Your own personal Essendon history...

Remove this Banner Ad

oh... it wasnt really that good

excpet for the commentary!, and all the games! - and the famous players! and the free give aways! and..

..it wasnt really that good. ;)
I heard you got to design your own footy card. Was that true? Being on a footy card was a dream of mine :(

A mate of mine showed me his commentary video. I was so jealous I nearly threw acid in his face:mad:

The 93 comeback against Adelaide. I retire to the shed at half-time, and proceed to belt the punching bag. At some point I hit it so hard that it splinters the old wood it is attached to, and a bunch of beams and corrugated iron falls all around (and on) me. I return inside, barely thinking about the game now that I've destroyed a significant part of our property ... Didn't mention anything to parents. Great, great comeback. Up until recently I thought that I had contributed to the comeback
Hah, I can relate to this. I would have been 8 years old when this game was played and when we were getting our arses kicked, I donned my long sleeve Bomber jumper with the number 8 on the back, went into the backyard and started kicking goals (between 2 massive gum trees), pretended that I was clutching the game. When I found out we were actually coming back, I did not stop until the game was over - I also thought I was responsible in some way.

Hah, I can relate to this. I would have been 8 years old when this game was played and when we were getting our arses kicked, I donned my long sleeve Bomber jumper with the number 8 on the back, went into the backyard and started kicking goals (between 2 massive gum trees), pretended that I was clutching the game. When I found out we were actually coming back, I did not stop until the game was over - I also thought I was responsible in some way.
...and who just happened to kick six that day?

Boris!

its funny, for me 93 still has so many strong memories, like i can barely remember most of 2000 but 93 i still have intimate memory of particular moments, even pieces of commentary are just etched in my mind - its funny that it was over 20 years ago but its still there fresh. It may well be because i watched the bomber blitz video every night for a decade - or i was still a young impressionable mind... but that year is still in there, on my hightlights package reel when i go off with the fairies...

heres 93 for me:

rd 1 v WCE - i was so so proud, we just wouldnt go away against the premiership fancy - Bewick kicked 8 but was doing that thing where he would run into an open goal and dribble it into the fence then grab it and run back to the centre himself. in full control of the game! Robbo was saying Mercuri is such a great young player, huge talent!

rd 2 v carl - ofcourse we all rememebr it for the missted sticks post siren kick but if im not mistaken Mark Harvey tore his hammy pretty badly in this game and was being hidden forward, he kicked a cruical goal outside 50 to really rip in further in the last quater, then he chased down a guy with a last ditch tackle while robbo screamed, LOOK OUT! HARVEYS GOT YOU!

Rds 3-4 & 5 are hazy, although i remember it blowing an abosulte gale at Footscray

Rd 6 - the ablett salmon shoot out - salmon does well, does very well, does extremley well!, and there was the oft forgotten but special oh wanganeeeeen, what a speckie! when he took that great speckie on tim mcgrath then knocked himself out on the way down.

rd10 v the lions, doss first game! was goal for goal all night til Watson iced it - this will bring the stand down! cries Bruce as the ball floats thru

rd11 hawks - oh jimmy boy, youre a little champion you are! bruces first infatuation - and there was also nostradamus bruce... you just get a feeling about a side sometimes, dont you? they are going like good things. This era was also famous for the someville western style moustache.

rd13 tigers - wanganeen kicks a freak soccer goal from the boundary line at pace - brad plain kicks five in a massive show with bulk finger licks

rd14 vs the lions in a torrent of rain, somerville kicked 4, i rememebr thinking ahh, the weather has brought everyone down to his level.

rd15 vs norf - top of the table norf, we put on a great display early, symons came of age taking a few great marks but carey put on a masterclass in the last to rip it away - this put us perilously close to missing finals.

rd16 eagles - what a game! big memories of kickett marking insdie the centre square, cue mckenna - ooo i hope he goes the big torpedo punt kick, if he does it will clear the fence - oh pete scoffs drew.. hes gone for it, hes got onto it, ohh, OHH a ripper! , a goal! ... you laughed! he snarls to drew.. Salmon kicking horrible all day has the chance off his own boot... dosernt let us down, wanganeed with the bravest mark flying back with the flight - sheedy waving the jacket.. top top game keeping our year alive.

rd 17 v the blues - one of those windy old days where there was rubbish all over the mcg swirling.. the only guy to capitalise was wily old watson who kick ed 4

rd20 v dogs - the kickett masterclass, kicks 8 from, ff - probably the last kick he got all year...

injuries then ravaged us in the last game at geelong, threatening to throw our finals campaighn into jeapordy - we were forcved to go into the first final with guys like todd ridley, alan ezard and the like if im not mistaken, still only lost by 2 points !

i pause now for work - but the finals loom large.

I was at the 93 Prelim - my old man and I sitting amongst a throng of Crows supporters for some reason. At half time the AFL awarded Gary Ablett his Coleman medal on a dais on the wing and the Crow supporter next to me says' Who's that?' Derp.

I was at that ripper game too. We were in the top tier of the Ponsford. A couple of rows in front of us were the entire Carlton team, watching to see who they would be playing next week.
At the end of the game there was a couple of concerned looking faces, rightly so!

Thanks Howard that was a great read.

I am 1977 vintage.

What you mention about Timmys face entering the ground for the 90GF - reminds me of something zidane said "sometimes you feel the script has already been written when you enter the stadium." I just knew in my guts we would lose even when Fish kicked that early goal.

My first memories were of the 83GF. I missed 84 and 85 because of my mum taking me to the royal show on those days but remembered hearing we won on the radios there and was stoked. Favorite player was Leon Baker followed by TD. Leon still my favorite all time player and would love to somehow get a jumper signed by him. For some reason as a young kid I was obsessed with Sheeds. First and last time I cried over footy was when we lost to Fitzroy in the 86 EF - I listened to it on a radio. My dad calmed me down by saying that we had injuries and would be back but I knew the era was over. He was a Pies supporter and i had to leave the house during the 90GF and mum still remembers the fights that day. First game ever went to being a Perth boy was when we narrowly lost to the powerful WCE in 93 at subi, Boris kicked a bag and Hird had the ball on a string playing at full back. But I do feel we lost something great with the loss of suburban footy and I am always on the look for info from the 84/85 era.

i wonder if that was the game in tassie that doc Weildon busted his leg in maybe his first game for us? did i make that up or did it happen?

The Doc broke his leg in King street early one morning (late one night) before playing a game with us. Was an interesting character, the Doc...

The Doc broke his leg in King street early one morning (late one night) before playing a game with us. Was an interesting character, the Doc...
Walked into a drunk Taxi...LOL

Awesome thread Howard..will try to find some time to reply with my version from 1977 onwards..Loved some of the yarns here, cheers folks..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure my dad would have had me sleeping in the garage if I supported anyone else, so my history is purely family reasons.

My first "love" was Wayne Primmer and I have no idea why. I just googled his footy card photo and it can't have been cause he looked cool. in my hazy 7 yr old memory I vaguely recall asking him for an autograph at 1/4 time at the Lakeside in a 2s game and being rewarded with a GF!

Moved on to Timmy and stuck with him through the Monday morning primary school ritual of "what happened to Essendon".

Then came the great TD still my favourite number 5. Watching him twice hold the cup aloft cemented my love for ever.

From memory Primmer burst onto the scene and kicked 18 goals in the first three rounds of 1977 or 1978. Primmer learnt the KB art of throwing the ball out front, when about to be tackled.

Last edited:
I briefly had Wayne Primmer as my avatar. It's a name you don't hear often. :)
As I kid I remember liking him a lot as he was tiny and a real goalsneak.
Same reason I like Tony Buhagier. (And for also throwing Bruce Doull's headband into the crowd)

Some great stories!

I started following the Bombers when I was about 5-6. My Dad was right into it and made sure I had no option but to don the red and black. My first memories of the footy were at Waverley Park in the late 90’s, although my only vivid memories are of Tony Lockett and a steep as s**t walk to get into the ground. I started Auskick when I was six, but never found a genuine love of playing the game, I much preferred athletics. I played football for six years and hung up the boots once I started High School. Since then I have played school footy and a few games for my local club when numbers have been required.

When my parents divorced in 2000, my Mum wanted to make sure we had some quality time together. Friday Night Footy was our thing. I recall watching the Tigers a fair bit. They were a very popular team when I was in prep/grade 1 and I took an early liking to Darren Gaspar. I’m glad I snapped out of this hallucination and kept the sash red and not yellow! I remember the 11 point loss to the Doggies in round 21 ending our undefeated streak. It was a soul destroying feeling, but the glory that soon followed comfortably outweighed that disappointment.

My fondest memories of Essendon began once the Colonial Stadium was completed. My Dad started taking me to the games, and I very quickly fell in love with the club. James Hird, Scott Lucas and Dustin Fletcher were all idols, but Matthew Lloyd was my hero. I remember looking up at the screen and seeing AGE:24 and realising how much longer he will be around (what a shame the day eventually came). I was lucky enough to be at many of his milestones. Mark of the year, goal of the year, 900th goal and his final game with the brutal KO to Brad Sewell. He will forever be my favourite player!

Between 2002 and now I have been to about 100 games. I try to get to as many games as possible and refuse to let the last four years of drama or taunting from friends and colleagues get in my way. I’m excited to see the likes of Zach Merrett, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Fantasia, Parish and many other breakout stars partner up with our boys that are patiently waiting. I love this club, always have and always will.

From memory Primmer burst onto the scene and kicked 18 goals in the first three rounds of 1977 or 1978. Primmer learnt the KB art of throwing the ball out front, when about to be tackled.
Bump.

Wayne Primmer came up an a YouTube video yesterday and I saw that he kicked 7 goals on 3 occasions early in the 78 season. Do you recall why Primmer left to play in SA after only 3 season? He was in the same age bracket as Madden, Neagle and Watson and he might’ve been another in the 84-85 frame along with Ian Marsh, Buhagiar and Neale Daniher who could have been a premiership player in a sliding doors scenario.

Maybe he was just a flash in the pan??

Bump.

Wayne Primmer came up an a YouTube video yesterday and I saw that he kicked 7 goals on 3 occasions early in the 78 season. Do you recall why Primmer left to play in SA after only 3 season? He was in the same age bracket as Madden, Neagle and Watson and he might’ve been another in the 84-85 frame along with Ian Marsh, Buhagiar and Neale Daniher who could have been a premiership player in a sliding doors scenario.

Maybe he was just a flash in the pan??

I was wondering about this last week, coincidently.
He was a really talented player & I often wonder why he left, he was surely good enough to keep playing - he was only 20 when he played his last game..!
Maybe he got a better offer money-wise in SA??
I'm going to try to find out about this..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back