

The way I see it is that the human brain is a wonderfully complex organ. If we have a thought that there is something fishy going on or we are fearful, our brain will focus all its energy on finding a threat if it indeed exists and working out how to counter it, otherwise it will prepare us to run away (fight or flight I guess). This focus on identifying a threat leads it to see things it perhaps shouldn't see as a threat or invents something that isn't there.

Our brain also has quite a tremendous capacity to hallucinate. People typically associate hallucinations with drug use, but there's ample evidence that strange noise frequencies, lighting and of course fatigue and other factors can cause all sorts of hallucinations. This and the brains capability to erroneously fill in the gaps as described above could perhaps lead to the sense of the supernatural and even the possibility of seeing ghosts or spirits.

Anyway, that's my take. That likely won't cover every experience and I won't discredit that, however I feel the human brain can very easily fail us and cause us to see, think or feel things that are, in reality, false.

I've never really had any experiences but I've heard plenty from other people. I'll keep an open mind but I'm highly skeptical.

The way I see it is that the human brain is a wonderfully complex organ. If we have a thought that there is something fishy going on or we are fearful, our brain will focus all its energy on finding a threat if it indeed exists and working out how to counter it, otherwise it will prepare us to run away (fight or flight I guess). This focus on identifying a threat leads it to see things it perhaps shouldn't see as a threat or invents something that isn't there.

Our brain also has quite a tremendous capacity to hallucinate. People typically associate hallucinations with drug use, but there's ample evidence that strange noise frequencies, lighting and of course fatigue and other factors can cause all sorts of hallucinations. This and the brains capability to erroneously fill in the gaps as described above could perhaps lead to the sense of the supernatural and even the possibility of seeing ghosts or spirits.

Anyway, that's my take. That likely won't cover every experience and I won't discredit that, however I feel the human brain can very easily fail us and cause us to see, think or feel things that are, in reality, false.

Swamp gas and weather balloons.

I posted this a few years ago on the GD board when a Ghost thread was started and it took me ages to find. Just reading it again after not really thinking about it for a while sends shivers down my spine and it all flooding back.

I have had an experience which i can not explain and really opened my eyes to thought of all things ghosts when it happened as i never use to be a believer before this event......

My older sister when i was 22yo ( I am now 34 ) went overseas to England for 3 months to see an old friend and asked me to house sit and live in her small house in Altona she was renting at the time while she was away. All started off well until one night about 3 weeks in when i was watching T.V around 9pm with my girlfriend after having dinner and having done the dishes etc around 2 hours prior the kitchen light turned on by itself, i got up straight away as it was only myself and my girlfriend in the house and there was no one in there and the light switch was in the ON position which was weird as i remembered turning it off and it had been for at least an hour. I didn't think much of it and thought the switch may of been faulty and clicked down as it was one of those old switches with the big knob or bit you flick to turn on the light. Nothing else happened that night until the morning when i was up at 6am to go work and went into the kitchen only to find an old filing storage box ( paper kind ) in the smack bang middle of the kitchen table which was no way in hell there when i went to bed the that night and i had never seen it before ever and it contained my sisters old Tax receipts and random documents she filed and liked to keep. I was shocked and asked the girlfriend if she got up in the middle of the night and put it there etc but she said she had not and was starting to freak out a bit so i put it away in a spare room and i had no idea where my sister kept it.

Nothing happened again for 2 weeks or so until ( I remember it clearly to! ) i was watching The footy show in bed with the house locked up and all lights off etc around 10pm when i heard a massive bang of pots and pans from the kitchen which sounded like someone had dropped a heap of them on the tiled floor. I immediately got up running into the kitchen with the cricket bat and my girlfriend about to call 000 from the bedroom thinking someone was in the house and there was NOTHING anywhere in the kitchen out of place...... Everything was the way we left it before going to bed and i was astonished as the noise was 100% from our kitchen which was less than 10 steps away in the house and i was really scared and kept thinking WTF and remembered the light episode before and started to get really worked up and frightened as i was struggling to find a decent explanation.

To cut the story short in the 3 months i was living there i heard footsteps at night , doors open in the morning when i knew they were shut before going to bed , taps coming on by themselves ( slow steady stream not gushing ) more strange light events with them turning on during the night and the place was always cold no matter how high you would have the heater at night and struggled to heat the small lounge room. My girlfriend at the time which is now my wife stills talks about that house today and we have not forgotten that 3 months in there.

Anyway when my sister returned i told her all about it and she said she had seen a ghost in the house and could relate to everything i said and she had experienced it as well and did not want to tell me because i would not of stayed there and she had not seen anything strange for 3 months at least before she left for her holiday etc and thought it may of stopped and that filing box she told me use to be kept in the kitchen in a cupboard above the fridge which was never used as the doors were broken on the hinge and she had junk in there that she never used etc not to mention the height of the cupboard which was weird as i had never seen a cupboard above a fridge cavity before and you needed to stand on a chair to get proper access to it. She moved out when her lease expired that year and i still drive past the house today every now and then and it has been empty for the best part of the last 5 years and very run down.

My story anyway and i can swear not 1 word of this is a lie or made up in any way.

Freaky to read through.

I forgot a place I rented with a mate years ago I remember some odd things like our kitchen door ,we never shut being shut one morning. Also remember pot was on stove with water in it and neither myself or mate had put in it. Thankfully I only remember 3 or 4 incidents and nothing ongoing like yours. Could never explain how pot was on stove that neither of us put there. Someone breaking into our house and neither of us noticing seemed very unlikely as we worked very different times so in most cases one of us was home. Would seem odd someone breaking into house, boiling an egg and doing nothing else but probably no more odd than just being a ghost. But even so would expect to hear something or something stolen.

Personally can not think of anything else I experienced of hard to explain goings on in same house.
Also another time I moved as a student closer to where I studied and was told after I move into a room that girl before me swore the room had a ghost in it. She even had a small alter in her room. Anyway, two years there I did not experience anything odd or scary. The only thing that happened was that house was broken into when none of us were home. My room was turned upside down just as others were. Was not ghost. Burglar stole computers and video recorders from other rooms.

I recently went to a group spiritual session where we were to learn about how to deal with stressful situations and meltdowns. The lady running the session is a medium and works for the government from time to time helping them in cases and runs spiritual tours overseas. Anyway for this session she channeled a spirit to advise us and the spirit she channeled was Ghengis Khan. Watching her meditate and to be taken over was amazing, either she is a great actor or it really was Ghengis but her voice was completely different and she just seemed a different person, we were not told until the end who it actually was and there we didn't ask any questions relating to the spirit as the session was simply about dealing with stress. I might add Ghengis is very wise and I got alot from it. Once we finished the channeling we went outside to learn about how placing two exact objects at the entrance to your house helps ward off negative energy. Anyway there were two concrete gargoyles at the driveway and there was a faint yellow light eminating between them. I'm still a partial skeptic and don't know if the light I saw was just my vivid imagination willing it to be there or whether it was, others saw the same colour while some saw nothing. I just have a hard time believing sometimes.

Fair enough. But these people need to decide who's side they are really on if it all goes to s**t.

Personally. I had a palm reading at a fete for $20. The readings/questions were that generic and lame I thought nothing of it.

Later I had a psychic (claimed later) repeat the conversation back (word for word both ways). When I asked how the hell they possibly knew any of that they replied the other street reader had tapped into their consciousness and hence their knowledge (which apart from the original conversation they had no way of personally knowing). Hence I am open minded. Most people on television those in popular culture are complete Charlestons thou.

However deep down the phenomenon does exist imo.

Apart from the appearance, not much after that. Hopefully it feels that it is not welcome in my house.
Ok I'm intrigued.... can you describe the appearance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a visit this evening. Have only just calmed down my daughter. I know where the spirit has come from. A house close by with a history of a lot of pain and suffering. I think the spirit is interested in my daughter.
Would you mind giving a detailed account? Don't pay attention to those who troll, but I'm genuinely interested in your story.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would you mind giving a detailed account? Don't pay attention to those who troll, but I'm genuinely interested in your story.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Now that the trolls have gone I can elaborate.
On this night my daughter was in her bedroom at her desk. On her desk is a mirror. If you have a daughter then you would know that a mirror is a compulsory desk item.
The first inkling she had that something wasn't right was a sudden sense of dread, and then a feeling that she was being watched.
Then in the mirror she saw something - something that looked smoke-like, in that it was whispy and transluscent.
When she turned around she saw a face in the translucent smoke and it scared her so much that she ran from her bedroom.

Things have escalated since then.
The house next door to us is a house of pain. It's been a house with a history of domestic violence and child abuse.
I got to know the family over the years, and learnt about the history of violence against the mother by the Grandmother and the children by the mother until the family was finally evicted by FACS and the Police.
Three years ago it was sold off to a developer who renovated it.
The renovation itself was plagued with problems including fires, collapsing walls and collapsing roofing.
It has since been rented out three times after it's renovaton.
Once to a single woman who left after 3 months.
Once to a family of three who left after the eldest son assaulted the mother and who was removed by Police.
And finally to a woman who was forced to leave because her husband beat her so bad that the husband fled and was later arrested by Police.
It has since been unoccupied for 6 months.
Two days ago, a day after the incident with my daughter, the guy who renovated the house, has moved in.

On this night my daughter was in her bedroom at her desk. On her desk is a mirror. If you have a daughter then you would know that a mirror is a compulsory desk item.
The first inkling she had that something wasn't right was a sudden sense of dread, and then a feeling that she was being watched.
Then in the mirror she saw something - something that looked smoke-like, in that it was whispy and transluscent.
When she turned around she saw a face in the translucent smoke and it scared her so much that she ran from her bedroom.

The house next door to us is a house of pain. It's been a house with a history of domestic violence and child abuse.
I got to know the family over the years, and learnt about the history of violence against the mother by the Grandmother and the children by the mother until the family was finally evicted by FACS and the Police.
The renovation itself was plagued with problems including fires, collapsing walls and collapsing roofing.
Once to a family of three who left after the eldest son assaulted the mother and who was removed by Police.
And finally to a woman who was forced to leave because her husband beat her so bad that the husband fled and was later arrested by Police.
Two days ago, a day after the incident with my daughter, the guy who renovated the house, has moved in.
Jesus, where do you live, Beirut?

Wait,so during renovating a house,apparent unforseeable building issues occurred and we can only assume that supernatural forces were at work instead of unforseeable building regulations perhaps not being met?
And therefore the ghost has now apparently moved onto a more stable environment on which to cast its destructive motivations?
Sounds completely legit!:huh:

You mentioned a piano before. Why do you think this "spirit" is attracted to your daughter because she plays the piano?

It has been noted that renovations, especially significant renovations, may be the precursor to such activity.

This is not to say that the incident related above actually happened. As I was not there, I cannot say one way or the other.

But renovations have been stated to trigger strange activity.

To paraphrase a great man, there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio.

A lot of these comments have been made a few years back but i thought the need to comment on 2 things.
Ghosts and the paranormal. Why are ghost and most paranormal stories only evil & scary. Where are all the nice happy ghosts. Aliens why do they always have to be here to do us harm or scare us. I guess the happy ones don't make great ghost stories.

Sleep paralysis. The scientific, the wiki explanations and the posters here that believe they know what it is, what a load of rubbish. Sleep paralysis is not due to hallucinations. What most don't understand including the science community (although not all scientists) is that we all have a physical self and a non physical self. When we die our physical self dies but the non physical self does not. Sleep paralysis occurs when your non physical self has not completely detached itself from the physical this is what causes sleep paralysis. It has absolutely nothing do to do with your mind. The beings and the experiences that are experienced in this state are real they are just in a different vibration state than what we are currently.
So even though i don't believe in ghosts in the way they have been explained here. We can and do move from this vibration state into others so I have no doubt the beings from different vibration states can move from theirs into ours. If you want to call these beings ghosts you can but most are just like us they just don't have a physical self which is why they appear as ghosts or spirits.

Last edited:
A lot of these comments have been made a few years back but i thought the need to comment on 2 things.
Ghosts and the paranormal. Why are ghost and most paranormal stories only evil & scary. Where are all the nice happy ghosts. Aliens why do they always have to be here to do us harm or scare us. I guess the happy ones don't make great ghost stories.

Sleep paralysis. The scientific, the wiki explanations and the posters here that believe they know what it is, what a load of rubbish. Sleep paralysis is not due to hallucinations. What most don't understand including the science community (although not all scientists) is that we all have a physical self and a non physical self. When we die our physical self dies but the non physical self does not. Sleep paralysis occurs when your non physical self has not completely detached itself from the physical this is what causes sleep paralysis. It has absolutely nothing do to do with your mind. The beings and the experiences that are experienced in this state are real they are just in a different vibration state than what we are currently.
So even though i don't believe in ghosts in the way they have been explained here. We can and do move from this vibration state into others so I have no doubt the beings from different vibration states can move from theirs into ours. If you want to call these beings ghosts you can but most are just like us they just don't have a physical self which is why they appear as ghosts or spirits.
I think people are scared because they don't understand what is happening.

I've had many premonitions about future events in my dreams....Was dreaming about the twin tower collapse way back in the mid-to-late 1980's.

Mostly just small things, like being in a certain place & getting de-ja-vu years later, when it comes to pass.

Many times I'll have off-the-cuff convo's about a famous person or particular place, only for that person to die the next day, or a major 'event' happen in said place.

My grand-mother committed suicide, so whether that is a factor in this 'negative death & catastrophe' foreknowledge I'm not sure....It's always intuitive & never willful....It just comes to me.

I've not witnessed anything myself, but a number of people I know told me about some things they allegedly witnessed.
Bullsh*t or not, some of the things I've been told had me absolutely stunned to this day.

Personally, I think that a lot of idiots make up bullsh*t for some stupid reason or another, but I'm convinced that there are some things that have been seen/experienced that can't be readily explained. But one thing I do is have a long, hard look at people's motives, and whether or not this person is "trustworthy" (e.g. has past form for lying).

One interesting thing I learnt about lying/dishonesty/deceit, all that sorta thing....I saw in some video or documentary ages ago. To be a truly skilled liar, a person needs to have a really good memory, and this is not as easy it sounds - not by a long shot. If you're clever, logical, and subtle....you can use this to catch them out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back