Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Expectations people.

We all have them. We expect our team to be competitive. We expect this club to hold itself in the manner we have become accustomed to. Some of us expect too much. Others too little. So time for some opinions on the matter until this lull known as preseason ends and the next year commences.

[Position]
I expect us to finish top 4 again. I fail to see any reason why we cant match this seasons output of a top 4 and Preliminary final. Can we do better? Who knows, luck is a bitch and this year we were hers. But the minimum is to match last season.

[Players]
I expect Duncan to learn from the mistakes of his Preliminary final, and with experience under his belt he will go up a level this season.
I expect we will find out a lot more about the next tier of kids and talent we have coming through, mainly Kersten.
And i expect Vardy to impress everyone with some commanding performances at CHF and as a 2nd ruck, which is the role he should play.
I expect Enright will retire at years end and i expect speculation that Kelly will go too.

[Off-Field]
I expect nothing here. We aren't St Kilda after all.

Anyone else want to have a crack at this?

[Position]
Happy with top 6, top 4 not out of the question. Anything more would be absolute bonus points.

[Players]
Daniel Menzel to play an AFL game. Just one in 2014.
Dawson Simpson to become a consistent, talented ruckman that wins more hitout counts than he loses.
Steven Motlop All Australian.

[Off-Field]And_ROOS didn't get the memo - we actually missed out on Heath Shaw.

POSITION

Top 4 anything less is a failure. Harsh but if you want to win the flag then top 4 is a must. Finishing 5-8 would still be acceptable as some young kids will still get finals experience but we are not about mediocrity.

PLAYERS

The young kids that have been earmarked to replace the likes of Corey, Chap, Pods and Hunt. Your opportunity is here now you must grab it and prove your worth. I talk about the likes of Horlin Smith, Thurlow, Schroder, Smedts, Hunt, Kersten etc.

Also guys like Duncan, Christensen and Guthrie must make the next step up to another level.

Our rucks, we need you. Simpson you showed good signs now is your time. McIntosh, just play some games please.

OFFIELD

A profit would be good.
Some signs that Shane O'Bree can do something constructive with our stoppages.
Offield are the least of our concerns.

OFFIELD

A profit would be good.
Some signs that Shane O'Bree can do something constructive with our stoppages.
Offield are the least of our concerns.

I'd be more focused on how good the actual players are, rather than believing the coaches possess magical secrets. It could just be - in my opinion it is - that the midfielders aren't as good as we think they are.

Top 8 is the minimum, Top 4 the goal

I hope McIntosh can play some decent consistent football and justify the investment.
Farewell a couple more of the golden generation.

Some luck with the MRP

So hard to set a pass mark for this year. One side of me thinks that we we were a kick away from a (very winnable) grand final, so the pass mark should really be to improve at least a little, and to at least feature in the grand final.

On the other hand, we have lost a lot of experience this year, and over the last few years, and also have a lot of young players who have not quite reached that stage of their careers where we can expect a consistent output (not to mention our fair share of older players who may begin/continue their natural decline). So the other part of me thinks that we may start to see the slide that has been predicted for years.

All that said, I still think our list and depth is good enough to finish in the 8, so that would be my minimum pass mark at this stage. I will probably reassess this during the bye week in round 8, having played Adelaide, Brisbane (A), Collingwood, West Coast, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide (A) and Richmond. Decent test.

Our first game back from the bye is Fremantle over there, and I would say that my expectations going in to that game will be a pretty decent reflection of my overall expectations.

POSITION:
I'd expect out 14-15 wins which might just nab 4th spot but likely leaves us 5th or 6th. Think the club moving on Pods and Chappy suggests that they didn't think we were in premiership contention next year.

PLAYERS:
Want to see Smedts step up and become a valuable contributor at senior level. Just needs to improve his decision making and not try to do too much.

Would love to see HMac get out on the field and for Simpson to be fit. Would be handy to have 2 first choice ruckmen up and about.

Interseted to see how McCarthy will go if he can get a full pre season done. Have only seen him play 1/4 when he came on as the sub but was able to win his own ball and seemed to have something about him. Was surprised he was dropped the week after, I believe a foot injury derailed his 2013 so hopefully he gets a good crack at it next season.

OFF FIELD:
Can't foresee any significant changes.

[Position]
Top 8, not expecting top 4. A year to blood the youth.

[Players]
I want to see a quantum improvement in the young brigade comparing the start of the season to the end of the season
I want to see Varcoe react to the kick up the pants of being put on the trade table
I really want to see Simpson & HMac fighting for the no1 ruck posi

[Off-Field]
consolidate financial security

a pass mark is a premiership, to settle for anything less is the geelong of old.

The Geelong of 2012, 2013 is not old.
Where we finished those years were not aberrations, imo, but reality.
I want to see improved form from THunt, TV, Smedts, Duncan, Murdoch, Vardy and Caddy
I want to see improved attitude towards ridiculous suspensions from those who should know better, and by effect, all our list.
I want to see HMc, and DS fight it out weekly for the #1 spot, but I can't EXPECT that.
I want to see senior games regularly for Kersten, Bews, Brown, Cowan, McCarthy
I want to see McStay tear it up in the VFL as a CHB/CHF.
I EXPECT to see a really interesting season from Geelong 2014, with a bit of everything, and anywhere in the top 8 is acceptable.
(And I would love to see Blicavs continue with his rate of improvement)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Position - Grannie for me. Given our list changes over the last two periods + Mac, Rivers, Caddy - Chappy (it still hurts a bit to type this ffs), Smithy, Jpod and JHunt I expect them to pay off.

Players - Menz to return and survive. Duncan, Bundy, Caddy to be nearing elite. Rivers to cement spot. Kersten and Blitz to improve.

Off field no dramas.

A couple of BJ's.
A couple of golf wins.

And...................................nope...thats about it.

Top 4 is a must. Not much between Hawks, Cats, Dockers and Swans and doubt that will change next year. Dont think any of the teams below are good enough to challenge these sides.

Kersten, Caddy, Thurlow all to be established regulars.
McIntosh and Simpson to have injury free seasons.
GHS, Smedts, Schroder and Stringer to push for more time in the midfield.
Somebody stands up and takes on the responsability of playing a stay home small defender.

Would love to add Scott Watters as our midfield coach. Hopefuly O'Bree goes to Carlton.

No chance. Won't miss the 8 next year.
Maybe 2015 if the kids dont lift.

Top 4 is a must. Not much between Hawks, Cats, Dockers and Swans and doubt that will change next year. Dont think any of the teams below are good enough to challenge these sides.

Kersten, Caddy, Thurlow all to be established regulars.
McIntosh and Simpson to have injury free seasons.
GHS, Smedts, Schroder and Stringer to push for more time in the midfield.
Somebody stands up and takes on the responsability of playing a stay home small defender.

Would love to add Scott Watters as our midfield coach. Hopefuly O'Bree goes to Carlton.
We won't beat any of them next year.

That is taken care of automatically if you don't get yourself in trouble in the first place.

That's a whole other thread right there...
I'm not saying its a conspiracy but 50/50s seemed more likely to be cited if it was a Geelong player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back