Your predict's for 2001

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, same here QT, hopefully we'll be able to jag a final as well. The difference between a 6th and 11th place finish is only a couple of games and with a bit of luck we'll be able to make that improvement. I don't care what everyone else thinks, I reckon we will be better in 2001.

I thik we'll just squeeze into the eight. As Ant said there is only a couple of games between 6 and 11 so if we make the eight we could just as easily finish a bit higher and jag a home game.

This year will really depend on how the second tier players go. We got nothing out of a lot of players last year and in a number of games it was only Roo and Bungi who kept us in it.

The defense is my biggest concern because we don't seem to be getting the rebound we did a few years ago from Smart, Hart, Bickley and co.

It's so hard to predict this stuff. Who would've thought St Kilda would've come last in 2000? Or that Essendon would've won 21 out of 22 games? I obviously don't know much about footy, because I don't know why everyone thinks the Power will do better than the Crows, even KG. Surely if our guys play to the best of their ability, and allowing for no injuries, we'd have to do better than them? Maybe my bias is coming thru. I guess the key words here are "play to the best of their ability", which didn't seem to apply last season.

• Banned
I think ppl have to remember 3 years ago we were back to back premiers

and that with a bit of luck, we can be right up their

we have the players!

I want to get an early bet on Kane Johnson in the top three in the best and fairest. Any takers?

I reckon Johnson will be up there. If the reports we are hearing are anything to go by, my money would be on McLeod.

I agree, between 6 & 9 is a fair call. The new assiistaint coach and training methods, new leadership team, good recruits, improvement from second tier players, further development of the lads who stepped up last year (Edwards, Goody) and an injury free pre season (Marsh & Clarke)are the main postives thus far and should ensure we have a respctable finish to season 2001.

Crow 54, what are they on about on 5AA? Can someone explain to me why people think Port will finish above us this year?

Jerome, Clarke's an interesting call. Didn't he win a B&F at Brisbane a couple of years ago. We saw nothing of him last year and will hopefully add something to the team this year.

Not sure about Marsh though. He's still young but a long way from being anything more than a handy ruckman.

Originally posted by Crow54:
It's so hard to predict this stuff. Who would've thought St Kilda would've come last in 2000? Or that Essendon would've won 21 out of 22 games? I obviously don't know much about footy, because I don't know why everyone thinks the Power will do better than the Crows, even KG. Surely if our guys play to the best of their ability, and allowing for no injuries, we'd have to do better than them? Maybe my bias is coming thru. I guess the key words here are "play to the best of their ability", which didn't seem to apply last season.

I think any team that plays to the best of there ability will win the majority of the games they play. Essendon certainly came close to playing the best possibly footy all year. Its too hard just to say, Port will do better than the crows, or vice versa. You have to analyse the lists. Who would of thought we would both of been down the ladder in 2000?? I certainly didnt.
I think Port and the crows both will be around the 6-10 mark..which is only about 8 points difference these days.
I think Port recruited better, and we JUST have a better list.
I guess i cant see the crows improving much under Ayres...he is useless.
I can see Port improving this year...with Lade back, Lockwood fit, Dew in the middle, and Nick Stevens in form and can see us making the finals...we showed form the last 8 games in 2000.
Its all confidence...confidence in yourself, and confidence in the coach

Originally posted by Jerome:
I reckon Johnson will be up there. If the reports we are hearing are anything to go by, my money would be on McLeod.

I agree, between 6 & 9 is a fair call. The new assiistaint coach and training methods, new leadership team, good recruits, improvement from second tier players, further development of the lads who stepped up last year (Edwards, Goody) and an injury free pre season (Marsh & Clarke)are the main postives thus far and should ensure we have a respctable finish to season 2001.

Crow 54, what are they on about on 5AA? Can someone explain to me why people think Port will finish above us this year?

explain to me why you think the crows will do better than port???
I think Port have a slightly better list...going down thru the second tier and third tier players. we showed good form the last end of 2000, if we played that way the whole year we would of made the 8. We were going VERY s**t last year, and the crows only finished 6 points up in the end..not much is it!!
I think our players are more confident under williams than what crows fans are under Ayres. I can see Port improving a lot, as we lacked confidence alst year for most of it...i cant see the crows improving all that much. You lost a lot of handy players...including Rehn...sure he may of had a bad 2000, i think that was because he didnt enjoy his footy under Ayres. You recruited Angwin, who by reports is meant to be very talented but soft as butter, you receruited another player who apparently is no where near ready for AFL footy yet.

SO tell me why you think the crows will do better than Port...ive given my reasons?

I find it hard to put in words why I think the Crows will do better than Port Power. Firstly, I don't take a lot of notice of Power players, but I do absorb a bit when I listen to the radio and read the paper. So therefore I can't say whether they're better than our guys. But I just have this mindset that the Crows are a SUPERIOR outfit altogether. he he

Secondly, even though people criticize Ayres, let's remember that Williams got a lot of criticism for his coaching last season. I think people were complaining that the Power dragged a lot of teams down to their level. And the Saints beat them, didn't they? Hmmmm. One argument is that the Power finished off well. I think the Crows finished off well in 1998 (didn't they win a Cup), and then slumped badly in 1999, so that argument would have to be suss.

Originally posted by Macca19:
explain to me why you think the crows will do better than port???
I think Port have a slightly better list...going down thru the second tier and third tier players. we showed good form the last end of 2000, if we played that way the whole year we would of made the 8. We were going VERY s**t last year, and the crows only finished 6 points up in the end..not much is it!!
I think our players are more confident under williams than what crows fans are under Ayres. I can see Port improving a lot, as we lacked confidence alst year for most of it...i cant see the crows improving all that much. You lost a lot of handy players...including Rehn...sure he may of had a bad 2000, i think that was because he didnt enjoy his footy under Ayres. You recruited Angwin, who by reports is meant to be very talented but soft as butter, you receruited another player who apparently is no where near ready for AFL footy yet.

SO tell me why you think the crows will do better than Port...ive given my reasons?

Hiya Macca,

I reckon the Crows will improve this year due to the following reasons:
1. The appointment of Ricuttio, Hart, McLeod and Goodwin as team leaders. No offence to Bickley and Smart who are fantastic leaders, but we have picked the best men to lead the club into the next decade. They are already having a very positive influence on the AFC. I can’t wait to see them in action!
To quote Mr Ayers:
"Much has been said and written about Mark Ricciuto and the other group leaders and I wish to praise them for their efforts so far. All are working very well on the field with Roo in particular a loud and inspiring voice among the team. They are enforcing their own disciplines and responsibilities on the group and their enthusiasm is infectious- even amongst the coaching staff. It is obvious – they want to be successful."

2. The return Of Neil Craig to the coaching staff. He has helped implement new training programs to ensure the players (specifically the midfielders) are 100% fit to play in the middle. I have also read reports of changes to the gameplan so that it is less predictable and more attacking. I have also heard of an interview with John Reid on 5AA where he states Ayers has a different approach to this year and is far more positive. If that's the case then that's great.

3. I think that the squads pre season preparation has been very good. We only have three injuries. Vardy, Burton and Bienke should be OK by Round 1, but its early on in the year and there is no need to rush them. We also don't have anyone coming back from knee injuries (Marsh) or interstate studies (Clarke) as we did least year.

4. With a good preseason under their belts, it should help lift the confidence of several players. I would love to see Goodwin, Robran and Edwards continue their good form from last year. A fit and injury free season from Kane Johnson and Mark Stevens would be a huge plus. I'm also expecting improvement to come from Biglands, Stenglien, Burton, Vardy and Welsh, Pierre and McGregor. Clarke and Eccles really need to pull their fingers out this year. Just quietly, I'd like to see O'Loughlin and Matt Shir get a few more games too.

5. I think our recruiting and our squad over all is quite good. I have always felt that... I think that poor player preparation and bad player management from the coaching staff have contributed to our lack of success in 99 & 2000. I am happy with the preason recruiting. We cleared out some deadwood (some of which I was sad, in one case furious to see go! we could have delisted Byrne as well) but I think we addressed a few weaknesses in our team, which is all a supporter can ask for at this time of year. We needed another ruckman and got Angwin. We needed some key forwards and got Hewitt, Smith, Bown and Richardson (who is making a helluva impression down there) we needed additional midfield depth and got Bode, Ladhams, Dougherty and Johncock. We needed another defender and got Handby.
Some of these guys need some time in the SANFL and an another preaseason under their belt before they make an impact. However, Bode, Ladhams, Hewitt, Dougherty, Richardson and Bown have some AFL & SANFL experience and preasesaon training behind them and should press for selection. I expect Richardson, Hewitt, Bode and possibly Ladhams to be in the team by Round 1, which is what we need. We finished 12th so we need new guys to come in and make an impact straight away. Dougherty, Angwin (has 4 other ruckmen in front of him), Handby and Johncock (what can you tell me about this guy, he looks a likely type) may also get a Guernsey as the season goes on.

As for your criticism of Angwin and I think you are also referring to Smith - I'm not expecting them to set the world on fire, I just want them to learn their craft well at SANFL level for 2001. If they get games at AFL level that is a bonus. They need time. Much like Ports new recruits. This isn’t questioning their talent, but I think only Wakelin is a certainty to play every game. The rest have a lot to learn and may get a few games off the bench. I think Russell Ebert said as much last week on 5AA. As previously mentioned, I think the SANFL and AFL experience of some of our recruits is a real bonus and gives our list additional depth.

Sorry for the length of this post, but ya did ask for a response!

Cheers

Jerome

Originally posted by Crow54:
I find it hard to put in words why I think the Crows will do better than Port Power. Firstly, I don't take a lot of notice of Power players, but I do absorb a bit when I listen to the radio and read the paper. So therefore I can't say whether they're better than our guys. But I just have this mindset that the Crows are a SUPERIOR outfit altogether. he he
B]

I'm with you there Crow 54!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Spogs:
Jerome, Clarke's an interesting call. Didn't he win a B&F at Brisbane a couple of years ago. We saw nothing of him last year and will hopefully add something to the team this year.

Not sure about Marsh though. He's still young but a long way from being anything more than a handy ruckman.

Clarke did indeed win a B& F, but his last two AFL seasons have been crap. Even in last years AFC Yearbook it opened saying he was coming off a bad year. With interstate studies and injuries out of the he should have a good year - he bloody needs to!

I have a lot of time for Ben Marsh. His form was very inconsistant last year and he lost his way a bit - I dont think he had the full confidence of the coaching staff? I am really hoping he can improve this year, I think he will be key player in our side for years to come.
If Biglands, Clarke and Marsh can fire for us this year we are a good chance to make the 8 IMO.

cheers

Jerome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back