Your personal best & worst Swans moments outside of a GF

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't name one of each. Way too hard.

Best:

- Beating Carlton at Carlton in 1996
- Plugger kicking 16 at the Western Oval
- Our only win of 1993 against the Dees. Richard Osborne kicked 10.
- The comeback against North in 1999 (I think). Kelly broke those tackles to kick a great goal. Maxfield cape up with the winner.
- Plugger's point
- Davo in the semi
- Kicking 7 goals to none in the last quarter of the 2005 PF to sink the Saints.
- 2003 QF vs Port. Still the most enjoyable game I've attended.
- 2006 QF vs WC
- Kelly's comeback game in the West

Worst:

- Plugger going berserk against us and eroding a 9 goal lead
- Alessio's late goal at Docklands when we'd been in front all day
- Paul Hudson breaking our hearts with a late goal at Waverley. Lockett had put us in front moments earlier.
- 2001 EF vs Hawthorn
- 2010 SF vs Footscray

Best:

- Beating Carlton at Carlton in 1996
- Plugger kicking 16 at the Western Oval
- Our only win of 1993 against the Dees. Richard Osborne kicked 10.
- The comeback against North in 1999 (I think). Kelly broke those tackles to kick a great goal. Maxfield cape up with the winner.
- Plugger's point
- Davo in the semi
- Kicking 7 goals to none in the last quarter of the 2005 PF to sink the Saints.
- 2003 QF vs Port. Still the most enjoyable game I've attended.
- 2006 QF vs WC
- Kelly's comeback game in the West

Worst:

- Plugger going berserk against us and eroding a 9 goal lead
- Alessio's late goal at Docklands when we'd been in front all day
- Paul Hudson breaking our hearts with a late goal at Waverley. Lockett had put us in front moments earlier.
- 2001 EF vs Hawthorn
- 2010 SF vs Footscray

Great list.

The 16 that Plugger kicked at Western Oval... oh, the memories. What a beast he was

The comeback against North in 1999 (I think). Kelly broke those tackles to kick a great goal. Maxfield cape up with the winner.

Classic. Rd 4 1999 was the game when Stafford went down at the outset and a young newbie called Adam Goodes, having played only 3 games, had to go up against the in-form ruck of the competition (117 gamer Corey McKernan). Goodes had 12 hitouts to McKernan's 30 but, more importantly, he curbed Corey's output to just 13 possessions and added a few telling possessions of his own. I remember Goodes leaping over the top of McKernan, landing heavily on his wrist and still playing out the game with a serious injury. He was reputed to have vomited from exhaustion on the way home. More so than his rising star nomination in Rd 2, Rd 4 1999 was the night Goodes made a statement that he was going to be a star for our club.

Was it the game also against North? where Cresswell got a dubious high free kick after the siren and kicked the goal for us to win.

I think Eade was still coaching us.

That was Round 4? 2002

Back to the 1999 game, the strange one about that was we were without Plugger and it showed in the 1st half and then we came home on fire. Kelly's bob and weave goal the stand out, but Maxfield's to take the lead was brilliant also.

Highlight: Davis's four final quarter goals to steal the Semi-Final against the Cats in 2005. Worth re-living.

Lowlight: Sitting in the rain watching the dismal effort against the Giants Rd1 2014. Worth forgetting. The storm was the best part of the day....

High: The final quarter of the 2005 Prelim against St Scum
Low: Most of the early 90's watching 'stars' like Simon Minton-Connell and Jayson Daniels turn it on in front of crowds of 100-200 swans supporters.

Highlight: Going to the the 96 GF . David Kings knees into O'brien's head had a say in the result
Lowlight : Coming home from the 96 GF

High apart from finals, two games stand out for me both from 1986. Beating reigning premiers essendon at windy hill when trailing by 4 goals at half time. And also beating Collingwood at vic park by a point when trailing by 30 points at 3 quarter time. Barry mitchell kicking the winner.

Low same season 1986 losing both finals at mcg to carlton and fitzroy. We finished second and had to play both games there. Lost by 11 and 5 points. Funny how people forget the injustices dealt to swans before cola etc.

Highlight: Going to the the 96 GF . David Kings knees into O'brien's head had a say in the result
Lowlight : Coming home from the 96 GF

Welcome to the board lakesidebloods (good name). (Mostly) friendly bunch here. Go and introduce yourself on the intro thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's really new and not someone with a new account as does happen
I like the idea of having an extra avatar. Someone to 'like' my posts, someone to bump my threads but mostly just someone intelligent to talk to.

I think my 3K will be good here

Pro: The 2012 finals series. We went into that series being told we were filling the numbers (quote from a mate). We lost to all 3 of the other top 4 sides earlier in the season and had just been 1-3 to finish the season. We destroyed Adelaide in Adelaide after being told it was never gonna happen. We beat Collingwood at ANZ after being told it was never gonna happen. We beat the dammed Hawks at the MCG after being told it was never going to happen. We broke so many "Sydney can't win in x situations" it was the most beautiful moment I've had as a Sydney fan.

Con: Seeing what happened to ROK would probably be it. Such a champion. Worked so hard but just looked lost. Could've used his tackles later in the year though.

High apart from finals, two games stand out for me both from 1986. Beating reigning premiers essendon at windy hill when trailing by 4 goals at half time. And also beating Collingwood at vic park by a point when trailing by 30 points at 3 quarter time. Barry mitchell kicking the winner.

Low same season 1986 losing both finals at mcg to carlton and fitzroy. We finished second and had to play both games there. Lost by 11 and 5 points. Funny how people forget the injustices dealt to swans before cola etc.

I like the injustice angle. Let me continue the theme:

Lows:

We traded out at the end of 1977, a couple of Riverina lads for an Essendon wozzer. Nifty even returned to the Bombers having successfully pulled off what should be considered the biggest transfer heist of all time. Terry plays over three hundred games and plays in a couple of premiership teams.And it continues with young Joe who could equally have been a father son swan.

We had first dibs in the 1990 National draft on a couple of boys from Canberra. We let Essendon choose first because we recognised the importance of family ties to a footy Club. Great player whosr courage and leadership was of the highest order. Now embroiled in an affair which will tarnish his high gloss forever.Why are we always so ethically pure? Will the same level of courtesy be extended to us over a young scion called Dunkley.

How clever were we when we had a NSW priority pick and overlooked a NSW schoolboy who went on to play a few games with North Melbourne and holds aloft the Cup a couple of times?

The trading out of Greg Williams and David Rhys Jones to Carlton. Swans raped at the trade table yet again. Both play in a winning Premiership team. Just not ours.

We trade for an ageing Shwotter and give up Shannon Grant. He plays in a winning Premiership team for them and a losing grand final team for us.

We trade out Peter Caven who then plays in two Premiership teams.

The forced trade of Mummy. Yet the AFL do not acknowledge that cost to us, to get Buddy.

Highs:

Tommy Hafey joins the Swans and brings a couple of winners. Hard hitting back flanker in Bernard Toohey and a centreman who can lay claim to being one of the best that the game has ever seen.

Trade the little saveloy and gain a daisy from Collingwood. Who'd a thought we would end up the winner?

Watching Williams and Rhys Jones fist dancing when they played in opposing teams.

I like the injustice angle. Let me continue the theme:

Lows:

How clever were we when we had a NSW priority pick and overlooked a NSW schoolboy who went on to play a few games with North Melbourne and holds aloft the Cup a couple of times?

We trade for an ageing Shwotter and give up Shannon Grant. He plays in a winning Premiership team for them and a losing grand final team for us.

Didn't we also throw in a future Coleman medallist (Horse) as the 'steak knives' ? Although it might have been the other way around.

Maybe we lost in the Grant trade but you have to love your players. Shannon Grant was a talented but complete girly mummy's boy. Schwass was exciting. He had that brilliant raking long kick and such daring and dash. He & Stuey Mayfield were two of best run, carry and boot long boys in the business. I loved watching him play. First time I saw us beat WC in Perth it was with Schwass in the team and he tore them a new one. Granted his best was mostly behind him but I never missed Sharon Grant (or that big nosed Italian tosser who crawled off to his brother at the Pies).

Didn't we also throw in a future Coleman medallist (Horse) as the 'steak knives' ? Although it might have been the other way around.

Maybe we lost in the Grant trade but you have to love your players. Shannon Grant was a talented but complete girly mummy's boy. Schwass was exciting. He had that brilliant raking long kick and such daring and dash. He & Stuey Mayfield were two of best run, carry and boot long boys in the business. I loved watching him play. First time I saw us beat WC in Perth it was with Schwass in the team and he tore them a new one. Granted his best was mostly behind him but I never missed Sharon Grant (or that big nosed Italian tosser who crawled off to his brother at the Pies).
Also loved the Schwotter. Started his senior footy journey here in South Warrnambool. Shannon Grant - early prototype for the attacking half back. My issue is that North had Schwotter for the best part of his career and they had Grant as well. Sydney was not a destination footy club, it was a nursing home for the elderly and a midwifery for babes. All part of our history now. Let's hope it remains consigned there.

Best memories:
- My first ever live game. Rd 20 2005 v Brisbane at Stadium Australia
- All 4 preliminary finals, particularly the 2006 one
- Rd 20 2014 v Port. Revenge for the year before
Worst memories:
- Rd 13, 2013 v Port. First time I'd ever travelled to an away game, was my only game at Footy Park ever. Just rolled over in the last quarter. Weren't many fans there but those that were there were unbearable at the end.
- Rd 1, 2014 v Giants. I was literally speechless after that.

Also loved the Schwotter. Started his senior footy journey here in South Warrnambool. Shannon Grant - early prototype for the attacking half back. My issue is that North had Schwotter for the best part of his career and they had Grant as well. Sydney was not a destination footy club, it was a nursing home for the elderly and a midwifery for babes. All part of our history now. Let's hope it remains consigned there.

I agree. These days we seem to be much better at identifying talent in its early years with a view to offering a life line to an otherwise unrecognised or under-appreciated player. Craig Bolton, Marty Mattner, Ben McGlynn, Shane Mumford and Josh Kennedy are such examples. They're old enough to have been weaned from their mother's bosom (unlike Shannon Grant) but with their best years still well ahead of them (unlike Brett Allison & Nick Daffy). Being excluded from the last draft concerned me more for its effect on denying us access to such players than for its dashing our hopes of trading for another strong key position player (though I regret the missed opportunity to piss off GWS and the AFL). At least we can now get back to doing what we do best, that is, growing our own and nurturing discards from the bloated lists of those clubs fortunate enough to be surrounded by local talent.

We may not be much good at picking first rounders but we seem have a knack for picking in the tail end of the draft.

High: Beating Collingwood in the 2012 Prelim to make GF, nothing more satisfying then knocking that mob out of the contest.
Micky O's 300th game vs. Richmond at the MCG
Beating Essendon by a point where we were 7 goals up at 3 qtr time a couple of years ago, just a high that we were able to hang on and they ran out of time.
Low: MCG vs. Melbourne R17 2010. It started off bad with a clear 'hit the post' by Nathan Jones that the goal umpire clearly missed. Our day was set after that, 70+ point loss. vs Richmond at the MCG on those occasions can also be added to the Low/Worst games I have watched.
Conversely, losing to Essendon where Goodesy had the chance to win the game for us after the siren and kicked a behind at Docklands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back