Opinion Your preferred midfield makeup

Remove this Banner Ad

Centre Bounce Attendance (Q3 15:00 to 3QT)
7 - Liberatore
6 - Treloar
5 - Bontempelli
4 - English
3 - Macrae, Martin

Incredibly Macrae our best clearance winner over the past 2 months attended just 3 of the 7 centre bounces.
Thanks for that. Can’t wait for Dunkley to have a full year next.
He should be the main man in there

As much as I love him think we have to prepare for life without Libba. He's been great this year but the end will come quickly after doing that many knees. Dunks the obvious replacement which adds more size and a bit more pace too. Garcia and West possibilities
Think it has come time to move Libba to being that pesky small forward. Can always let him have a surprise go at the centre bounce to change it up. Dunks to get more mid time, West/Garcia if they put in a monster preseason.

Here is our summary from the 2021 season...

Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.40.01 pm.png

CBA = Average centre bounce attendances per match, CB FP - % = Percentage of CBAs that result in the first possession, CBC - % = Percentage of CBAs that result in the centre clearance

I said in the main game rap, you can’t stand still, need to constantly evolve.

I’d love Libba forward with stints in the middle giving Dunks more time. I’d also through the challenge to Bailey Smith, improve his two way running become our Oliver or Petrucca. Challenge Richards to own a wing like Langdon.

Do whatever we can to get an aggressive ruck.

I had a look while I was still numb last night - wasn't fun.

From Fritsch's first goal to to the 7th of the quarter, I believe it was:

Libba-Macrae-Treloar
Libba-Macrae-Treloar
Libba-Macrae-Bont
Libba-Macrae-Bont
Libba-Treloar-Bont
Libba-Treloar-Bont
Libba-Treloar-Bont

And a mix of Martin and English as ruck.

At all 7 the positional setup was exactly the same. Players at 4 o'clock, 7 o'clock, 10 o'clock. Libba at 7'oclock rotates to the defensive side of the contest to theoretically stop that easy clearance exit. At all 7 our wings start in the middle of their wing and walk slowly inwards when the ball is bounced.

If we changed our setup to try to stop their run, I didn't notice it.
[/QUOTE
I think we lost this game because we had 2 very underdone ruckmen in English and Martin. This has been an issues we have had for the last three years at least. Tonight it bit us on the bum. Also we need a solid defence. I would give Schache a good backline coaching period. he will learn quickly. also Gardner. we have good smalls in Garcia and vdm developing. anyway, our future looks bright. hang in there boys and girls. the boys are coming back in 2022.

Last edited:
I had a look while I was still numb last night - wasn't fun.

From Fritsch's first goal to to the 7th of the quarter, I believe it was:

Libba-Macrae-Treloar
Libba-Macrae-Treloar
Libba-Macrae-Bont
Libba-Macrae-Bont
Libba-Treloar-Bont
Libba-Treloar-Bont
Libba-Treloar-Bont

And a mix of Martin and English as ruck.

At all 7 the positional setup was exactly the same. Players at 4 o'clock, 7 o'clock, 10 o'clock. Libba at 7'oclock rotates to the defensive side of the contest to theoretically stop that easy clearance exit. At all 7 our wings start in the middle of their wing and walk slowly inwards when the ball is bounced.

If we changed our setup to try to stop their run, I didn't notice it.

Here is the full rundown from Fritsch's goal to 3QT. Macrae only attended 3 and none from when it started to become a tidal wave. Melbourne didn't change their set-up once in that run and the fact they scored 3 goals in 47 seconds of game time (last 3 goals) suggests the mix of English, Liberatore, Treloar and Bontempelli isn't a great set-up. Macrae was our best centre clearance winner in the second half of the year, hard to believe we didn't actually use him at the most crucial moment in the game.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.46.01 am.png

Last edited:
Here is the full rundown from Fritsch's goal to 3QT. Macrae only attended 3 and none from when it started to become a tidal wave. Melbourne didn't change their set-up once in that run and the fact they scored 3 goals in 47 seconds of game time (last 3 goals) suggests the mix of English, Liberatore, Treloar and Bontempelli isn't a great set-up. Macrae was our best centre clearance winner in the second half of the year, hard to believe we didn't actually use him at the most crucial moment in the game.

View attachment 1247000

Great stats Oliver. I re-watched it again last night. Easier to analyse after the fact, yet I think they should have thrown in Dunks (defensive) instead of Treloar (offensive), especially after a few clear takeways. The last two inside 47 seconds broke the back. No back sweeper was strange. Jackson a huge part of that. His aggressiveness and follow up vs English, laconic style was a factor.

Also Schache deserved a free in front of goals just before the final 3 goals the Dees kicked. That would have put it even at 3 quarter time. Having said that the Dees would have over powered us in the last. It was their year, just as it was ours in 2016.

Next year with tweaks and bringing in some fresh guys with new roles and we can win it.

View attachment 1247000

Yeah nah, that's nuts.

Libba should of been out for Dunkley for some of those, hell when it's getting to that level I would of thrown Smith in over Bont/Macrae. We really need to start switching it up more and getting these younger guys more inside mid time.

Great reading in this thread
Here’s my two bob’s worth
Bringing guys into the midfield more like Dunks / Baz means 2-3 have to take a sideways step
Reckon there will need to be some difficult conversations with 3 players I reckon and how they react will determine a lot of where 2022 ends up
Macrae , Libba and maybe Hunter are the 3 for me that just have to be open minded and accept they have to add another dimension to there game
Things need to evolve year to year
Maybe Bont forward more often given our numbers through midfield

Here is our summary from the 2021 season...

View attachment 1246875

CBA = Average centre bounce attendances per match, CB FP - % = Percentage of CBAs that result in the first possession, CBC - % = Percentage of CBAs that result in the centre clearance
Would be good to know what the centre bounce make up was prior to round 7? I reckon Dunkley’s attendance would be much higher.

Appreciate the stats and analysis mate.

Would be good to know what the centre bounce make up was prior to round 7? I reckon Dunkley’s attendance would be much higher.

Appreciate the stats and analysis mate.

Average CBA Per Match (R1-R6)
23 - Macrae
20 - Martin
18 - Bontempelli
16 - Liberatore, Sweet
13 - Dunkley
12 - Treloar
7 - English
3 - Young
1 - B. Smith

So all the stats and reviews by posters point to Macrae and Dunkley having to be 2 of the 3 mids, but we don't use one at all and the other for a couple of centre bounces while oppo runs riot.

Tactical brilliance in the coaches box, no defensive moves, in fact no moves at all to stem the tide, not even positiong of mids. I can see why you wouldn't make the moves though, its just another game, eh Bevo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have the CBA’s before Treloar and Dunkley went down? Seemed to work pretty well then..

The CBAs prior to Dunkley going down are in the post two before yours and the averages for R1-10 are...

24 - Sweet
22 - Macrae
20 - Martin
19 - Bontempelli
17 - Liberatore
13 - Dunkley
12 - Treloar
7 - English
5 - B. Smith
3 - Young
1 - Bruce

Not sure how we can fit him in the wing rotation but i'd love to see VDM's defensive speed and run downs used in the midfield. Besides the ruck situation i really think the key to improving is adding a quick defensive player to the midfield. There is something with team chemistry and it seems we are better with two of R.Smith, McNeil, Scott, Hannan running around. Even though individually they are not better than a lot of other players. Reckon VDM would be great rotating to the wing or being the half forward that comes up. And Garcia to take VDM's role in the pocket. Let our gun mids be themselves and compliment them with these types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back