NFL Your Proposed NFL Rule Changes/Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
1) Only blatant/egregious penalties will be called.

2) College hash marks.

3) Introduce the rouge scoring from CFL.

4) Rugby style onside kicks, fair catch suspended for onside kicks only.

5) Return to one-platoon football (maybe not).

6) Finite substitutions, not unlimited.

7) TD scorer to kick PAT (maybe not).

8a) Kick-offs that fly out the back of endzone or fly out the sideline is a penalty, restart from 40 yard line.

8b) Kick-offs that bounce in-field then go out the sideline, play restarts from where it went out.

8c) Kick-offs that bounce in-field or inside the endzone, then roll out the endzone, remain a touchback.

9) Inside 2 minutes each half, clock always stops end of play and only restarts when official spots the ball.

10) Wild Card teams with a better W-L record than Division winners get home field advantage in playoff.

11) Overtime only for the post-season...both teams get one offensive drive each minimum, game ends when one team cannot maintain a tie. Kick return TD counts as offensive drive. Defensive TD or Safety ends game irrepective.

12) PATs to be kicked from parallel to where the TD was scored, not from the hash mark.

13) Extend Legal Contact from 5 yards to 10 yards.

16) Blocked PATs/FGs/Punts that fall forward of the LOS can still be returned.

17) A legal forward pass is re-defined as one that crosses the LOS, so now there can be multiple forward passes behind the LOS, allowing more trick play nuances...and also means things like shovel/dab passes are considered rushing yards.

18) Remove the Ineligble Receiver Downfield rule. OL do not have to report eligble. They can all run routes and catch passes if so drawn up. Also makes it something officials don't have to monitor when OL are purely blockers and just poorly time moving ahead of the LOS like on screen passes.

19) Fumbles out of bounds including opposing endzone result in a turnover of possession.

20) Automatic review system, no coach challenges.

^Disagree all of those.

One I want changed is if fumble rolls into EZ and out of bounds then it’s simply a loss of a down and repeated from same spot. You only lose possession if a 4th down.

^Disagree all of those.

One I want changed is if fumble rolls into EZ and out of bounds then it’s simply a loss of a down and repeated from same spot. You only lose possession if a 4th down.
There are only a handful of them i really like tho. Eg, forward pass, eligible receiver, legal contact, kickoffs, OT, onside kicks, blocked kicks, egregious penalties.

didnt think of it until your post gg (ps. I disagree with every one of your suggestions - except 14 and 15) but your 8a/b/c made me think.

I suggest a kickoff which goes through the uprights result in the ball being placed at the 20 yard line, maybe even 15 yard line rather than the 25 yard line.

Overtime...
There should be no OT for regular season games. A tie is a tie. OT should only exist for post-season sudden death play.

As for the type of OT rules? So many ideas. One off the top of my head is....each team gets two possessions from their own 20. Team who scores the most points from two full possessions wins. No PATs allowed, only 2 pt attempts. If still tied, next score wins.

There should be no OT for regular season games. A tie is a tie. OT should only exist for post-season sudden death play.

As for the type of OT rules? So many ideas. But simply give both teams one possession each, next score wins after if still tied. At least each team gets a possession. Which is the crux of the complaints.

Two coin tosses.

First toss winner decides whether the second toss winner punts or not away team calls heads or tails
Second toss winner (see first toss) home team calls heads or tails

Not sure about reality, but perception would be the team getting what it wanted would have needed two winning tosses

Say for example SF GB went to OT, toss winner might have chosen to punt as the defences were well on top

Come to think of it this would work in a lot of sports, and not just overtime

Last edited:
Kick Offs have become a dead play. Tweak rules to make it viable, so more kicks are returned.

Spot the ball at 40 if the kick goes out the endzone on the fly.

Spot the ball at 10 if the kick bounces in field then exits endzone.

Spot the ball at 20.if kick bounces in the endzone them exits endzone.

No touchback/kneeling otherwise, the ball must be returned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick Offs have become a dead play. Tweak rules to make it viable, so more kicks are returned.

Spot the ball at 40 if the kick goes out the endzone on the fly.

Spot the ball at 10 if the kick bounces in field then exits endzone.

Spot the ball at 20.if kick bounces in the endzone them exits endzone.

No touchback/kneeling otherwise, the ball must be returned.

They dont want kicks being returned, thats why they moved it out to the 25 from the 20.

I know, but time to make them want it returned. The game and kick offs are safer now. So bring it back.

I agree, just saying I dont think its realistic given their stance. More chance of them disappearing permanently than encouraging more returns

Regular season, no OT. OT only for post-season play where a winner must be determined.

Idea #1 ... One possession each in OT (unless defense scores). If still tied, next score wins. Gives each team a possession at least, which is the crux of the OT complaints.

Tweaking Brasher's idea...

Idea #2 ... No punting. If you don't advance the ball the other team will have the ball deep in your territory. Would encourage the team winning the coin flip that defending first could be a preferred option at times. Gives the defense some currency of power in OT.

Doing a search on OT rules the one thing which sticks out is no toss, just extend q4 until the next score occurs. I wonder if that would affect time management in every game though?

Regular season, no OT. OT only for post-season play where a winner must be determined.

Idea #1 ... One possession each in OT (unless defense scores). If still tied, next score wins. Gives each team a possession at least, which is the crux of the OT complaints.

Tweaking Brasher's idea...

Idea #2 ... No punting. If you don't advance the ball the other team will have the ball deep in your territory. Would encourage the team winning the coin flip that defending first could be a preferred option at times. Gives the defense some currency of power in OT.
I like the no OT in regular season…if you’re not good enough to win within the 60 mins ..bad luck..just as in AFL. Don’t think it’ll ever be implemented though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back