Unofficial Preview Your Player to Watch in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Vardy.

Nic Nat is not going to contribute this year, not at the level we have become accustomed to, even if he does get back playing this year. Lycett, is starting to concern me with his propensity to get injured and who knows how long he will take to recover from this shoulder issue, compounded by an already limited pre-season. It doesn't bode well. Giles is...well, Giles. He'll compete in the ruck but will struggle around the ground. Vardy I think gives us some contestability in the ruck. He will lose more hitouts than he wins but he'll compete and he will make opposition rucks more accountable around the ground. They will have to work hard to cover him. He seems like he has got some speed for a big fella, can find himself some space, has the skills and talent to make use of that space/mismatch when he finds it. If nothing else, he draws away the ruck into a flank or a pocket and allows better leads for Kennedy and Darling without the opposition ruck getting in the way.

If everything goes super and we get Lycett and/or Nic Nat back at their best, then he provides a fantastic fwd/ruck option. He brings so much flexibility to our structure. He is a good mark and kick for goal and will free up Kennedy to play a bit higher up the ground while he plonks himself deep (or vice versa). And the knock on effect will be that he allows JD to play that third tall high half forward. He will bring a different dimension to our forward line, one that poor Mitch Brown was expected to bring, but ultimately couldn't. I think a pretty potent forward line will become even more potent.

And if we could just get Willie at their collective feet mopping up... glory be!

My pick is Dom Sheed.

Big fan of his so was very disappointed he was injured as much as he was last year.
His return last year coincided with our best run of the year last year, I don't think that is a coincidence.

Comes in this year with a full preseason and a chance to really cement his spot with the addition of Mitchell to our mids taking some pressure off while he continues to develop his inside/outside game.

Expecting him to push forward this year to use his skills to kick 15+ goals. I'd also expect him to be in our best combination in the middle by the end of the year.

Seems to have a lot of time with the ball, we certainly haven't seen that as much inside yet- however with some confidence with going through the year this should hold him in good stead.

My pick is Dom Sheed.

Big fan of his so was very disappointed he was injured as much as he was last year.
His return last year coincided with our best run of the year last year, I don't think that is a coincidence.

Comes in this year with a full preseason and a chance to really cement his spot with the addition of Mitchell to our mids taking some pressure off while he continues to develop his inside/outside game.

Expecting him to push forward this year to use his skills to kick 15+ goals. I'd also expect him to be in our best combination in the middle by the end of the year.

Seems to have a lot of time with the ball, we certainly haven't seen that as much inside yet- however with some confidence with going through the year this should hold him in good stead.
A Shuey, Sheed, Duggan centre bounce by seasons end is erotic.

Vardy

His skills and athleticism will give him an edge over other ruckmen and make him very dangerous when he pushes out onto the wings and forward from a stoppage.

Even if Nic Nat or Lycett return his forward prowess will mean he fits the 2nd ruck role perfectly and may even push Darling out of a forward line position if he excels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gorter is one probably my player at WAFL this year i wanna keep an eye on. IMO he's type we need going into the future. at 191cm he is a perfect size for a modern day defender but more importantly has shown for EP that he can play on much bigger opponents. Would really like him developed into a KPD that can plays on taller opponents but can provide a bit of rebound also can match up on smaller opponents if needed. From what i see, he has good skills but is prone to a brain fart or two each game, so that needs to be ironed out. Would really like to see him given 2-3 years (unless he doesn't progress each year) so we got someone that can replace emac/schoey soon.

Gorter is one probably my player at WAFL this year i wanna keep an eye on. IMO he's type we need going into the future. at 191cm he is a perfect size for a modern day defender but more importantly has shown for EP that he can play on much bigger opponents. Would really like him developed into a KPD that can plays on taller opponents but can provide a bit of rebound also can match up on smaller opponents if needed. From what i see, he has good skills but is prone to a brain fart or two each game, so that needs to be ironed out. Would really like to see him given 2-3 years (unless he doesn't progress each year) so we got someone that can replace emac/schoey soon.
At least 1 of emac and schoey won't be here next year so gorter,watson and rotham should get opportunities if they perform ok

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IMO both Francis and Rotham should not be considered for his position both are more flanker type. Rotham down the line could be but he is physically and even developmentally long way off from playing as a kpd.

I'm tipping Luke Shuey to have a big year. We seem to be hand balling a lot more this season looking to put players in space. I'm tipping this game plan will suit Shuey being an inside/outside player. Added midfield depth with Mitchell, Sheed and Duggan should take some opposition defensive pressure off.
Going early, but Watson is my pick for next season.

IMO both Francis and Rotham should not be considered for his position both are more flanker type. Rotham down the line could be but he is physically and even developmentally long way off from playing as a kpd.
Schoey will probably only be played as a flanker now so these guys will eventually take his spot

Schoey will probably only be played as a flanker now so these guys will eventually take his spot

unless we go with 4 talls (pray too god it wont happen again) schoey will never play as a flanker. Gov rarely takes the best 2 talls so we need another guy tall that plays on a decent forward. Plus IMO schoey was never a good flanker should good glimpses but played a better lock down role on smaller kpd's, mid size forwards and even smalls.

I'm going with Kurt Mutimer will be the big improver in 2017 ,hopefully he gets a few games this year ..

Good call. Mutimer looks a likely lad, legs like tree trunks. If he can clean up his disposal he could be a player.

I doubt he will get an AFL game this year unless our wheels fall off but he could cement himself at EP league and set up a very good chance to push Hutchings to the side in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back